Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ecuador duo return hopes

Chairman Rupert Lowe expects Ecuador duo Agustin Delgado and Kleber Chala to return for pre-season training next month.
The players have now jetted home after their World Cup adventure to a rapturous reception and Lowe believes they will return to the club's payroll.
Striker Delgado, who scored an excellent goal in the finals, and his cousin Chala both went home early ahead of the World Cup with the club's blessing after they pleaded to be released.
Delgado and Chala were given permission on the condition that they were not paid by the club.
Lowe said: ''Chala has already indicated that he will be back in early July and has booked a seat on a plane.
''Delgado appears to be fully fit again from his performances at the World Cup.
"There are all kinds of conflicting rumours about his desire to play for us again but I expect him to be back for pre-season training.''
Delgado has previously said he would like to play for a Spanish club because of the language difficulties he endured at Southampton.
But his displays for Ecuador marked him out as a talented player and Saints may not be willing to let him go.

:cap:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
De la Cruz linked with Villa

June 24, 2002.

Aston Villa are thought to be on the verge of making a bid for Ecuadorian right wing back Ulises de la Cruz.


Villa are determined to strengthen their right flank, and recently their offer for PSV Eindhoven wide man Dennis Rommedahl was turned down.

De la Cruz had an excellent World Cup and is thought to be in favour of a move from the SPL with Hibernian to the Premiership.

;)
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ortega Praises Turkey After Sealing Fenerbahce Move

06/24/2002.

Ariel Ortega says Turkey's run to the semi-final of the World Cup was a major factor in his decision to sign for Fenerbahce.

The Argentine playmaker has finally signed a four-year contract with the club, bringing to an end the long-running saga of his transfer.

"I don't know too much about Turkish football, but seeing their excellent form at the World Cup makes me proud to wear the Fenerbahce shirt," he said.

"They aim to achieve great things, so I came here to be part of that."

A Turkey Burrito ???? :dielaugh:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tuesday, July 2, 2002

Argentine Cardetti joins PSG

PARIS, July 2 (Reuters) - Argentine striker Martin Cardetti of River Plate signed a four-year contract with Paris St Germain, the French first division club said on Tuesday.
Cardetti, 26, had failed to agree a new contract with the Buenos Aires club in March and was free to be transferred.

The move had been planned since last March.

Cardetti will join compatriots Mauricio Pochettino and Gabriel Heinze at PSG.

:cap:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Redondo may need yet another operation

MILAN, July 5 - by Nadia Carminati (DS)

Just a few days ago he did a long interview with Gazzetta dello Sport in which he showed his hopes for the future and the will to finally play in the red and black jersey of AC Milan, while manager Ancelotti welcomed him at the team's gathering on Monday. Today however, there is the bad news for the Argentinean midfielder, in he may have to undergo further surgery (his fourth), due to the fact he is still suffering from pain in his knee. In the next days he'll undergo two different visits, one in Antwerp with prof. Maertens, the second one in Paris with prof. Saillant. "Only after their opinion will we decide whether we will do the operation on the knee's ligament or not" concluded Jean Pierre Meersseman, medical coordinator at AC Milan. It must be added that another operation for Redondo could signify the end of career.

:eek:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spanish Press Report That Riquelme To Barca Deal Is Done

07/08/2002.

One of the longest ongoing transfer sagas in world football looks to have finally been resolved, as the Spanish press are reporting that Catalan giants Barcelona have at long last completed the capture of prodigious Argentinean playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme from Boca Juniors

Riquelme's agent Daniel Bolotnicoff and Barca representatives Javier Perez Fargell and Leopoldo Hinjos reportedly put the official stamp on a contract in Rome on Monday that will earn the outrageously skillful 24-year-old £1.8 million for the next five seasons.

Barcelona chief Joan Gaspart is expected to officially announce the £7 million signing on Tuesday, while Riquelme is likely to be given until next week to report to his new club.

:cap:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simeone sets deadline for Atletico move

Tuesday 9th July 2002

Argentinian midfielder Diego Simeone has told Atletico Madrid to wrap up a deal for him by next week or he will stay with Lazio.

Simeone is a hugely popular figure at the Vicente Calderon, having played for the club between 1994 and 1997, winning the title in 1996, and he has often spoken of his desire to return.

But, he is now growing tired of the on-off saga surrounding a possible move.

"I can't work properly if I am thinking about a transfer all the time," he said. "If my transfer hasn't been resolved by July 18, I will stay where I am."

Simeone has also urged Lazio to clear up his position after months of speculation about his future.

"Every day I hear something different and it makes it difficult to concentrate," he said.

"I know that the club has to resolve some problems and that there are other offers for other players but I have told president Sergio Cragnotti that I need to have a definite answer."

Simeone suspects that Lazio are delaying a decision on his future until they know who else is definitely leaving, with Alessandro Nesta, Claudio Lopez and Juan Pablo Sorin among possible big money departures.

"If Lazio sells these players, there will be fresh money maybe to keep me, although I understand that Lazio has to pay some debts, to Velez for Castroman, for example.

"But I want to know where I will be playing next season. All the teams are starting their pre-season work," added Simeone.

The Argentinian nearly returned to Atletico two years ago and in March 2001, he said: "Atletico are the club where I have felt most comfortable during my career and where I first came to prominence.

"I have felt more appreciated there than anywhere else and I left a lot of friends in Madrid.

"I want to finish my career at Atletico because it makes me proud that the fans remember me and that they still sing my name at the Vincente Calderon."

:cap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
And some fresh news from South Americans connecting to Greece...

AEK snapped up Indepediende's prospect for the future and good dribbler Livio Prieto.He is a left offensive midfieleder and he has played in the "small" national teams.

Olympiakos this summer in difference to the past will not spend many money unless it happens a surprise.So they they are close to two young Brazilians.The central defender Edu Drassena who is captain of Brazil U-21 and his teammate at Guarani,Luis Fernando Martinez.

Although,i hope for the big bam and if it happens it may will be the small and not good goalscorer...MARIO JARDEL!!!
If this happens the team will score when it wants:happy:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Riquelme joins Barcelona, could go out on loan

July 9th

BARCELONA (Reuters) - Barcelona have completed a deal to sign Argentine midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme on a contract covering five or six seasons.

The Catalan club will pay Boca Juniors six million euros for 50 percent of the player's contract, with another five million euros due over the next two seasons to buy him outright.

"We're talking about an exceptional player," said club president Joan Gaspart as he announced the agreement on Tuesday. "We had to make sure he didn't escape."

Gaspart revealed the 24-year-old could be sent out on loan in his first season, though, as Barcelona already have four non-European Union players, the maximum allowed under Spanish Football Federation rules.

Coach Louis van Gaal will decide whether to let go one of the four players -- Argentina's Javier Saviola and Brazilians Rivaldo, Geovanni and Fabio Rochemback -- or wait to incorporate Riquelme into his squad.

"It would have been a mistake to sign the player without agreeing the possibility of such a (loan) move," Gaspart explained.

"The club's technical staff will make their decision in the next few weeks."

Riquelme did not make Argentina's World Cup squad but he is nevertheless regarded as one of his country's outstanding talents.

He was on the brink of joining Barcelona last year but a $24 million move fell through.

The player's resolve to secure a transfer abroad was strengthened when his brother Cristian was kidnapped earlier this year.

"They have threatened me and my siblings several times and they, like me, are very scared," Riquelme said back in May. "I am going to play my last two games (for Boca) and then I want to go abroad."

Riquelme becomes Barcelona's second new signing of the pre-season, following the arrival of German goalkeeper Robert Enke from Benfica.

:cap:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kostas said:
And some fresh news from South Americans connecting to Greece...

AEK snapped up Indepediende's prospect for the future and good dribbler Livio Prieto.He is a left offensive midfieleder and he has played in the "small" national teams.

Olympiakos this summer in difference to the past will not spend many money unless it happens a surprise.So they they are close to two young Brazilians.The central defender Edu Drassena who is captain of Brazil U-21 and his teammate at Guarani,Luis Fernando Martinez.

Although,i hope for the big bam and if it happens it may will be the small and not good goalscorer...MARIO JARDEL!!!
If this happens the team will score when it wants:happy:
Not getting away form the subject of S Americans abroad, in this particular case in Greece, but ..........

Espectro posted this note in the Concacaf Board :

"Seems like AEK is very interest in Costa Rica, yersterday Costa Rican player Walter Centeno travel to Greece to join AEK and become the second player from Costa Rica who plays with this team.
Reports said that two more Costa Rican players will be sign for AEK also they are : Jose Luis Lopez and Rodrigo Cordero"


:cool:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Barcelona's Riquelme could be loaned out to Udinese

MILAN, July 10 - by Nadia Carminati (www.DailySoccer.com)

New Barcelona signing, Juan Roman Riquelme could be loaned out to Udinese. Just a few hours after the Argentinean midfielder signed for Barcelona, president Joan Gaspart announced that it's possible that he could be transfered to Udinese on a one season loan, considering that the player has not been welcomed by coach Louis Van Gaal. But Udinese are also doing negotiations for a foreign forward, because Italian ones demand transfer fees that are simply too high for the club. Managers from the Italian club have enquired with Bayern Munich about Carsten Jancker, an interest confirmed by Bayern vice-president Karl Heinz Rummenigge.

Barcelona and Boca Juniors agreed a transfer fee of 5.9 million dollars for Riquelme on Tuesday. The 24-year-old Argentinean international will earn three million dollars a year for five years, with the Catalan club holding the option to extend for a sixth season.

Pizarro and Riquelme together ??? Wow...a great combo !!!

:cap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
No colocolo if Udinese sign Riquelme it will be Riquelme and the supersup Pizarro :(

That would be awful news, the play the exact same position. Pizarro waited 2 seasons for Fiore to get his chance and took it with both arms. This is the season for Pizarro to set the league alight at Udinese and Riqulme at the Friuli would be awful.

Anyway which Chileans will be in Serie A this year? The main ones will be Pizarro and Vargas with Salas having to be a sub at Juventus. No way he will ever start there. How I wish he was at Lazio :(
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Riquelme does make the trip to Udinese, then they might just sell Pizarro B4 the Season even starts !!
Remember Juve has been in terested in the Mago too !!!

;)
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chilavert sent to health farm to lose weight

STRASBOURG, France, July 12 (AFP) --

Charismatic Paraguayan goalkeeper Jose Luis Chilavert has been sent to a health farm by his French club Strasbourg and told to shed "a few kilograms" before the new season.
The first division club's goalkeeping coach Pascal Janin said 36-year-old Chilavert had returned from the World Cup finals overweight and had accepted the club's proposal to spend a week at the centre in Merano, Italy.
"There are a few kilos to lose," said Janin. "Rather than trying to lose it in training over a long period he is going to try to do it quicker.
"So he accepted the club's offer to go to Merano, where experts will help him change his dietary habits.
French midfield star Zinedine Zidane and Laurent Blanc have attended the same centre in the past.
Chilavert returned to Strasbourg on July 5 having been permitted extra holiday following his participation in the World Cup. He helped Paraguay reach the second round where they were beaten by eventual finalists Germany.
His place in the Strasbourg team is under threat as the club are on the verge of signing former Sochaux keeper Vincent Fernandez.
With Chilavert between the posts, Strasbourg were promoted to the first division at the end of the 2001-2002 season.

Health Farm ???? PIG Farm is more like it !!!! bahawah!!!! :dielaugh:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Duo seek Delgado talks

13 July 2002 (www.Teamtalk.com) --

Gordon Strachan and Rupert Lowe want to talk to Agustin Delgado to discover his plans despite him saying he is happy to return to Saints.
Confusion has reigned since the Ecuador star failed to report for pre-season training on Thursday.

Delgado claims that he aggravated his long-term knee injury while playing for his country at last month's World Cup and needs time to recover.

Delgado told reporters in Ecuador: "I want to recover completely here in Ecuador and talk to people in England so they give me time to recover properly. But I like England and Southampton."


:cap:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Santa Cruz out "for months" with injury

HOFFENHEIM, Germany, July 14 (AFP) --

Bayern Munich's Paraguayan striker Roque Santa Cruz is facing months on the sidelines with an ankle injury, his manager Ottmar Hitzfeld feared on Sunday.
The gangly 21-year-old suffered the injury when he collided with Arsenal's Moritz Volz shortly after scoring the last goal in Bayern's 6-0 friendly win over the German youth side.
He is due to undergo an intensive series of medical tests to determine the seriousness of the problem on Monday with Bayern doctor Hans-Wilhelm Wohlfart.
Hitzfeld, commenting on the situation after a training game here, said that his player could be out "for weeks, or even months".
Santa Cruz, part of Paraguay's World Cup team, joined Bayern from Paraguayan side Olimpia in 1999.

:eek:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paulo Sergio joins Emirati club Al-Wehda

DUBAI, July 14 (AFP) --

Bayern Munich's Brazilian striker Paulo Sergio has signed a one-year contract with Emirati side Al-Wehda, the club said on Sunday.
Al-Wehda club official Adel Khamis however did not reveal the transfer fee for the 33-year-old who had been at Munich since the 1999/2000 season.


:cool:
 

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Augustin Delgado Fined Two Weeks Wages By Southampton

07/15/2002. Southampton have fined Augustin Delgado two weeks wages after the Ecaudorian striker failed to show up for pre-season training.

The Premiership side also admit that they have no idea where he is and that a further fine will be forthcoming if he still fails to show.

Club secretary Brian Truscott told the club's official web site, "We are still waiting for some contact from the player. We have spoken to his agent but not to Delgado who remains in breach of his contract. He has been fined two weeks wages, the maximum allowed by the PFA of which he is a member. And whenn that expires he will be fined again if he is not here or provided a satisfactory explanation."

"Through the FA we have contacted FIFA for their assistance in getting the player back and to see what other measures we can take. A number of clubs are upset at FIFA's request that they release players to national associations without any recompense for wages or insurance costs while they are away. Situations like this do nothing to help."

Delgado's compatriot and club mate, Kleber Chala, has returned to Southampton as agreed.

:cap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
I'm sorry for Santa Cruz...as for Paulo Sergio,if Weah played for an Arabian team then why not and he??
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top