Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
What do you base your 'facts' on then?

Even when he is playing terrible, comparing Owen with Forlan is laughable. Forlan is nothing but an average smalltime player, Owen is a world class player on his day - Unfortunately playing for us he hasn't been anywhere near that for a season.

I wonder when GH will realise it's time to go. He's clutching at straws here. Maybe now that we are on the verge of losing our 4th place battle and go out of Europe? We can still save something out of this season, a new coach couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yasir said:
I think I can only add my frustration to Raanan and Micke's..

Poor result from a game which we seemed in total control of.. With all the talk about rotation.. the only difference was Biscan and Diouf back.. and Biscan creamed his return with the slip that led to the first goal!

Diouf didn't do much either.. but with that said, neither did Henchoz or Hyypia.. Hamann, Carragher, Baros and Dudek had average games.. while Kewell woke up late but huffed and puffed in vain.. Gerrard again put in a good performance but faded away mid way through the game.. the subs did nothing to add.. (Heskey had a good header saved.. that's it)..

As for Owen.. well it could be the frustration and disappointment.. but I agree with Raanan.. He's playing as if he's being pushed onto the pitch.. gets frustrated very easily (not very Owen-like).. and simply seems too pre-occupied to give in the performances he should be giving.. why is he starting? why is he taking penalties?!!!! unbelievable.. as I said before.. his penalty kick % can only match Shaq's free throw % (for a star player).. Unbelievably annoying to watch him these days..

I find the loss kinda too much for that kind of performance.. especially with Southampton asleep for around half an hour.. But I think our problems are getting clearer and clearer.. the missing creativity.. the defensive issues.. the time we need to conjure up an attack.. and the fact that we revert to hoof ball whenever we're in need of anything.. and of course Owen.. I don't want to be hard on the lad.. but I'm one of those who's club over player.. he's off form.. he should be dropped.. just as we asked for Heskey to be dropped when he was off form..!! :groan:
Excellent post match comments as usual, Yas.

I'm getting fed up of talking about these games. It's been the same story so many times this season it's just untrue. Everton, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Spurs and now Southampton. We could analyse the game to death but the simple fact is that we didn';t score our chances. It's that simple, if you can't put the ball in the back of the net you're just asking to lose. It's getting really repetitive now and again I find myself in sympathy with the reds who forked out £30 plus petrol money to see our £60k/week 'world-class' striker miss three chances that he should have scored blindfolded. Owen let those fans down big time today and his sh*te form coupled with immature defensive errors is seriously costing us.

Our next two games are at home to two sides in the relegation zone, unless Owen remembers how to score on an empty net from three yards, we could be ruing missed chances again. And stop taking penalties, dammit.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
going one down we weren't even likely to come back. then i saw we had missed a penalty and that just puts the icing on the fruitcake. simply terrible. i was following on ESPN live cast, the amount of shots we took compared to Southampton was laughable. I haven't seen the clips and I frankly don't want to.

Well, this loss has really turned me off. 2 defeats in the last how many games? thats a dumb statistic, truly. How many defeats is that now? Is this a team that wants to play in Champions League? I can see us getting mauled by Sparta Prague. Utter trash.

Ps. Owen we love you but we love Liverpool more.

Pss. Hou says Owen stays on PK priority list. and he's not dropping Owen either. Time for reality check Mr Houllier.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
going one down we weren't even likely to come back. then i saw we had missed a penalty and that just puts the icing on the fruitcake.
He also missed a one-on-one with the keeper and a open goal...

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bad result.

Can't comment cos I only listened to the 2nd half on the World Service.

But I can imagine the match.....

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Thank goodness I saved myself for this one to go for the Juventus-Milan game.

paw;)

·
International
1,878 Posts
Watched the matched in its entirety and ok, granted it was a derby, the Manchester one was a far better spectacle of football. In fact, I dozed off somewhere during the first half when watching the pathetic Houllierpool take on an average Saints side managed by an EPL rookie. In comparison, with the Toad's track record, one would have thought he would at least show the former Argyle gaffer a trick or two in terms of tactics.

Guess I have over-estimated our beloved gaffer.

We never got off the first gear. Little glimpses of promise came in the form of stringing 2 or 3 passes together but everything just went blah at the final third of the field where we had little creativity or firepower. The players missing from the game? Diouf(was he playing in defence? was he playing on the right? Gee... was he on the pitch at all?), Carragher (whose contribution to the match would be one of his crunching tackles and nothing more), Henchoz as well as Biscan.

When the team sheet came out and I saw how Henchoz is not playing in the centre of defence (reuniting the H-H partnership), I knew we were going to struggle in defence. So, the two goals scored by the Saints, all stemming from defensive errors did not really surprise me.

Well, at the end of it, the TV network did well not to show us the look on the Toad's face when the final whistle blew. I can imagine it will not be very far off from the look on his face when the might Pompey played Houllierpool off the park at Fratton Park.

Inter-Toto Cup! Here we come!

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Houllier admits defensive anxiety proving costly

Gerard Houllier has admitted his defence is suffering from a confidence crisis and that results are suffering as a consequence.

Liverpool again failed to hold onto a lead on Thursday when Marseille came back to snatch a 1-1 draw in the UEFA Cup tie at Anfield and it's a scenario that has happened far too often this season according to the Reds boss.

"We are failing to win when we go ahead probably because we do not have the same strength and confidence at the back that we have not been able to finish teams off when we take the lead. When we score only once, there is a bit of anxiety going round the team," says Houllier, who will be hoping for a return to winning ways at Southampton this afternoon.

"Our away form is not bad, we seem to get better results away, certainly in Europe. It is true that we sometimes struggle to beat a packed defence, so that is why we seem to do better away from home.

"There is a fine line between winning and losing, and a finer line between winning and drawing. On several occasions we should have won when we have drawn. It's a matter of maturity maybe, the knowledge of knowing how to keep a victory."

Houllier, however, is optimistic that his team can soon get this anxiety out of their system and adds: "Do not forget it is only a few weeks since we have had all our big players back, I believe things will continue to improve as the season continues."

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Extended Quotes

A furious Gerard Houllier blamed the linesman's decision on the first goal for Liverpool's defeat by Southampton at the St Mary's Stadium, and added James Beattie's goal was three yards off-side.

Houllier said he felt Liverpool should have won the game but publically backed under fire Michael Owen and added the Reds number 10 would continue to take the spot kicks should the opportunity arise.

Houllier said: "The turning point was the first goal and the linesman made a huge mistake as Beattie was clearly three-yards off-side. How could he miss it! We had more chances than them and their goalkeeper got man of the match. That tells you everything.

"This is a game we do not want to look back on as we feel hard done by with the linesman and not being clinical enough in front of goal. It is always difficult after a European game and we knew we wouldn't be at our best.

"I'm not worried about Michael Owen. He needs his manager now as he is going through a bad patch. He will be the first name on my team sheet against Portsmouth and he will continue to take the penalties."{/B]
----

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
With this fecking sh.it form and "owen's hattrick of penalty misses" i don't think we are able to finish fourth!

i am seriously wanting us to finish badly this season and make the board wake up for good! Eventhough if we finished fourth , i don't think its a correct judgement on our team! We are certainly not there yet!

Next season will be another disaster if we finished 4th! It's an illusion GH has cast on us! I prefer we start new, i.e new coach and some new players! oh yes! some garage sales as well!

My 2 cents on this beloved team of mine scrutinised by GH and Owen at the moment!:depress:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
liverpool??? what can i say about them this season...Rubbishh :D

D

·
0 Posts
comical nonsense from Houllier at the end of the game, i've watched the reply over and over, and Beattie was just in line with Phillips. Houllier, Biscan and Owen cost us on Saturday, two of them don't deserve to be at this club, and the third doesn't seem interested.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Interesting Article from BBC

Houllier must make own luck

By John May

Southampton 2-0 Liverpool
Ron Atkinson once said: "There are two types of manager, good ones and lucky ones - and I would rather be a lucky one."

On that basis, Paul Sturrock is likely to be around the Premiership a lot longer than Gerard Houllier.

Sturrock's reign as Southampton boss got off to the perfect winning start. And it was thanks to a huge smile from Lady Luck and a world-class keeper in Antti Niemi.

As for Houllier, he headed back to Merseyside, not only trying to remember when he had run over a black cat but also attempting to piece together an explanation as to how Liverpool came away empty-handed from a game they really bossed from start to finish.

And while Liverpool were unlucky, Houllier will have to come up with something better than that judging from the thunderous expressions on the faces of chairman David Moores and chief executive Rick Parry as they brusquely asked a steward to be shown to the dressing room.

They will want answers to the same questions for which Liverpool fans want explanations.

Questions like, why are Liverpool unable to keep a clean sheet? And how can they concede two goals to a team who only had two shots?

Questions like, why do certain Liverpool players consistently under-perform and show a complete lack of heart for the cause when Houllier has backed his judgement in bringing them in at vast expense?

Most of all, Moores, Parry, Liverpool fans and England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will want to know what has happened to Michael Owen.

England's top striker - and the bearer of the nation's biggest goalscoring hopes in Euro 2004 - looks a pale shadow of his former self.

Claims that he is going through a bad patch are looking hollow as Owen appears to be playing with his mind elsewhere, which in turn affects his penalty-box sharpness.

His second penalty miss in successive visits to the south coast just rounded off a calamitous afternoon for Owen.

By the time he placed the ball on the spot, he had already missed two gift-wrapped chances. The first was the sort of one-on-one duel with the keeper he used to put away in his sleep. The second led to him stabbing the ball against the post from three yards out.

No surprise that his body language spoke of a shrinking violet when preparing for his penalty. And no surprise that Niemi made a disconcertingly comfortable save from a weak kick.

You could see where one tabloid journalist wanted to take the post-match press conference as he questioned Houllier about claims that Owen regularly seeks racing tips from jockey Kieren Fallon.

Houllier shrugged off the allegations about Owen's gambling by stating: "That is his own private life."

But Houllier then offered the striker his backing and added: "Michael is going through a tough period and that is when he needs his manager to lean on."

Chairman Moores will want to know, though, at what point his manager thinks a player's private affairs affect his performance on the pitch.

Unfortunately for Houllier, he visited the last resort of the desperate by blaming officials, claiming: "The turning point was when the linesman made a major mistake for their first goal. How can he miss an offside that wasn't even close?"

Neither do Liverpool supporters want to hear their manager sourly and churlishly bleating: "Their goalkeeper was man of the match - and that tells you everything."

It says nothing to Liverpool fans why their team have only won once in seven Premiership outings and are wallowing in eighth place.

In contrast, Sturrock was like a man who had lost a penny but found a pound.

"The keeper kept us in it," admitted Sturrock, whose first Premiership half-time team talk must have been worth listening to.

"We had a few words," added Sturrock, who showed every sign of being a fast learner.

"People were trying to convince me they were footballers in the first half. They were playing sideways and backwards and when they did that they lost the ball."

Sturrock even got his key substitution spot on. He drew the sting from Liverpool's mounting pressure by boldly sending on Swedish midfielder Anders Svensson to retain the ball.

As happy as he was to start with a win, Sturrock is cute enough to know that he can only visit the well of good fortune every so often.

For his part, Gerard Houllier has got to stop blaming bad luck and, in the old football parlance, start making some good luck of his own.
---------------------------------------------

I think the board are finally starting to realise that the frustration felt by the fans is not just fans talking about.. and that there is some sense in what we're shouting out..

Houllier seems to have run out of ideas (actually, I believe he did about a year or more ago).. We know that.. it's good the board are finally getting to know the naked truth.. :depress:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Beattie was just in line with Phillips
I assume 'in line' no longer mean in line then?

D

·
0 Posts
Phillips stretched to play the ball, Beattie was in line with the ball as Phillips played it. It wasn't offside, Houllier is getting desperate

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Interesting Article from BBC

Yasir said:
Houllier must make own luck

By John May

Southampton 2-0 Liverpool
Ron Atkinson once said: "There are two types of manager, good ones and lucky ones - and I would rather be a lucky one."

On that basis, Paul Sturrock is likely to be around the Premiership a lot longer than Gerard Houllier.

Sturrock's reign as Southampton boss got off to the perfect winning start. And it was thanks to a huge smile from Lady Luck and a world-class keeper in Antti Niemi.

As for Houllier, he headed back to Merseyside, not only trying to remember when he had run over a black cat but also attempting to piece together an explanation as to how Liverpool came away empty-handed from a game they really bossed from start to finish.

And while Liverpool were unlucky, Houllier will have to come up with something better than that judging from the thunderous expressions on the faces of chairman David Moores and chief executive Rick Parry as they brusquely asked a steward to be shown to the dressing room.

They will want answers to the same questions for which Liverpool fans want explanations.

Questions like, why are Liverpool unable to keep a clean sheet? And how can they concede two goals to a team who only had two shots?

Questions like, why do certain Liverpool players consistently under-perform and show a complete lack of heart for the cause when Houllier has backed his judgement in bringing them in at vast expense?

Most of all, Moores, Parry, Liverpool fans and England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will want to know what has happened to Michael Owen.

England's top striker - and the bearer of the nation's biggest goalscoring hopes in Euro 2004 - looks a pale shadow of his former self.

Claims that he is going through a bad patch are looking hollow as Owen appears to be playing with his mind elsewhere, which in turn affects his penalty-box sharpness.

His second penalty miss in successive visits to the south coast just rounded off a calamitous afternoon for Owen.

By the time he placed the ball on the spot, he had already missed two gift-wrapped chances. The first was the sort of one-on-one duel with the keeper he used to put away in his sleep. The second led to him stabbing the ball against the post from three yards out.

No surprise that his body language spoke of a shrinking violet when preparing for his penalty. And no surprise that Niemi made a disconcertingly comfortable save from a weak kick.

You could see where one tabloid journalist wanted to take the post-match press conference as he questioned Houllier about claims that Owen regularly seeks racing tips from jockey Kieren Fallon.

Houllier shrugged off the allegations about Owen's gambling by stating: "That is his own private life."

But Houllier then offered the striker his backing and added: "Michael is going through a tough period and that is when he needs his manager to lean on."

Chairman Moores will want to know, though, at what point his manager thinks a player's private affairs affect his performance on the pitch.

Unfortunately for Houllier, he visited the last resort of the desperate by blaming officials, claiming: "The turning point was when the linesman made a major mistake for their first goal. How can he miss an offside that wasn't even close?"

Neither do Liverpool supporters want to hear their manager sourly and churlishly bleating: "Their goalkeeper was man of the match - and that tells you everything."

It says nothing to Liverpool fans why their team have only won once in seven Premiership outings and are wallowing in eighth place.

In contrast, Sturrock was like a man who had lost a penny but found a pound.

"The keeper kept us in it," admitted Sturrock, whose first Premiership half-time team talk must have been worth listening to.

"We had a few words," added Sturrock, who showed every sign of being a fast learner.

"People were trying to convince me they were footballers in the first half. They were playing sideways and backwards and when they did that they lost the ball."

Sturrock even got his key substitution spot on. He drew the sting from Liverpool's mounting pressure by boldly sending on Swedish midfielder Anders Svensson to retain the ball.

As happy as he was to start with a win, Sturrock is cute enough to know that he can only visit the well of good fortune every so often.

For his part, Gerard Houllier has got to stop blaming bad luck and, in the old football parlance, start making some good luck of his own.
---------------------------------------------

I think the board are finally starting to realise that the frustration felt by the fans is not just fans talking about.. and that there is some sense in what we're shouting out..

Houllier seems to have run out of ideas (actually, I believe he did about a year or more ago).. We know that.. it's good the board are finally getting to know the naked truth.. :depress:
good article and posts Yasir.

Perhaps if Marseille knock us out of the UEFA Cup, the board will see sense and sack Houllier while there's still time.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So Doc, do you buy in to the rumour that he has already resigned?

·
Registered
66 Posts
i am seriously wanting us to finish badly this season and make the board wake up for good!

:D i wish we lose all our games this season, and no Champion league, UEFA Cup, and even Inter-Toto Cup next season. Houllier will then loso his position and P.Thompson step up to take charge of the team.

I also wish some players will gone next season (Heskey, Daio, Biscan, Le Tellace, Cheyrou and Traore)

If we spend few million on some French starlets, I would rather support the club to develop another Gerrard or Owen in England

21 - 40 of 49 Posts