Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Seaman retires

Well, it seems that (finally) Dave Seaman has hing up his boots (and gloves) and called it a day after yet more shoulder problems.
As we all know, Seaman went on for too long. He really wasn't good enough for the Premiership this season, and should definitely retired after the FA Cup win, when he lifted the trophy as captain. But I feel that he did this just because he loves the game so much, and not because he wanted a final pay cheque.
Of course he had so many great memories at Arsenal, he was one of our most consistant player in the mid-nineties, and who could forget his display against Sampdoria in 95? Then there was his save in the semi-final last season, and for those of us who are England fans, there was that save against Scotland in Euro 96...crucial.

Well, I know that he's now at Man City, but I'd like to say Thanks Dave for so many great saves, and I'd love to see him back at Highbury as goalkeeping coach.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
there was that save against Scotland in Euro 96...crucial.
:fero: :mad: :fero: :mad:

Not forgetting his save at wembley from dailly either :fero:

He's been a great servent to the game & I do hope he takes up coaching at some point.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,631 Posts
Seaman quits football

Manchester City goalkeeper David Seaman has announced his retirement from football.
The former England international's decision came shortly after City revealed the club were in talks to sign West Ham goalkeeper David James.

Seaman, 40, joined City last summer, signing a one-year deal with the club, after having spent 13 years at Arsenal.

The goalkeeper won the last of his 75 international caps against Macedonia back in October 2002.

Seaman said he had advised City manager Kevin Keegan to sign James, who succeeded him in the England team.

The veteran keeper has suffered a recurring shoulder problem and was substituted after 13 minutes of Manchester City's Barclaycard Premiership defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday.

"I have reached this difficult decision after much discussion with my family and those in the game whose views I respect," he said.

"It has become clear to me that this type of injury will not quickly disappear - and I think now would be a good time to hang up my boots, rather than at the end of the season as planned."

Kevin Keegan added: "This has been a difficult decision for David - but I fully respect it.

"It says a lot about the man that he has been incredibly helpful to us as a club in finding a successor at such a testing personal time for him.

"His record is incredible and his achievements unbelievable but most importantly I will remember him as an ultimate professional who cared about others.

Seaman played over 1,000 club and international matches and was awarded the MBE in 1996, the year he emerged as a hero for his penalty saves - most notably against Scotland and then Spain in a memorable shoot-out during the European Championship.

His last game for Arsenal was May's FA Cup final when Arsene Wenger's side beat Southampton 1-0 with Seaman - captain for the day - making a stunning save in the match's closing stages.

During his time with Arsenal, he won three titles, as well as three FA Cups, one Coca-Cola Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup.

But his career had its low moments notably when he was lobbed from just inside his half by Nayim in the Cup Winners' Cup final of 1995.

He suffered similar embarrassment during the 2002 World Cup when he allowed a Ronaldinho free-kick to drift over him as England slipped out of the finals after losing 2-1 to Brazil.

This year also saw Seaman launch a television career by becoming a panellist on the sports quiz show "They Think It's All Over".

bbc
----------------------------------------------------------

Legendary player indeed.He had ups and downs in his career, but he was definitely one of the best keepers of his generation.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Seaman calls time on "fantastic career"

David Seaman has called time on a "fantastic career" and wished his successor at both England and Manchester City David James "all the best".

The pony-tailed 40-year-old has suffered a recurring shoulder problem and was substituted after 13 minutes of Manchester City's Premiership defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday.

His struggle has led to his decision to hang up his gloves, but not before recommending James as his successor at The City of Manchester Stadium.

"I have reached this difficult decision after much discussion with my family and those in the game whose views I respect,'' he said.

"It has become clear to me that this type of injury will not quickly disappear - and I think now would be a good time to hang up my boots, rather than at the end of the season as planned.''

Seaman added on the club's official website: "I believe I have had a fantastic career playing at the highest level.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those people who have stood by me and supported my career, especially during the tough times.''

Seaman, who won 75 England caps, also had a good luck message for James, who is set for medical on Wednesday after West Ham agreed a fee with City.

"After deciding to retire it was a pleasure to recommend David James - so I know the position is in safe hands,'' he added. "I wish him all the best. He is joining a great club with a first-class manager in Kevin Keegan and a great squad.

"I am looking forward to getting the shoulder better in order to explore potential goalkeeper coaching opportunities.''

Keegan, who signed Seaman on a year's contract from Arsenal in July, said: "This has been a difficult decision for David - but I fully respect it.

"It says a lot about the man that he has been incredibly helpful to us as a club in finding a successor at such a testing personal time for him.

"His record is incredible and his achievements unbelievable - but most importantly I will remember him as an ultimate professional who cared about others.

"I wish him and his family all the success in the world in the future.''
==============================================

That is the end of the famed Arsenal back 5. With the starting 5 all out. Now all that is left of that era is Keown.

I request all fellow Gooners and non-gooners to join me in SALUTING "THE LEGENDS"!!

Seamo forever.....
proud to have his avatar.

come home to Highbury Seamo... we need a goalie coach....

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
no doubt seaman will be a fantastic goalie coach with his vast amount of experience. lets hope he comes back to arsenal as a coach :D

he wil be missed not only by arsenal fans, but many other fans in general. his done great thigns for club and england.

best wishes to him.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
but i hope he comes back to highbury soon as goalie coach. there are reports that he mite go to chelski...

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
The sad thing is that for a lot of people when you say David Seaman then one or 2 goals will pop into their head, Nayim & Ronaldinho. Now obviously they were 2 very unlucky goals to lose, but because of the uniqueness of them they stick in the mind. But without a doubt he was a great keeper in his day, one of Englands best alongside Banks & Shilton.

As a Scot I can only say I'm glad there appears to be no real successor:D

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
well the thing is like i read in an article by Bob Wilson, with seamo you can rem only 4-5 real blunders..... thats it in over 1000 games... i think u are allowed to make them,....

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
As a keeper myself I can readily testify that all goalies make mistakes, me more so than most (well all really:D). But what I am saying is that those ones will really stand out in some peoples minds, though not mine.

After all there's the "great" joke:rollani: I can lob semen from the half-way line:rollani:

Well some 13 year old found it funny;)

Of course I could challenge you to name a couple major blunders Gigi Buffon has made so far since first playing for Parma aged 17 almost 10 years ago. But then that's a slightly different thing, we'll have to wait until Gigi retires to compare them properly:)

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
well yes us fans of the Arsenal will always remember Buffon for letting Paddy Vieira's shot bounce out to Fred in the CL so i agree everyone will remember what they want from such players. ;)

I will remember Seaman for coming for every cross,making fantastic saves for us all year without even having Tony Adams for three months while he was on*erm* *cough* holiday for a while :D ,he only conceded 18 goals that season as we lost only game,his fantastic appearances in the Cup Winners Cup when we didn't have a great team at all,just Ian Wright,Seamo and a well drilled defence.

the best back five in English history and Seaman's calmness and great stops made it all possible. :cool:

have a great retirement Safe Hands :cool:

g4e ,Keown is more the sixth member of the gang wouldn't you say? a great sixth member all the same but the back five are all now retired :depress:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
and we see the emergence of the new great arsenal back. kolo and ashly are brilliant youngsters, sol is our rock. just one more world class CB (mexes) then we will be the best back once more in england. already the best attack and midfield ;)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
only sad thing i can think of, he didnt retire as a gunner :eek:
WHO SAID THAT

do you remember the match agaist ManC

after the second goal by Ljungberg

all the Staduim was Chanting

SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER
SEAMAN IS A GOONER

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
my mistake jern...
we had buffon make tht one and if u want to talk about toldo we have the clanger this time in the 5-1 hammering....
lets move to cudduchini...
again the blunder against arsenal this season...
oh yea and lets not forget casillas and his usual quota for real...
so if u look at it seamo made very few in all the years he played...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
Gooner4life: literal sense, he may be gunner in heart, however his jersey was man C.
and this is the important
THE HEART

1 - 20 of 30 Posts