·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
This stuff is news to you?

Of course it's true. At least the broad strokes are. April Gillespie's communications to Hussein are still controversial, but for the rest of it, it's all true.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Frankie and Dean's music is close to my heart, but you'll never find them singing a tune like this. It just doesn't sell in the good ol U.S. of A.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Surprised, Balis?

I mean, it's not the first dictator the US helped install and then removed later...

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Andrija PFC said:

I mean, it's not the first dictator the US helped install and then removed later...
Neither are the they the only country to practice such methods either...

Geez, anytime there's time for a dig it happens. Unbelievable.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
I found this letter on the net. I think Bush is outrageous!

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak my mind. I lost my job this past year. When Clinton was president I was secure and prosperous, but in the last year, we had to close our operations. We simply could not compete with foreign labor. This foreign labor worked for low pay under very bad conditions.

They worked very long shifts, and many even died on the job.

This competition could hardly be called "fair." I was forced out of the place where I had worked for 34 years.

Not a single government program was there to help me.

How can Bush call himself "compassionate?" Far worse, I lost two of my sons in Bush's evil war in Iraq. They gave their lives for their country, and for what? So that Bush's oil buddies can get rich. My pain of losing my sons is indescribable.

While it is trivial next to the loss of my sons, I regret to say that I also lost my home. I simply have nothing left. How can Bush call himself a Christian when he neglects people like me? I am a senior citizen with various medical problems. I'm not in a position where I can begin a new career. I was reduced to the point where I had to live in a hole in a ground, all because of President Bush.

And when the authorities found me there, did they have any compassion for my misfortune and ailments? No, I was arrested. Mr. Bush, I dare you to look me in the face and tell me you are a compassionate man! I dare you to look me in the face and tell me you are a Christian. If I had any money left, I would donate it to the Democrat Party.

If Al Gore had been elected in 2000 I would still have a job, a home, and most importantly, my dear sons!

Regards,

Saddam Hussein

The gall of the prez

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Yes, "if." The fact that he won the popular vote means nothing, because the popular vote does not count in presidential elections.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Yes tim, the popular vote may not matter, but what about the MAJORITY vote?

Also can you name any countries that have installed a leader only to remove him later then Flo? There may have been some in the past but not with as much frequency as America. The funniest thing though is when the USA doesn't like a democratically elected leader so stages a military coup and installs a dictator like in Chile.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
The only vote that matters is the electoral vote, which is decided by the state elections. The popular vote and electoral vote tend to favor the same nominee, but it has happened in the past that the nominee that lost the popular vote still wound up winning the presidential election on the basis of receiving the higher electoral vote. It may seem strange, but that is how the system was set up and it has always worked as it was supposed to, including in 2000.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
The Green One said:
Yes tim, the popular vote may not matter, but what about the MAJORITY vote?

Also can you name any countries that have installed a leader only to remove him later then Flo? There may have been some in the past but not with as much frequency as America. The funniest thing though is when the USA doesn't like a democratically elected leader so stages a military coup and installs a dictator like in Chile.

~ The Green ;)ne
That's realpolitik, kind of like hiring someone and when he turns out to be a disloyal employee, you can him. I guess it's too much to expect kids your age to remember what was going on in the world at the time. With such methods a cold war was fought and won while avoiding a big hot one, and the communists relegated to the the dustbin of history as they deserve...

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tim said:
The only vote that matters is the electoral vote, which is decided by the state elections. The popular vote and electoral vote tend to favor the same nominee, but it has happened in the past that the nominee that lost the popular vote still wound up winning the presidential election on the basis of receiving the higher electoral vote. It may seem strange, but that is how the system was set up and it has always worked as it was supposed to, including in 2000.
I believe the last election to have been the only case where the winner of the electorate was not the recipient of the popular vote as well.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I'll have to look that up later. I thought that there had been at least one other case, if not two.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tim said:
I'll have to look that up later. I thought that there had been at least one other case, if not two.
I don't think so, but my memory isn't rock solid. In fact, it's like quick sand.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Pila said:
I believe the last election to have been the only case where the winner of the electorate was not the recipient of the popular vote as well.
Nixon had more popular votes than Kennedy in 1960. Would have had more electoral college votes as well if not for Pop Daley...

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak my mind. I lost my job this past year. When Clinton was president I was secure and prosperous, but in the last year, we had to close our operations. We simply could not compete with foreign labor. This foreign labor worked for low pay under very bad conditions.

They worked very long shifts, and many even died on the job.

This competition could hardly be called "fair." I was forced out of the place where I had worked for 34 years.

Not a single government program was there to help me.

How can Bush call himself "compassionate?" Far worse, I lost two of my sons in Bush's evil war in Iraq. They gave their lives for their country, and for what? So that Bush's oil buddies can get rich. My pain of losing my sons is indescribable.

While it is trivial next to the loss of my sons, I regret to say that I also lost my home. I simply have nothing left. How can Bush call himself a Christian when he neglects people like me? I am a senior citizen with various medical problems. I'm not in a position where I can begin a new career. I was reduced to the point where I had to live in a hole in a ground, all because of President Bush.

And when the authorities found me there, did they have any compassion for my misfortune and ailments? No, I was arrested. Mr. Bush, I dare you to look me in the face and tell me you are a compassionate man! I dare you to look me in the face and tell me you are a Christian. If I had any money left, I would donate it to the Democrat Party.

If Al Gore had been elected in 2000 I would still have a job, a home, and most importantly, my dear sons!

Regards,

Saddam Hussein
He he...got a hand it to you Fangul...a masterful example of drawing attention away from the original subject of the thread through distraction. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts