Xtratime Community banner

Safety concerns about Feyenoord going to Jeddah

483 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rafo 
#1 ·
We're going to stay here from January 5 to 11 and we'll play Al Ahli on the 6th. That's Aad de Mos's old club right?

but the reason I'm opening this thread is about safety concenrs. Only today I read there was a gun battle in the US consulate leaving 7 dead and in September, a Frenchmen, whos country has nothing to do with the war, was shot dead in Jeddah. What you think it'd be safe for a sportsteam from a country which has troops in southern Iraq to visit Jeddah?

I've got my doubts. I've been to Dubai and Oman and the people there are hospitable as can be and I expect our hosts in Jeddah to be exactly the same, but with these kind of happenings taking place in Jeddah, I cannot but feel uncomfortable about Feyenoord going to Jeddah in January. I know we're a sportsteam and we have an Egyptian in Ghaly and a Tunisian in Saidi (probably 2 of our best 5 players) in the team, but with nutters, you can never be sure.

#2 ·
I've never heard about Feyenoord coming to Jeddah. Aad de Mos was the coach of Hilal, who are from Riyadh. In any case, you shouldn't be concerned of coming to Jeddah. It's a very relaxed cosmopolitan city. We're all rattled by the attack, which nobody expected. But this is out of the city's character. It's not a war zone. Milan came and played here recently with no problems. In fact they had a huge reception.

#3 ·
Jeddah is an awesome city, if I am going to rate cities I have been to, it would come 3rd after Dubai and Amman. People there are football fanatics and Hijjaz people are the best, they give you their eyes if you asked for them, just be good and respect them, thats all.

#4 ·
Hopefully all will go well :), but still I can't hide the worrying factor cos of the events I mentioned above. Maybe it's just me.

Our current manager is Ruud Gullit btw :) should attract plenty of attention from the local footie fans, while we also have Shinji Ono, Hossam Ghaly, Tunisian international Karim Saidi, young Ivory Coast striker Solomon Kalou (19 year old ands 2nd top scorer in the league behind Kuijt. Has good potential) and new Dutch international who you should hear more from in the future, Dirk Kuijt (whos a lot like Alan Smith (works hard) but less agressive and better in front of goal) as the main attractions in the team. It's a young team with a good attack but a pretty dodgey defence. Only Saidi has been good for us in defence.

What can we expect from Al Ahli? do they have any famous foreigners playing for them? I read Ali Daei plays in Saudi Arabia for Al Shabab but are there any at Al Ahli? tried to search on the net but couldn't find anything about Al Ahli and Saudi football in general other than footballasia's site. :groan:

#5 ·
I wouldn't blame Feyenoord for calling the trip off due to recent events, but generally Jeddah is vey safe. I don't forsee any problems and a Dutch football team coming to play a friendly against one of the local sides (a detestable one nonethless :yuck: :D) is not something i think we be targetted by anyone.

#6 ·
The trip's been cancelled and we'll now be heading to the Canary Islands instead. I feel most sorry for the soccer fans in Jeddah who would have probably been looking forward to seeing us :( but alas, maybe another time.

BTW if any of you have an English language website about Saudi football (or French, German or Dutch, not that probable I guess :D) , I'd appreciate it. Always interested to see who's playing where etc.

#7 ·
Wally said:
do they have any famous foreigners playing for them? I read Ali Daei plays in Saudi Arabia for Al Shabab but are there any at Al Ahli? tried to search on the net but couldn't find anything about Al Ahli and Saudi football in general other than footballasia's site. :groan:

Ali Daei has left KSA. He plays for Shahab Battery of Tehran now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.