Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFP
March 9, 2006

BERLIN (AFP) - Former German international Stefan Effenberg has urged the German Football Federation (DFB) to sack manager Jurgen Klinsmann immediately and replace him with former Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld.

"If I was in charge then I would get rid of Klinsmann right away and get Ottmar Hitzfeld in," Effenberg told Bild daily. "I would even suggest doing that before the United States game."

Germany host the United States on March 22 in Dortmund with Klinsmann under extreme pressure after a 4-1 thrashing by Italy in Florence last Wednesday.

His refusal to leave his United States home has stirred up controversy and Franz Beckenbauer, who was Klinsmann's manager when West Germany won the 1990 World Cup, claimed it was time for him to spend more time in Germany.

"I know Klinsmann and he will not give an inch. The rest of the world is laughing at us and the others are losing respect," Effenberg said.

Klinsmann is widely expected to lead the host nation at the World Cup, running from June 9 until July 9, but Effenberg, 37, believes a change is needed even though the finals begin in just three months time.

Not content with calling for Klinsmann's dismissal Effenberg, who played with the current German manager in the early 1990's, called for his old Bayern Munich boss Hitzfeld to take over the reins.

Hitzfeld turned down the German job after the Euro 2004 finals, as did Greece manager Otto Rehhagel, before Klinsmann agreed to succeed Rudi Voller.

"I do not think he would say no a second time if you asked him," declared Effenberg.

Hitzfeld, who won four German titles, two German cups and the 2001 Champions League crown with Bayern, is currently a free agent working as an expert on German television.

Klinsmann has so far refused to comment on all the speculation surrounding his future saying his future hinges on the World Cup.

"No I would not say that my job is on the US game," Klinsmann told magazine Kicker. "I am enjoying the job and it is possible that I will carry on after the World Cup."

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
This is not what Germany needs just before the World Cup. They have appointed him and now they must allow him to do his job. Its not Klinsmans fault that the current talent crop in german football is at an all-time low. And I find it strange with all these former players coming out and critizing Klinsmann. I think there are some other factors behind this. Mattheus who has always been jealous of Klinsmann, and Effenberg who probably is mad because he was kicked of the german NT while Klinsmann became a star.

·
Super
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's there to be jealous about? Personally, they should be thankful that they weren't in Klinsmann's shoes. It's not an easy job to coach Germany at this point. I just think Effenberg wants someone with experience to lead Germany. I am sure you would too.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Starcraft is right, there were conflicts between Matthäus, Effenberg and some other, when they were active players. The guys dislike each other,
so, i agree, the critic is based on personal discords
between Effenberg and Klinsmann.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Klinsmann is not respecting the responsiblities of his new job, why the hell is he staying all the time in the US? for me he should be kicked out right now and bring on Hitzfeld , Klinsmann is acting like an arrogant bastard

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Catalan05 said:
Klinsmann is not respecting the responsiblities of his new job, why the hell is he staying all the time in the US? for me he should be kicked out right now and bring on Hitzfeld , Klinsmann is acting like an arrogant bastard
Yes, I agree partly with this. He should stay in Germany, at least just to give an impression that he cares. But thats not the big problem with the german national team. What in earth can Klinsmann do the current german team. Germany have only one decent striker at the moment, Klose. Podolski cannot even impress nor score even against mediocre opponents. How do you expect him to do so against powerhouse nations like Italy and Argentina.

A defense that consists of reserve players from average teams in Germany. And an overrated Huth. :rolleyes: A starplayer in Ballack who does not even seem to care. He is the perhaps the only hope for Germany in the upcomming tournament.

And at the top of it, the biggest team in Germany seems to deliberately avoid german players. Placing the most talented defensive player like Lahm on the bench for an overaged player like Lizarazu cannot be explained to the common german.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Lets face the facts.

Germany has only one world-class player in the whole team and its Ballack , maybe we can add Klose and thats it.

GK - Kahn , Lehmann not bad but not that good.

Defence- maybe Lahm

Midfield - Ballack , maybe we can add deisler and shweisentiger "sp?" , thats it

Attack - Klose

Lets compare our squad with the other teams:

Brazil , Holland , Italy, England , Spain , Argentina , France are much better .....

Thats why we should have a coach like Hitzfeld , he is the only who will give us a chance to win the world cup..

·
Super
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and did the Germans play any of those teams in WC 2002? Nope, except one in the final, and we all witnessed what had happened in the final when they play one of those top teams.

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Effe ( like Matthaeus) was a great player and leader on the pitch, but unfortunately he is very limited in terms of his mind ( like Matthaeus, too ) ...

·
Banned
411 Posts
First I would say it's to late for an other coach because they are in the middle of the Preparation for the WC.

And Germany is of course a world-class team. Don't forgett about Kahn and Lehman. I mean which NT has the Keeper of Arsenal as Reserve? Kahn was the best Keeper in the WC 2002 and the Best Keeper 2001 and the CL. Ballack Klose and Frings are world class player

·
Super
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, the Germans aren't a world class team right now. They are just an average team. If they were a world class team, then we wouldn't be discussing about them at this point.

·
Banned
411 Posts
well only the this 3-4 players are world class players, but the other aren't

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lets not forget that friendlies essentially mean crap. It'd be nice to win them, but if we don't, we'll too bad. I'm juts subscribing to blind optimism right now. Everybody knows that we are (usually) cpable of substantially elevating our game once it really matters. Not pretty to look at all, yet effective. I'm sure that Klinsmann will install the proper menatilty in the pre-camp.

And as Rothose said, Effe was a great player, but ..lets just leave it at that ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Guys, Believe you or not... Matthaus is doing very well at Atletico Paranaense. He has a good vision and the most important. He doesn't have fear of risk and change the team when it needs.
I think he probably is changing his mind, knowing he was a star as a player, but not as a coach, he decided to make different at Brazil.

I think he could be a great coach to Germany NT. The time could prove this for you guys.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Germany have no coach problems imo...they have medicore players..just thats!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts