Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 'Salva Calcio'- plan which would allow clubs to spread their debt over a 10 year period has been brought to an end by a part of the Italian government who refused to let it go through.

I can't decipher what exactly the consequences will be for us I just know it is really bad. :( Ugo Longo has expressed sadness that the plan didn't go through but says there is no problem for Lazio to register with UEFA. But he doesn't say anything about what is now going to happend to the debts. Am I the only one very worried about this complete silence? :(

Here's an article from soccernet:

Italy's government has shelved plans for a decree that would have helped bail out the country's cash-strapped soccer clubs, Welfare Minister Roberto Maroni said on Thursday.

The decree was expected to allow clubs to spread the payment of tax arrears over many years, putting them on a sufficiently sound footing to take part in next season's lucrative European competitions.

However, the proposal caused tensions within Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's coalition and Maroni's Northern League party refused to back the idea.

'The only thing that the League is prepared to spread out is Nutella, not debts,' Maroni told reporters after a cabinet meeting on Thursday. 'Therefore the decree has been shelved, definitively I hope.'

Italy's Corriere della Sera newspaper reported on Thursday that the European Union's competition authority, the European Commission, had also faxed Rome with its concerns about the plan.

The Brussels-based authority can block payments to companies that it judges to be unfair state aid.

The 'salvacalcio' or 'save soccer' law would have offered a lifeline to clubs rushing to get their books in order to meet end-of-the-month deadlines for UEFA.

European soccer's ruling body is introducing a club licensing regime next season. Clubs wanting to play in European competitions will have to abide by its financial regulations.

Maroni said that even with the decree, some clubs would not have been able to get their accounts ready in time.

A recent survey said the 18 clubs in Italy's top division, Serie A, posted a combined operating loss of 948 million euros ($1.2 billion) last season, with wages consuming 85 per cent of revenue.

Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who owns European champions and Serie A leaders AC Milan, had said a 'revolution' would explode on the football terraces unless the government acted to help Italian teams.

The day after that comment, a high-profile derby between Lazio and AS Roma, two of the most debt-laden clubs, was abandoned after crowd trouble triggered by a false rumour that a child had been killed by police.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
The summer will be interesting we will see if Lazio can register for Serie A...or Roma or Parma for that matter...

Even if they register for UEFA competition the standards for Serie A entry is higher and more complicated so UEFA license is worth squat...which is how Parma and other intend on proving their financially viable. It's become a joke...

·
Registered
256 Posts
From what I have heard, Longo has confirmed that we have no problems registering in next season's European competitions, whether or not we can register for Serie A next season, we have to wait and see!

For now, our objectives is to get the 4th spot and win the Coppa Italia, CL qualification would be the most important in my opinion because it will give us the much needed revenue which might help us some way or another to register for Serie A next season.

But I will not say that Lazio is safe once we qualify for the CL simply because the ongoing debts, its not going to end, we need a new owner who can give us a new lease of life and unless that happens, our future will be at a constant doubt!

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Inzaghino said:
From what I have heard, Longo has confirmed that we have no problems registering in next season's European competitions, whether or not we can register for Serie A next season, we have to wait and see!

For now, our objectives is to get the 4th spot and win the Coppa Italia, CL qualification would be the most important in my opinion because it will give us the much needed revenue which might help us some way or another to register for Serie A next season.

But I will not say that Lazio is safe once we qualify for the CL simply because the ongoing debts, its not going to end, we need a new owner who can give us a new lease of life and unless that happens, our future will be at a constant doubt!
Well as long as Lazio can prove they can pay for the seasons wages then it's all good.....if they can't prove it then they won't register for Serie A...

·
Registered
256 Posts
GaGa said:
Well as long as Lazio can prove they can pay for the seasons wages then it's all good.....if they can't prove it then they won't register for Serie A...
The wages is one thing but don't forget we still have the ongoing debts arising from player transfers, we paid a lot for them but we never got the money back.

The wages situation can be settled, no problem, the players are always willing to accept their overdue salaries in shares, but the problem we face now is how we can keep our best players and prove our financial security so that we can register for next season's championship

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
I'm of the opinion that getting paid in shares is not going to be a good option for next season. I know the Lazio players have accepted such packages before but the financial climate around clubs that are floated on the stock market is not very stable and Lazio posted a deficit this month which stopped trading...

I'm pretty sure that if your employer was telling you to buy shares in an ailing company you wouldn't invest your money...which is why some of the Lazio players never signed onto the Baraldi deal last summer...because they know Lazio are in no position to make them any real dividend payment for their investment so why exactly are they even buying shares if they will be worth nothing like they bought them for.

Lazio are really between a rock and a hard place...and I admire their gambling for CL football each and every season as a target to chip away at debt with some of the money...but in the long run I think they will need 10+ seasons to even get a majority of their debts lifted. And with the spalma debiti gone, a 10 year plan no longer exists so they have to consolidate their costs into a smaller time scale which is why...Lazio's debts will continue to rise because they based their business strategy on the spalma debiti...and Longo is really hiding the fact that most if not all the clubs that signed up for the spalma debiti were indeed in need of it and it's a huge blow as they could have spread costs over 10 years now it's only 2 years...

·
Registered
256 Posts
GaGa said:
I'm of the opinion that getting paid in shares is not going to be a good option for next season. I know the Lazio players have accepted such packages before but the financial climate around clubs that are floated on the stock market is not very stable and Lazio posted a deficit this month which stopped trading...

I'm pretty sure that if your employer was telling you to buy shares in an ailing company you wouldn't invest your money...which is why some of the Lazio players never signed onto the Baraldi deal last summer...because they know Lazio are in no position to make them any real dividend payment for their investment so why exactly are they even buying shares if they will be worth nothing like they bought them for.

Lazio are really between a rock and a hard place...and I admire their gambling for CL football each and every season as a target to chip away at debt with some of the money...but in the long run I think they will need 10+ seasons to even get a majority of their debts lifted. And with the spalma debiti gone, a 10 year plan no longer exists so they have to consolidate their costs into a smaller time scale which is why...Lazio's debts will continue to rise because they based their business strategy on the spalma debiti...and Longo is really hiding the fact that most if not all the clubs that signed up for the spalma debiti were indeed in need of it and it's a huge blow as they could have spread costs over 10 years now it's only 2 years...
Yes, I know getting paid by shares is not a permanent option to reduce our debt and make us more financially stable but its a temporary situation to put us in a better shape.

I beg to differ though, I mean with the exception of Chiesa and Stam, the rest of the players accepted Baraldi's plan which was to reduce the existing salary by 30% and pay their overdue salaries via shares in the club. Think of it this way, the shares may be worth nothing now, but this small step may bring Lazio to a new path.

I remembered Cesar forking out 475 000 to help Lazio and I think he is one of the very few players who have loyalty above greed in their minds.

Its true, our debts are mounting and that is why we are looking for alternatives, we are reducing our wage bill and stuff like that. I agree with you, we had based our strategy against the 10 year span but now its different, we have to construct a new strategy to cope with the change.

Lazio is not certain, we have to be able to support them in this time of need, we mustn't run away like many I have known!

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Biancoceleste said:
We need a new owner to fork out the money and pay the debts. That's the only way I see out of this mess.
Either that or a management capable of performing miracles. But the rich people willing to buy Italian clubs seem to be in short supply right now.:mad:

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Lazio chief reveals new plans:

Lazio president Ugo Longo has confirmed that the board of directors meeting on Monday will see some changes at the Rome-based club.
Longo announced that from now on, no player will earn in excess of €1 million-a-year in wages and that the club must start a new shareholders subscription.

"We have decided no salaries will exceed €1 million and will instead concentrate on developing our youth team," said the Lazio chief.

"After Easter, we will start the shareholders subscription that will continue until June, in time for the championship's inscription."

The board have also decided that the maximum amount of players in the Lazio squad will be reduced to 24 and that any player whose deal runs out in 2005, nine in all, will be asked to take a 50 percent pay-cut.

by Nadia Carminati (Sky Sports)

---------------------------------------

I guess it's better to reduce salaries than to go in Seria C. Didn't Parma do just that and they are still competitive? And we are supposed to have a bigger income than Parma, although with that crappy management, who knows...:mad: If no new owner is found, we will problably forget abou winning trohies and playing in the CL for a while but I'd rather have that than worrying all the time about whether Lazio would go bankrupt or not. But the problem is with our debts even that could prove not enough.:mad:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this, but I was wondering... if a club can't meet the requirements to register with the UEFA, what happens? I mean, I suppose that club won't be allowed to participate in the continental competitions that season. But who replaces them in the continental competition? Would it be the club immediately below them in the domestic league's standings, or what?
:confused:

Just curious. :)

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Garrincha said:
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this, but I was wondering... if a club can't meet the requirements to register with the UEFA, what happens? I mean, I suppose that club won't be allowed to participate in the continental competitions that season. But who replaces them in the continental competition? Would it be the club immediately below them in the domestic league's standings, or what?
:confused:

Just curious. :)
I think your going to have to wait as the formalities of such arrangements haven't been ironed out yet...it's new set of rules and regulations...

Wait till those who haven't met the UEFA requirements come out and we will see what happens...Personally I think the team below gets it...and if they haven't met it, then I guess the next team below that one...etc

Unless they decide to award it to another country...fairplay or something...

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Anomander Rake said:
I guess it's better to reduce salaries than to go in Seria C. Didn't Parma do just that and they are still competitive? And we are supposed to have a bigger income than Parma, although with that crappy management, who knows...:mad: If no new owner is found, we will problably forget abou winning trohies and playing in the CL for a while but I'd rather have that than worrying all the time about whether Lazio would go bankrupt or not. But the problem is with our debts even that could prove not enough.:mad:
Yeah we took on a reduction of salaries this was 2 years ago. But not under the €1m mark.

We have Morfeo and Frey earning in excess of a million € still...but we definetly got a head start on the rest...forward thinking indeed...:tongue:

I dread to imagine what would have happened if we didn't...would we have just accelerated out downfall a la Fiorentina...I would like to think so...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts