Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Shame Park missed the final after playing every minute of the quarter and semi finals but his contribution this season shouldn't be over looked, he's played a big part in our success this season

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Disappointment For Park Ji-Sung But He's Still A Champion
It was a bitter-sweet night for Manchester United fans in South Korea. Ever since Barcelona were seen off in the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League, anticipation had been rising slowly in Seoul, Suwon and elsewhere in the Land of the Morning Calm that Park Ji-sung would become the first Asian to see his reflection in the European Cup. He did but not in the way that was expected.

Park played a big part in helping United get to Moscow. He starred in that semi-final victory against the Spanish giants and as United made their way to a tenth Premier League title, the Korean played an increasingly important role though he was absent when United lost 2-1 at Chelsea last month. History repeated itself in Moscow to the surprise of most observers.

It had been assumed that Park would start. It was never imagined that there would not even be a place on the sub’s bench for the player who played all 360 minutes of the Roma and Barca matches. Owen Hargreaves started on the right side of midfield in Park’s usual spot. The English midfielder was in the words of Sir Alex Ferguson, “in great condition,” and a counter perhaps, to Chelsea’s physical presence in the middle. Fellow midfielders Nani, Anderson, Ryan Giggs and Darren Fletcher were selected as subs.

Shock was such in South Korea that there were instant but mistaken stories of an injury sustained in training. Such as omission is heartbreaking for any player and Park is no different. While he is the first Asian player to become a UEFA Champions League winner, he never played in the final. He played a big part in getting the team there but had to watch in a gray suit as his team-mates climbed the stairs to the podium and lifted the famous old trophy.

That was the picture that the South Korean media wanted, a picture of Park lifting the giant cup, not in a suit on the pitch but in a red shirt, soaked by sweat and rain. That image would have served as avatars for countless numbers of Korean netizens for years to come.

Disappointment is natural. While even his biggest fans didn’t claim that he was an automatic starter for the club, it did seem as if he was well-placed outside that inner core. With United having the unusual end-of-season luxury of a full and fit array of midfielders and attackers to choose from, perhaps Park’s place wasn’t as solid as it looked.

The decision was Alex Ferguson’s. It is debatable whether he made the right one but it his job is to pick the players that he thinks will win the game and win the game they did, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

It is all about results. If John Terry had been lifting the trophy instead of his defensive partner in the England team, then there would certainly be an inquest into tactics and selection. As it is, the Red Devils lifted the trophy and the fact that they did so without Park Ji-sung is hugely sad for the player and his fans but that’s football. Park isn’t the first to deal with the situation and won’t be the last.

There have been calls among fans in South Korea for Park to leave. That is something for the player to decide. Being a squad player at the club brings the sight of silver but not always the touch. Whether that is enough for the 27 year-old, is a question that only he can answer. Park could easily play more next season but with Fergie set to splash the cash again this summer, the opposite could happen.

One thing is for sure though, Park Ji-sung is still a European champion, he has a medal and much to be proud of. Not only that, he has much to look forward to.

John Duerden

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
31/05/2008 02:43
Park Ji-Sung: Korea Need Paul Scholes
Park Ji-sung believes that the South Korean national team could do with a little help from Manchester United team-mate Paul Scholes.

Park is in Seoul preparing for Saturday’s 2010 World Cup qualifier with Jordan.

When asked by the club’s official home page which United player he would like to see in the red shirt of the Taeguk Warriors, Park answered: “It has to be Paul Scholes.”

“He is a veteran with so much experience and has played in all kinds of games, With his creative passing, he would be a big help to the national team.”

Park is set to start against Jordan as Korea look to maintain their positive start to World Cup qualification.

The team sits on top of Group Three with four points from the opening two matches.

Jordan are in third with three points.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
According to SportingLife, SEOL Ki-Hyeon is in Wolfsburg's shopping list. Wolfsburg is making big moves in transfer market, I know they got Zaccardo and Barzagli. :greed:

Recently, SEOL said he won't leave Fulham, even though he didn't play much. He said he will keep try hard to be in Starting XI.

If SEOL can move to German Bundesliga, personally, I'll think he'll do alright. Who knows? maybe he can be like CHA Bum-Keon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ji-sung Park will have been bitterly disappointed to miss out on the Champions League final in Moscow, but his performances on his return from injury left him with plenty to be pleased about.

During United's Double-winning run-in, Park proved he's a vital player – yet another victory over doubters who claimed he was at the club just to sell shirts.

"When I first came here I heard about that," Ji said. "People said I was here for merchandising, but I couldn't say anything because I'm a football player and had to show my ability on the pitch.

"I kept showing that and now everybody knows I'm not here to sell T-shirts."

The energy and determination that characterise the 27-year-old's game are immediately obvious, but they often overshadow his subtler skills and excellent technique, attributes that make Park far more than just a trier.

"I had proved my ability at PSV Eindhoven, but still European people thought that Asian players aren't good enough to play in Europe.

"But I always wanted to face the challenge and prove that I can play here. I will keep showing that.

"The criticism hurt a bit, but not too much because I know that historically Asian players haven't done well in Europe. But I think we can show our ability and that Asian players can play better than some European players.

"Now everybody is seeing that Asian players can also play in Europe so I am satisfied with that."

Next season the Korean star will resume his battle with the likes of Nani and Giggs for a place in United's starting line-up. It's a challenge he relishes.

"This club is strong and everybody has quality," he said. "Individual players have to show their ability all the time.

"I got the opportunity to play against AS Roma and Barcelona, which was good for me and an opportunity to show my ability. I am not first choice for this team, but I will keep trying to show my strengths and maybe one day I can be."

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
20/07/2008 11:49
Park Ji-Sung Relishing Premier League Return
Manchester United winger Park Ji-Sung is hoping for an injury-free Premier League season, after missing a huge period of the last campaign.

The Korean midfielder spent nine months on the sidelines last term, after damaging knee ligaments in March 2007. He underwent career saving surgery in the United States last summer.

Park returned to first-team action in January and added a further dimension to Sir Alex Ferguson’s side, being favoured by the manager in the club’s Champions League run in particular.

The 27-year-old has been left out of his nation’s Olympic side as he attempts to improve his fitness, and is facing a knee-scan on his England return.

With his team-mates currently in South Africa as part of their pre-season preparations, Park will be working out alone until United make their return.

He spoke to the press at Incheon International Airport and said: "I had a good rest. Many chances will come along during the coming year. What's important is how I grab those chances. It's most important that I show all I can on the pitch.

"It's crucial that I spend the coming season without any injury. Training will be scheduled according to the test result."

Peter Staunton

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ji-sung Park is convinced United are capable of improving on last season’s memorable Double triumph.

Not content with the Premier League and Champions League, the Korean has set his sights on winning every trophy available to the Reds this term.

“We missed out on the FA Cup final last season so this time we will try to win every trophy,” the winger told MUTV.

“We have the ability so we will try to develop and achieve even better results than we did last season.

“I believe we can do it because even though we have no new signings, we haven’t lost any players either, which is the most important thing.”

No new faces yet, but United have been boosted by the emergence of several youngsters in pre-season, with the likes of Fraizer Campbell, Rodrigo Possebon and the da Silva brothers catching the eye.

"We have younger players who have shown what they can do in pre-season, so that is also good for us,” added Park, who hopes to return to full training next week following a minor recurrence of his knee injury.

“Last year they sometimes joined us in first-team training. It’s exciting for them and they now just need more experience. I think they may have a chance this season and if younger players are getting better it helps the squad."

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It's official. Tottenham's Young-Pyo Lee is joining German side Borussia Dortmund!:happy: It's a one year deal, but it has option to extend one more year if player wants it.

Looks like he is going to be in the game right away, since Dortmund's Brazilian LB Dede is injured for 6 months.

Anyway good luck for Lee. It will be interesting to see Alexander Frei and Lee considering what happened in 06 WC:excited:

Another news is that

There's a rumour that Chu-Young Park is joining EPL side Wigan Athletic.

Fulham's Seol and WBA's Do-Heon Kim both played in EPL games but not played that great

former Middlesbrough player Dong-Gook Lee is linked with Sungnam Ilhwa.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Chu-Young Park joins AS Monaco.:party: With a transfer fee of 2M euros, it's a 4-year deal. Another bonus is that he will wear no.10 jersey.

He will be a good additon to Monaco since their attacking players like Jeremy Menez and Nene left the team.

Hope he can learn lot of things in there. It will be interesting to see Park and Adu playing together. They have similar style, both can play attacking midfield role and striker.

Anyway, Summer transfer market is over. Dong-Gook Lee and Chun-Soo Lee failed to remain in Europe. There was a rumour that Hull City wanted Fulham's Seol but nothing happend at the end.:lick:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ki-hyeon Seol, former Reading and Fulham player, moved to Saudi Arabia's Al Hilal. Also, Ho Lee will join Seongnam Ilhwa, leaving Zenit St.Petersburg.

However, while some Koreans are leaving Europe, other Koreans are coming to Europe.

Won-Hee Cho, and Kyung-Ho Chung will join Russian Premier league's Tom Tomsk, signing 3-year deal. Both are our NT members and will help a team . Cho can play RB or DM while Chung can play wing or forward.

Apparently, Tomsk's coach is Valeri Nepomniachi who once coached K-league team Bucheon in 90s.

Also couple players are making some news.

Keun-Ho Lee was linked to Blackburn Rovers, but turned downed the offer and decide to go France or Netherlands rather than 'Big League'

Young-Rok Shin was also believed to join Tom Tomsk, but he puts aside to consider offers from German Bundesliga.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Young-Rok Shin signed with Turkey's Bursaspor...he is the 2nd Korean ever to play in Turkish league, followed by Eul-Yong Lee who played in Trabzonspor.

and Apparently, KyungHo Chung and Won-Hee Cho did not signed with Tom Tomsk. He is linked with AS Monaco and other clubs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you know that there is a Korean club plying in the Singapore League...

Korean Super Reds finish third in the league..

They have a couple of good players..

Theres also one good Korean player,Park Tae Won,playing for SAFFC in Singapore.

SAFFC are in the champion league qualifier...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Do you know that there is a Korean club plying in the Singapore League...

Korean Super Reds finish third in the league..

They have a couple of good players..

Theres also one good Korean player,Park Tae Won,playing for SAFFC in Singapore.

SAFFC are in the champion league qualifier...
I know there is a Korean club in Singapore. In fact, I remember that one of the major sports newspapers published an article about the team.

Many people doesn't care about Koreans who play in Singapore league... well myself also are not that interested in Singapore league,:rollani: but I do check the score whenever I go to livescore.com

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Young-Rok Shin confirmed his signing with Bursaspor. He signed 3 and half year deal with Bursaspor. :happy:

Ki-Gu Ko, one of our NT strikers, have left to Greece to join Xanthi FC. He will have a trial and some medical tests. If he signs with Xanthi, he will be the first Korean to play in Greek League. Ki-Gu is good in air, so he will bring some attacking options to the team. Maybe replacement for Victor Agali, former Nigeria striker.:hopeful:

Keun-Ho Lee is linked with several French clubs. Those teams were not announced officially, but it is believed to be OM, PSG and Sochaux. :smileani:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Apparently, Won-Hee Cho, is going to join AS Monaco, but since AS Monaco too many non-EU players, Cho will be loaned or he will play in next summer.

If he joins Monaco, he will play with Ju-Young Park. Cho can play Right back or Defensive Midfielder.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
South Korea midfielder Won Hee Cho could join Wigan after impressing during a trial this week.

The 25-year-old, who is a free agent after his contract expired with Korean club Suwon Bluewings, has impressed manager Steve Bruce and could sign a deal next week.

"Won Hee has come and trained with us for the past couple of days and has done really well," said the Latics boss of the 27-cap international.

"We have been really impressed with him as a player and a person and can sign him as he is not under contract with any club."

·
Honorable Mention, December 2010 Photo Contest
15,405 Posts
ESPN Soccernet Story:

Wigan await permit news for new Korea move

February 19, 2009

Wigan manager Steve Bruce is keeping his fingers crossed red tape will not scupper his bid to sign South Korea midfielder Cho Won-hee.

The 25-year-old has impressed during a trial with the Latics this week after his contract with Korean side Suwon Bluewings expired.

Wigan have now submitted a work permit application but it is not certain of going through as Cho has not featured in the required 75% of international matches due to injury.

Bruce has encountered problems with the system before, losing out on Honduras midfielder Hendry Thomas last summer.

On that occasion the player did not meet the criteria because he had played for his country in Olympic qualifiers instead of full senior international matches, despite being a regular in the national side prior to the Beijing build-up.

Cho has played 27 times for South Korea but Wigan face an anxious wait to discover whether his recent injury problems will count against him.

"We have known all about him because he has played in the Korean team, which is a very decent team, and he is typically Korean in terms of his athleticism and his work-rate,'' said Bruce.

"The problem we have got is the work permit criteria because, unfortunately, he missed a big chunk of the international games. About 10 months ago they had six qualifying games in the space of a month and he missed the lot of them because of injury.

"We have weighed that up and will put our case to them on Monday and hope we can get him in them. It (the criteria) stands in our way because it would be a damn sight easier without it.

"There are rules and we have to abide by them but it has become a bit of a problem.''

Bruce has brought in a number of players from Central and South America in the last year but he stressed the club could not afford to take their eye off opportunities elsewhere.

And although he would like to buy British, the Latics boss said the opportunities were not there.

"We work extremely hard and we've got to. I would love to sign six or seven Lee Cattermoles (bought from Middlesbrough for £3million in the summer),'' he added.

"You find me them in this country where I can buy 20-year-olds for £3million then I'd willingly do that, but we obviously can't so we have to spread the net a bit further and be adventurous.

"I don't mind where they are from. Certainly the Koreans we have seen in the Premier League have a fantastic appetite for it and in that respect he will not let himself down.

"We just hope he meets the criteria and we can bring him in.''

Cho's agent confirmed a deal had been agreed with Wigan and they were just waiting to see if the paperwork could be formalised.

"Everything is done,'' Kim Dong-ho told The Korea Times. "We heard that Wigan was looking for a midfielder. They need a good midfielder and we need a big league - that made the deal possible.''

41 - 60 of 77 Posts