Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody explain to me the identity differences between Samp and Genoa fans? For example, i heard Genoa fans were very pro-English and display that on the terraces?

·
Registered
823 Posts
genoa was founded by british expats in the 19th century. The club is oficcially called Genoa Football and Cricket Club, although I don't beleive thay still play cricket. In any case they are the first football club in italy, and can boast an impressive history.

As you would expect, there is fierce rivalry between the fans, although unlike other cities, the rivalry is purely with regards to football, and not political. You could say that Genoa are a kind of Man City (the original team of the city that has recently gone through hard times) and Samp the Man U (a conglomerate of other teams from around genoa, and latterly the more successful) ....however, this analogy will only take you so far.

The Genoa fans like to think they support the original team with the most history and more league titles....the samp fans don't care and point out that the 1920's championships had about three teams in it.

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
The main difference between Sampdoria and Genoa fans is that most of the Genoa fans (those under 80 years old) never saw their team winning a scudetto and that all of them know that their team is the second in Genova since Sampdoria exist, so they just live thanks to nostalgic memories. One of them is the fact that they were the first football club created in Italy (thanks to the Englishmen who brought football to Italy) and this fact probably makes them pro-English, but I doubt that there is a true political implication.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Assuming Preziosi doesn't suddenly leave Genoa (and take half their players and leaving the club practically bankrupt, like he did with Como..) they'll do well in the next few years. Milito is meant to be quality (I heard some big clubs, including Real Madrid (!) were interested in him..), and the're happy to flash the cash, though as Fiorentina are demonstrating this isn't a guarantee for immediate success.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Even though you always enjoy seeing your rival struggle, there is after all a certain charm to derbies. So in a way you'd welcome Genoa back, but that's more true for you people who live in Italy and can go to the game, than it is for the rest of us who'll probably have to settle for livescore.com...

·
Registered
823 Posts
FCB_Simon said:
and what about the red/white cross on the samp shirt? is that the cross of st george or another?
yep. Saint gearge is the patron saint of Genoa, as well as Barcelona, Venice, Portugal and errr an island called england.

·
Registered
823 Posts
and by the way, Saint george bacame the english patron saint long after he was genoa's.

and ironicaly he did not actually exist.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That's rich, Serie C but for the Catania buisness :pp ;)
Assuming Genoa do get promoted, it'll be great to see the derby della lanterna back in serie A. After all, what's the point of rivals if they never get to play each other;)

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
Romanticar said:
Genoa - breathtaking history, incredible fans, dozen of trophies
Sampdoria - merda :pp
I was just going to write about the fact that my Derby is above all Sampdoria-Torino, due to the facts that I live in Torino and that Torino fans are close friends of the supporters of Genoa (and they hate us much more than the same Genoa fans do! :dazed: )
My wish for the "friends" is a playoff for promotion to serie A between Genoa and Toro. :angel:
I can hardly explain what would be my sorrow in seeing one club condemning the "friend-club" to serie B. :cry:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
ToniSamp said:
I was just going to write about the fact that my Derby is above all Sampdoria-Torino, due to the facts that I live in Torino and that Torino fans are close friends of the supporters of Genoa (and they hate us much more than the same Genoa fans do! :dazed: )
My wish for the "friends" is a playoff for promotion to serie A between Genoa and Toro. :angel:
I can hardly explain what would be my sorrow in seeing one club condemning the "friend-club" to serie B. :cry:
:nono:

No no Toni, you will hardly be able to explain your sorrow when Toro and Genoa will enter Serie A together. :shades:

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
X Sampdoria: even if there is an odd kind of identification between the supporters of Genoa and Torino don't forget that Romanticar is a supporter of the Granata. Their managemant (Cimmi+Tilli) can hardly buy an ice cream... ;)

X Romanticar: Torino are a club I respect for their past, which is glorious, contrarily to Genoa's past, which is made with scudetti won in two days.
Yet, you should choose your friends in a better way and till you don't, you will have to share their miserable destiny. Cause they are even a bit jinx, I'm certain about this. :notlist: Look what happens to their other friends: Napoli and Pisa are in serie C! :stress:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts