Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novellino will stay, say Samp Monday 20 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sampdoria have backed boss Walter Novellino to remain at the club despite falling to their fifth consecutive League defeat on Sunday.

The Doriani lost 2-0 at home to Palermo which simply fuelled rumours of a possible split between the club and the Coach at the end of the season.

But general director Beppe Marotta has looked to quash the speculation regarding the former Milan midfielder.

“He’s contracted to us until June 2008,” Marotta told Radio Anch’Io Sport on Monday. “If he’s still motivated enough to stay then he will.”

Samp finished Serie A in fifth place last term, but are struggling this time around and Marotta has looked to defend his side from mass criticism.

“We are not happy with the situation,” he added. “However, Roma, Lazio and Fiorentina are all having a good season after finishing the last campaign behind us.

“You have to take into account the value of your opponents when evaluating what has gone on in a season.”

Marotta was also quick to outline how Novellino’s plans have been disrupted by injuries to key players, especially in attack.

“The injuries are not an excuse but a point of fact,” continued the club’s transfer guru.

“We are suffering offensively and the fact that Emiliano Bonazzoli and Fabio Bazzani have been ruled out for the season has been a major factor.

“We are looking for Francesco Flachi to hit some form and take on the goal responsibility in attack.”

channel4

·
Registered
45,561 Posts
Today Novellino talked, tomorrow Garrone will!

As regards Novellino nothing interesting...

"Sampdoria is my present and my future" bla bla bla "The supporters are with us" bla bla "The responsibility for this situation is just mine" bla bla "With Bazzani and Bonazzoli we'd have 10 points more" bla bla "I must thank Garrone" bla bla "We need enthusiasm"

I'm certain that Garrone will tell us something more interesting, but I fear we won't listen to/read words we like but, rather, words like "the midtable is our real dimension" "the financial policy of the club won't change" etc. etc.

·
Registered
45,561 Posts
The chairman said that he is not worried at all by this situation, we have been unlucky with injuries, the financial plan for the next season has already been established etc. etc. etc. so nothing really new.

·
Registered
45,561 Posts
He deserves the sack just for talking: "We have backbone, we'll get out of troubles and have some satisfactions". Satisfactions? How? This season can't give us anything good!!!

BTW he has again been confirmed and I bet he won't be sacked even if Sampdoria lose all the games till the end.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Novellino safe, say Doria Tuesday 28 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sampdoria may have lost their last six League games but boss Walter Novellino has been assured that his job is safe.

“His position has never been brought into question,” stated director general Beppe Marotta. “We’ll go forward with him in the knowledge that these moments can occur in this game.”

Doria did start the campaign with realistic hopes of again qualifying for Europe, especially after finishing last term in fifth.

But the club have suffered from some rather spectacular inconsistent form, not helped by injuries to star strikers Emiliano Bonazzoli and Fabio Bazzani who have been ruled out for the season.

“It’s difficult to try to dissect what has gone wrong, this team is almost the same as last season’s,” added Marotta.

“The problem lies with the injuries to Bazzani and Bonazzoli. Without them we have been lacking an offensive terminal.

“We were scoring plenty of goals when those players were in the team, now we just can’t manage to score.”

The official insists that was the main reason why Samp lost 2-0 at the Stadio Olimpico to Lazio at the weekend.

“I wouldn’t say we were outclassed by Lazio,” added Marotta. “Yet it is inevitable that if you don’t score then sooner or later you run the risk of conceding. That has been happening for some time.”

The port club are now just 10 points above the relegation zone, but Marotta is not overly concerned with the slim threat of the drop.

“This shouldn’t be of any worry to us even if this is a very delicate moment for the club,” continued the director general.

“Looking at the situation, I think we just need to get a few things right in our heads in order to end this season in the best possible manner.”

channel4

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Carson35 said:
“It’s difficult to try to dissect what has gone wrong, this team is almost the same as last season’s,” added Marotta.

He has asked and in the same sentence he has given the anserw...

I am not a fan of shopping spree, and I appreciate that team has got a time. Time to grow up, to understand well. It is important. I find well-organised, fighting crew more valuable then a "casual group of artists" (even if they are great players). But form time to time If You want to improve You have to find a new face! And it has to be better player then players You already have in the team.

Just look at our mecato movements...

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Sacking Novellino now would make no sense at all.

As for next season, I'd keep him but only if a) he is 100% committed and b) him and the management work out a coherent transfer campaign.

I'm fed up of pointless transfers like Zauli and Iuliano going badly wrong. Part of the reason the team is the same as ever is because all of the new players we sign are deemed unsuitable by Novellino! Obviously he could do with being a bit more flexible: I don't get why Sala hasn't worked for us, and I'll be very angry if we loan Pagano out again and loan in someone else like Marchesetti (although it must be said that he seems to score lots in friendlies..) just cos they had a bust-up two years ago, etc. However, manager and club need to sit down and work out common targets, otherwise there isn't a lot point in carrying on.

I'll be very interested to see on what term Flachi renews (assuming he will). If he's still deemed by the club to be first choice then it's not a good sign: not only can any person on the planet see that he shouldn't be, but in particular Novellino isn't his greatest admirer and IMO expects someone new.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This post is long overdue...

I'm fed up with reading moronic posts about the need to sack Novellino and spend more money.

For those of you that have not yet got it, money does not fall from the sky. Yes, it would be nice to have lots of it, but we don't. Novellino obviously has certain flaws (i.e. he has way too many personality clashes - for example we could really do with Zauli now), but what good does sacking him do? Help us get some other passer by?

Mid-table mediocrity is our level for now, as in fact predicted by most of us in this forum, I'm just glad we beat Milan. Investing in youth development is obviously good, and I am glad we are managed by what appear to be honest, decent people. At a time when pretty much every club in Italy is run by dishonest w**kers which are threatening to bring down the whole of Italian football, we are actually a very commendable club.

·
Registered
45,561 Posts
zuenotto said:
This post is long overdue...
For those of you that have not yet got it, money does not fall from the sky.
It falls from Sky lately, but not for us unfortunately. ;)

I don't want Novellino to be sacked, but I can't stand him when he talks about possible satisfactions in this season.
This season is a complete failure and the fact that Sampdoria will be in serie A even in 2006-2007 is the only good thing (well, Genoa CFC can't even say that...). I don't expect him to say that this season is a failure, of course, nor I want it, but I'd prefer him to avoid promises he can't keep.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I agree that mid-table mediocrity is our level for now, and will be unless we suddenly uncover a bunch of Rooney's in our youth teams or Garrone goes mad and spends all of his money on us.

The only problem is that it's the level of about 7-8 teams (ie starting from Lazio down to those clubs battling for relegation), and it's a bit depressing to be very near the bottom of that pack.

We've all mentioned Novellino's defects (although I'd like to add that his post-Lazio match analysis was ridiculed by La Gazzetta for claiming that we had lots of chances when we actually had one half-chance), but overall he remains one of the best managers we could hope for, and I'd like to stress that the most important thing for next season is that manager and club act in harmony.

The fact is that a random Palombo noone's heard of can turn out to be a fundamental player for us, while someone like Zauli can turn out to be a big flop, so they really need to work on getting a team that will work for Novellino.

After that, there are obviously factors beyond manager and management's control (injuries, luck during games, players missing open goals, etc), but it's imperative that we don't make things more difficult for ourselves by giving Novellino (or any other manager) a team where he only rates about 12-13 of the 20+ players.

·
Registered
45,561 Posts
bogliaschino said:
overall he remains one of the best managers we could hope for
Yes, his results talk for him: always promoted from serie B to serie A, never relagated from serie A to serie B. This season is the first flop of his carreer.
Yet, his football is rather dull as regards the offense. I wonder how it is possible that a team can't score a goal in 500 minutes just because there is not a centerforward. I mean: alternative roads to "high ball to Bazzani or Bonazzoli" should exist for a team which wants to score a goal.

·
Registered
823 Posts
ToniSamp said:
alternative roads to "high ball to Bazzani or Bonazzoli" should exist for a team which wants to score a goal.
I agree, but that is very hard when you insist on playing Flachi, a player who has been nothing short of useless this year. Once it became clear the Bazzani and Bonazzoli were out, I would have gone for broke and play Foti and Kutuzov together for an extended run. Next week we have Colombo and kutuzov, and the week after? I think he is changing things around too much up front, all to keep Flachi from losing his temper....

·
Registered
239 Posts
bogliaschino said:
After that, there are obviously factors beyond manager and management's control (injuries, luck during games, players missing open goals, etc), but it's imperative that we don't make things more difficult for ourselves by giving Novellino (or any other manager) a team where he only rates about 12-13 of the 20+ players.
That's been a major concern for us, lack of depth and it's hurt us badly this season. The fact he's staying brings about an aura of stability. Novellino is allegedly a very tactically astute coach, next season I hope he's bolder insofar that Flachi should be dropped if he remains ineffectual. Also providing it's true what I've heard about Samp playing boring, predictable football i.e route one, then this needs to change. We need more intracate tactics than that.

Hopefully next season is a vast improvement, not just in terms of football but relating to the harmony and attitude of everyone involved in the club. Diana and Flachi have been the main culprits, I'm sure others can identify more. Anyway Forza Samp, a few goals and a clean sheet would be very nice.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Honestly, the chairman must invest alot more then he has until now. Sure you might surprise at times and perhaps land as 4th meaning CL next year. But That's only if you "overachieve". As I see it, Samp will only be the "regular" type of team, it will float between 7th and 10th. The Doriafans deserve much more then that.

If the chairman is not up to it then he should find another solution for the best of the team.

As Toni said, Novellino shouldn't give false promises, but one can wonder what can he say when he doesn't have the financial backing from his boss?

And that the Sky deal sucks is another bad thing but that's what the entire serie a is facing (bar the big 3 that is..)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts