Xtratime Community banner

Samuel Yeboah to naturalize for Israel NT?

893 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Crackedpleasures 
I see you accidently put someone elses reply in my own post. No probs, accidents happen :) I basically said that I would welcome him as an asset because he is a great player, but that with naturalisations we always need to look if he has a heart for Israel or if he only looks for exposure in international tournaments. If the Israeli feeling is there, he is welcome I would say.

Also keep in mind, unless one can make Aliyah (is he jewish??) naturalisation can take a while. Look at Toto Tamuz, it took him long time to get citizenship even though he grew up in Israel. In case of Collautti it went smoothly though, but unless Aliyah is involved it can be a long term process to get Israeli citizenship.

In theory you qualify for Israeli citizenship
1) immediately if you are Jewish, have Jewish ancestry proven, or are partner of a Jew (the aliyah law)
2) after 3 years of residence in Israel in any other case

So 3 years should be enough to get the passport in theory. In pracrise bureaucracy makes it a bit more complicated and not everyone gets it done smoothly. Remember Toto Tamuz, and he had been living in Israel for 14 years already ... it still took him months and months of paperworks before he got citizenship.

Israeli bureaucracy is like a huge wall you are bouncing against ... So it would surprise me if his Israeli ID would be ready to pick up and if he would be ready to play for Israel already. Some other players who naturalised needed several months before the procedure was completed, only Collautti had it more or less smoothly (but he is in a different situation as he married an Israeli citizen). If Yeboah indeed chooses to play for Israel, it can take another few months before he is really officially naturalised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.