Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Soldier of Fortune
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What is the level of safety in Madrid? I am planning to go to Real - Athletic match from Poland, as the flights to Madrid are quite cheap now. I wonder whether it would be safe to go to that match as an Athletic fan ;) You know, in Poland it's never safe as a visitor, but maybe in Spain it's safer? Tell me :) I am not a fanatic, just a regular football fan who likes Athletic Bilbao and would like to see them in action :)
 

·
Boti Boti Boti
Joined
·
10,303 Posts
Doesn't matter where you are going to watch a game really... just don't wear the visiting team's shirts or celebrate their goals and you'll be fine... :tongue:
the Ultra Sur are motherfukkers...
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Vami said:
Hello,

What is the level of safety in Madrid? I am planning to go to Real - Athletic match from Poland, as the flights to Madrid are quite cheap now. I wonder whether it would be safe to go to that match as an Athletic fan ;) You know, in Poland it's never safe as a visitor, but maybe in Spain it's safer? Tell me :) I am not a fanatic, just a regular football fan who likes Athletic Bilbao and would like to see them in action :)
mmm... normally it should be safe in any place of the stadium, except the South stand were the Ultrassur are placed. Besides, take care with the streets and bars where they go, that means: try to walk in crowded streets and do not show any sign that links you with Athletic or Euskadi (Basque Country) outside the stadium. If you see any skinhead, try to avoid him. Inside the stadium nothing should happen to you, but be as calm as possible... maybe there's an idiot that tells you something, but since you won't understand him, just let him talk, but noone is going to hit you or anything like that.

A Real-Athletic has always more tension since there is a political problem with the Basque and Spanish nationalists. Take this into account.

I'm a Barça fan and although I've lived 4 years in Madrid, I've never gone to the Bernabeu... it goes against my religion and I don't want to get infected. :pp No, seriously, if I ever go to the Bernabeu, that's what I would do: I would not wear any visible shirt or scarf, I would not cellebrate the goal (unless I were surrounded by 100 barcelonistas), except with a big smile and I would be quiet. It doesn't mean that I could have any problem, it's just that I want to avoid them since there's a big tension between Barça and Madrid.

From the point of view of an Athletic fan, I would do the same. Although the tension between Athletic and Madrid is not that big (at least in Madrid among the normal fans), the political tension is big lately. So you should not have any problem, but it's better if you avoid them. The 99% of the people know to behave, but you could find the other 1% and it would not be nice. Don't you think?

Just go and enjoy football... if you win (I hope so), you can cellebrate it later in a bar with your friends. Also enjoy Madrid, it's a great city with great people.
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Vami said:
Hello,

What is the level of safety in Madrid? I am planning to go to Real - Athletic match from Poland, as the flights to Madrid are quite cheap now. I wonder whether it would be safe to go to that match as an Athletic fan ;) You know, in Poland it's never safe as a visitor, but maybe in Spain it's safer? Tell me :) I am not a fanatic, just a regular football fan who likes Athletic Bilbao and would like to see them in action :)
I see You are from Poland, and like JAGA so You are from Bialystok???
Ja jestem z Białego!!!
 

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
I'm ashamed of having to say this: unfortunately, you should better follow the news about the political issues in Spain. It could be a most delicate moment to attend this match in particular
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top