Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I had to get the DVD. On Stone's commentary track, he breaks from his usual narration M.O. and instead waxes about the production troubles and budget cheats he took - saying that just this once, the ends justified the lying means it took to get the picture made...

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Back in my distant highschool days, when I wanted to be a crusading photo-journalist of the international press, this was my favorite movie. I still like it quite a bit, since James Woods plays a heel better than most actors. Heck, even Jim Belushi was halfway decent in it, and that has to be some kind of wonder, mirabile dictu.

RIO

·
Registered
55,810 Posts
well, i asked in another site, a general one, what the opinion of people about this movie.
this one seems the one which fit the most with my own opinion.

Brilliant film.

Loved it first time I saw it when I was quite young and fired up with revolutionary fervour. Then bought the DVD last year and watched it again. This time enjoyed the silliness of Oliver Stones' various excesses but still loved lots of other aspects - great script, realistic style, just the general extremism and mad courage it involved.

The DVD includes a making-of doc which includes various funny anecdotes. Stone apparently tricked the then Salvadorean government into letting him film there by giving them a false script portraying them in a glowing light. Then they found out and they all got kicked out, but went to Mexico to finish it. In both countries Stone was frustrated by the regime's unwillingness to let him fill the streets with enough fake corpses as he would have liked.

James Woods is great in it. Especially the scene in the confessional

1 - 6 of 6 Posts