Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the disappointing defeat vs Parma a new chance at Marassi.
The week started with a duel Novellino-Del Neri.
The coach of Chievo one week ago said: "Everybody refers to Sampdoria as 'the surprise', but they have very good players compared to us and they are just 2 points (now 1) in front of us".
Novellino did not appreciate and answered: "Probably someone envies our successes".
Samp-Chievo has always been a tough match for Samp in serie B. In the last match at Marassi the score was 1-1 just thanks to the formidable saves by Sereni. Of course now the teams are much different, Samp much stronger, Chievo probably weaker.
Falcone and Flachi should be back :happy: , but while Falcone will start on the pitch (replacing Carrozzieri), Flachi will probably start on the bench. No bans.
So probable lineup: Antonioli - Zenoni, Conte, Falcone, Bettarini - Diana, Volpi, Donati (or Palombo), Doni - Bazzani, Cipriani. With Flachi ready to enter.
Last note: without Flachi we gained just 3 points in 4 matches.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Serie A Week 23 - 29/2/04 (15.00)
Sampdoria - Chievo

Stadio Marassi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sampdoria will be keen to get back on the UEFA Cup trail after their unfortunate 2-1 home loss to Parma. Doria lost that tie thanks to a goalkeeping blunder from Francesco Antonioli before they were denied a clear last minute penalty.

There is mixed news for boss Walter Novellino. Giulio Falcone returns after injury but key man Cristiano Doni won¡¦t be available. The Italian international is suspended and will be replaced on the left of midfield by Zivkovic.

Chievo on the other hand will be travelling to the Marassi in the hope of gathering at least a point to add to the one they collected last week against Lazio. However, fortune seemed to favour the Flying Donkeys as the Biancocelesti had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside before also missing a penalty.

This is a different Chievo to the entertaining ones of the last two seasons. But Coach Gigi Del Neri insists their objective is still the same ¡V to reach 40 points which would ensure another season in top-flight football.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sampdoria (probable): Antonioli; Zenoni, Conte, Falcone, Bettarini; Diana, Donati, Volpi, Zivkovic; Cipriani, Bazzani

Chievo (probable): Marchegiani; Moro, Barzagli, D¡¦Anna, Lanna; Luciano, Perrotta, Baronio, Santana; Pellissier, Cossato

Ref: To folllow

channel4

·
Registered
822 Posts
ToniSamp said:
No bans.

Originally posted by Carson35
Giulio Falcone returns after injury but key man Cristiano Doni won¡¦t be available. The Italian international is suspended and will be replaced on the left of midfield by Zivkovic.
Which one is true?

·
Registered
46,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mine, Lennon. ;)

Channel4 this (?) time pissed out of the WC. :tongue:

Two players were booked in thelast match vs Parma: Doni and Carozzieri. For both it's the 6th yellow card and since the ban is after the 8th yellow card they are not even in the list of players who risk the ban after the next yellow card.
My source is the best possible: www.lega-calcio.it "Official communications: disciplinary commission" ;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
I suppose you'd have liked to be wrong, though, since having Doni on the pitch is "like playing with ten men"!:howler:

I'm happy though, Doni is class on a good day and I think he provides a lot of spark to the attacking options.

·
Registered
46,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lennon said:
I suppose you'd have liked to be wrong, though, since having Doni on the pitch is "like playing with ten men"!:howler:
Since I'm a dreamer I always dream to see the old Doni, that of Atalanta, so I would always put him in the starting lineup and I think Novellino puts him in the starting lineup for the same reason ("those with good feet must always play"). When I say that it's like playing with 10 players I exaggerate. The truth is that he defends and cover his zone more than any other offensive midfielder, he works hard, but when attacking he often wastes everything with wrong passes, shots etc. A bit annoying! :fero:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Since I'm a dreamer I always dream to see the old Doni, that of Atalanta
buonanotte and sweet dreams toni:eek: :D :tongue: ;)

since we know that he has the ability to offer but he doesnt, it s time for him to start warming the bench so he can have some time thinking what he is doing wrong.

·
Registered
46,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read that the midfield will be Volpi-Pedone (with Palombo and Donati on the bench) but I also read that Volpi is not well and he could be replaced by Palombo.
Novellino did not like the performance of Donati in the last match vs Parma and this is the reason why he choses Pedone.
What can I say about this? Pedone is a good player, he gives geometry to our midfield, he is tactically an important player. A bit too old... but more reliable than Donati and Palombo probably.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Seems to be the ffical line ups

SAMPDORIA (4-4-2)
21 Antonioli F.
77 Zenoni C.
14 Conte M.
19 Falcone G.
3 Bettarini S.
23 Diana A.
17 Palombo A.
26 Pedone F.
27 Doni C.
7 Cipriani G.
9 Bazzani F.

(4-4-2) CHIEVO
Marchegiani L. 1
Moro F. 27
Barzagli A. 43
D' Anna L. 10
Lanna S. 23
Luciano S. 5
Perrotta S. 20
Baronio R. 8
Santana M. 81
Amauri C. 11
Cossato F. 24

No Volpi can be costly for Samp I feel but we will see. Chievo hav the usual line up and the wings will try and trouble the Samp full backs... two 4-4-2's against each other it will be interesting match!!!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Volpi did play and now Samp are hanging on for dear life to their 1-0 lead!!!

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Congratz to Sampdoria...

I want Udinese and Samp to join the UEFA Cup spot make it a little bit more challenging since Inter are slipping. :howler:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Tiring day...suffered 1-0...

Great samp,by the way,we need this point.

Just a comment:Flachi is back!He's not quite ready yet,but he will be great again.

We suffered in the midfield today,with Volpi that is suffering the problems he has since september (pibalgia),and with Pedone that in last 20 minutes was really tired.Doni...really a ghost today,just Diana did a good match on the right,realizing the goal too.

But on the right Zenoni is not helping him as in the beinning of the season,it seems that Novellino is asking him to stay in the defence,considering also that he failed many crosses in the past...
Falcone (back too) failed first things then grow up,he's really importamt.Conte...essential.Bettarini...failed a lot of things...again..

Bazzani today has been controlled by Chievo defence,with rude ways,while Cipriani did a good match,with speed and fantasy,not finding instead the relationship with Bazza.

Great Antonioli that saved the result with 7 incredible savings.He's the hero of today.

First half samp played for 20 minutes,then Chievo controlled us.
Second half Chievo created us many problems in last 20 minutes,but Antonioli saved.

Great the supporters at the stadium,also the north side did great chorus,almost like south one.

·
Registered
46,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I could not watch the match since I was away but I watched the highlights and... well! we can just thank super-Antonioli :strong: if we got 3 points. He brilliantly saved 3-4 shots.
I cannot comment the performance of Doni, but the PK... :rolleyes: Yet, at least the winning goal came from his long throw in.
Next week I'll surely watch the match and I'll be able to tell you more. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts