Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOCE, DIEZ, SIETE.. ¡CUATRO!

13 FINALS

The key to winning the League is to keep stacking up the clean sheets.

Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Cannavaro y Heinze. The Real Madrid defense will have to become a fort in which to win every single point. 10 straight wins and the leaders dropping points have left the League wide open.

December 13. El Clasico. Camp Nou. A 2-0 loss to Barcelona resulted in a 12-point deficit for the Madridistas. Normally, most clubs would give up and immediately concede the title. After all, Barcelona were playing swashbuckling footballing, oozed confidence and were riding a 14-match unbeaten streak - with only 1 defeat from their first 15 games. But Real Madrid is not a normal club. Just like the 06-07 miracle championship under Fabio Capello, Los Blancos once again only needed to remind themselves of their sacred values: never-say-die attitude, extraordinary team spirit and that undeterred, unshakable will to win. 12 points or 120 points, Real Madrid always believes it can win.

Fast-forward 11 weeks later. The lead at the top of the table has been reduced to four points. Juande Ramos has pulled off 10 straight wins, keeping 8 clean sheets in the process, and we enter the final 1/3 of the season with a realistic chance of the three-peat :proud: .

Matchday 26: REAL MADRID - Atlético Madrid (03-03-2009)

So.... Atleti, how do you want it? :D

Matchday 27: Athletic - REAL MADRID (15-03-2009)

Athletic are right bang in midtable but a trip to the Basque Country is never easy for Madrid. Their hostile atmosphere, very physical game and direct, wide football has undone us many, many times over the years at the place they call "La Catedral".

Matchday 28: REAL MADRID - Almería (22-03-2009)
Just like Athletic, Almería are also trawling midtable waters. The loss of Unai Emery as head coach to Valencia was expected to see them battling for survival, but his successor Gonzalo Arconada has steadied the ship and Almería are once again fighting for the European positions. And.... they do, of course, also have one ace up their sleeve: Real Madrid youth team product Alvaro Negredo. 15 goals thus far. Impressive.

Matchday 29: Malaga - REAL MADRID (05-04-2009)
Malaga are going from strength to strength and are level on points with fifth-placed Atletico. This is the one game over the next few weeks we should be worried about the most. A possible CL quarter-final a few days later? Maybe. Titles are won in these stadiums and if the boys are going to take their eye off the ball for a minute it is likely to be here. Dangerous.

Matchday 30: REAL MADRID - Valladolid (12-04-2009)
Pucela are having a typical season one would expect from a team simply not in the same financial league as the top six; inconsistency, struggling to replace injured players

Matchday 31: Huelva - REAL MADRID (19-04-2009)

Improving Recreativo are 13th and one of the form teams in 2009. After a hurrendous first-half of the season they have recovered very well for the segunda vuelta - losing only 1 in 9 since the winter break. This is the oldest club side in Spanish Football and this town is one of the very few that always welcomes Madrid :D . Another potential banana skin.

Matchday 32: REAL MADRID - Getafe (22-04-2009)

A rare midweek La Liga game. Getafe are another team that have enjoyed changed fortunes since the winter break. They came from two-down to draw 2-2 away to Real Betis two weeks ago, even though Roberto Soldado missed a late penalty. They're playing very well, are creating chances and just lack a little bit efficiency in front of goal. Good thing this game is at the Bernabeu, I say.

-----------------------------------------------------

Matchday 33: Sevilla vs Real Madrid (26-04-2009)
Sevilla are having another impressive season. At an institutional level, they're the best-run club in Spain, I think. Year after year they depart with star players for an important quantity of money and replace them with rising talent, yet always remaining competitive. They already have one foot in the Copa Final after their 2-1 first-leg win against Athletic - and are sitting pretty in the league in 3rd place. Of course, the financial disparity betweem them and Barca/Madrid means they lack the resources to sustain a realistic title challenge. This match is as difficult as the small matter of El Clasico... our record at the Sanchez Pizjuan since the turn of the millenium is pure ownage.

Matchday 34: REAL MADRID vs Barcelona (03-05-2009)
The game of the year. For the neutrals, it would be a thrilling prospect to find Madrid and Barca within close proximity of each other in the league heading into the classic. They may just get their wish. For me, it is important to head into this game at least a point ahead. To find ourselves in a must-win situation would not be ideal considering we're unlikely to record the 3-0 win needed to swing the head-to-head in our favour.

Matchday 35: Valencia - REAL MADRID (10-05-2009)

I think Valencia are annoying and they're crap.

Matchday 36: Villarreal - REAL MADRID (17-05-2009)
The second trip in as many weeks to the Comunidad Valenciana. Villarreal are a very good team with a world-class coach in Manuel Pellegrini, we beat them 1-0 at the Bernabeu but it was far from easy. This is the last game of the Grand Slam stretch and whoever is 1st place at this point has a fantastic chance to win the league with only two matches remaining.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Matchday 37: REAL MADRID - MALLORCA (24-05-2009)
Enough said. :proud:

Matchday 38: Osasuna - REAL MADRID (30-05-2009)
Enough said. :proud:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
The legend begins... again. :proud:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Capello title was incredible, but this would be just as sweet. Imagine the best Barca in History, 12 points ahead...

I think to win the title we will need to go 11-1-1 in our last 13 matches - which is of course very difficult considering that we're already on a 10-match winning streak. For me, Barca are still the clear favourites.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
JUNTOS PODEMOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
You know what's funny?

The "best Real Madrid in history" was last year, and Barca were nowhere even close.

The "best Barcelona in history" is just 4 points ahead of us despite managerial changes and a rocky start to the year. :howler:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Mo, great work for putting this together. :)

I agree that this would be just as good as the Capello title. We were dead and buried not all that long. Whatever happens I will be proud of the boys for a great comeback but I want that title. :fero: :)

Where is Che and his chief these days? I think part of the turnaround was due to the chief coming out. ;)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
Great effort for a wonderful thread. It would be crazy if we won the league this year. It will be extremely hard, we could even take a big blow next week without Pepe against Kun and the Rojiblancos.

But to be honest, nothing can beat the season we played with Capello. Too many emotional and breathtaking games. I always like to remember when Guti came on against Sevilla. It was a magical night. We also turned around so many games in the last minutes that it was unbelievable. And I will never forget the seconds when we equalized against Zaragoza and suddenly Tamudo's face pops up on the screen. Nothing will top that season. And the faces of the Barcelona boys... :howler:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
The 1-3 deficit against Espanyol, with Ruud holding up Pipita's jersey after the 4-3 winning goal... that was something else. :proud:

Who remembers Becks climbing the pole like a stripper after Robinho's goal against Sevilla from a beautiful Guti pass? :howler:

And, like Rahzzy mentioned... we can never forget the best 20 seconds in La Liga history. Cicinho and Robinho were going nuts on the bench when Tamudo scored, that was something else. Loved seeing those crushed Cule hearts. :broken: :D

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
We'll open a thread to compare the 2 IF we do go on to win the title. The Capello one was pretty emotional as well as crazy. The Recreativo match was another heart in the mouth game where RC scored a goal right at the death. For some reason Recre sent everyone up for a corner and then we countered with Pipita approaching their goal. Tha ball somehow managed to make its way to RC after 2 deflections or something and the rest is history. The Gods were on our side that season. :)

·
A por Ellos!
6,895 Posts
First things first, Thanx Moha for the great thread. I knew you were the best at it thats why I asked you to open it. Gracias.

Now, some of you are saying that if we won this one, it wont be as special as the Capello one. Well, I disagree, as great as it was, as emotional as it was, the 20 seconds made me cry and scream like there is no tomorrow, one of the best days of my life, never cried from joy, it was real special. On the other hand, if we do manage to go top soon, it will be crazy, coz when we lost against barca in december, no madridista in the world thought we would have a chance to win the league but here we are. We are Real Madrid, we never give up.

I remember very well what Salgado and Raul said after the Barca game in december. They said that it really hurt them seeing Barca celebrating the goals like they just won the league and it left them a bad taste in their mouth and I remember Raul saying that even more than ever, they will fight back. Trust me, when barca comes to the bernabeu and if we have a chance to top them that day, it will be a day to go down in history, we will come out like tigers and lions.

They disrespected us and it will be payback time. It will be more emotional, you will see, its just coz we have nothing to compare it too, we think the capello remontada will never be surpassed, well i think it will.

VAMOS MADRID!!! ASI, ASI, ASI GANA EL MADRID!!!

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Madrid hopes soar as gap at the top narrows

As the night drew in, a fleet of vans drew up outside Camp Nou. The engines died, the drivers lit up and over strolled a man with a clipboard. This was a special delivery. Piled in the back was a consignment of Dodotis, Spain's answer to *Pampers. That, at least, is what the sports daily AS claimed. Barcelona, they insisted, were bricking it.

The charmingly titled cagómetro – Barcelona's very own crapping-yourself-ometre, measuring Catalan fear by the crapahertz – was flickering into life. Soon, they gloated, it would be off the scale. :howler: Today, after an unbelievable night at the Vicente Calderón left 55,000 boing-boinging all the way home with delirious, incredulous smiles stretched across their faces, it seems it really is.

Never mind the fact that it was Real Madrid who leapt round the Valladolid pitch celebrating the league in 1981, only for a late Real Sociedad goal to deny them the title; ignore the fact that it was Madrid who blew two successive leagues on the final day at Tenerife; and as for the fact that it was Madrid who threw away the 2003-04 title with five successive defeats, forget it. Catalans are the country's greatest pessimists, FC Barcelona its biggest bottlers – and they were going to do it again. It didn't matter that they were 12 points clear, scoring countless goals, or that Madrid were playing pathetically. If anyone can't, Barça can't.

When Barcelona drew 2–2 with Real Betis, Marca declared Madrid's trip to Gijón a "Golden Opportunity". It was golden, all right: an opportunity to close the gap to 10 measly points from a team that had dropped six all season. When Madrid won 4–0, they went bonkers. "The league's reborn," screamed Marca; "Licence to dream," declared AS.

No one has overturned 10 points before – not even the Madrid side that somehow, God knows how, clawed Barcelona back in 2007, 18 incredible seconds seeing them clinch the title on head-to-head goal difference – but it hardly mattered. A familiar phrase returned: Hay Liga. There is a league. Game on! Madrid's front covers said it all. "Declared: a state of optimism". "We believe in the league". "Barça: do panic!" And Marca's answer to the cagómetro: "Canguelo en Can Barcelona". Barça have the willies.

Now, you can accuse the Madrid press of many things but being right is not normally one of them. This time, though, maybe it was – more through luck, cynical salesmanship and wishful thinking than good judgement, but right nonetheless. Last week, Barcelona were beaten by Espanyol, while Madrid hammered Betis 6–1. "Yes, they can!" cheered the cover of Marca and, amazingly, it seems they really can. "The cagómetro blew up after Iván De la Peña's goal," declared Tomás Guasch, "so the Catalan government asked for another one but it only lasted three days."

The reason was simple: in three weeks Barça's lead has gone from 12 points to four. On Saturday night Madrid beat Espanyol 2-0 in a dreadful game at Montjuic, racking up their 10th successive victory; then Barcelona lost to Atlético Madrid, racking up their third successive league match without a win.

"It was," said Julio Salinas, "just like the Barcelona-Atléticos I played." As *glorious chances went begging, it was hard not to agree with him; as the goals flew in, it was impossible not to stand there grinning like Zippy. It was fantastic fun, breathless and brilliant. Half the stadium thought Kun Agüero had scored, but his shot had hit the side-netting. At the other end, there was almost an own goal, then Leo Franco made a great save, Víctor Valdés dropped a clanger, Johnny Heitinga scored, the referee wrongly ruled it out, and Thierry Henry nearly got the first. The guy in front asked his mate if that joint he was smoking was stronger than usual. They'd only been playing four minutes.

It never let up, either. Henry scored a fantastic curler, Dani Alves died and came back to life, Franco headed away another attempted own goal, and Leo Messi glided through to score an amazing second. "Let's go home," said one Madrid supporter, just as a 627-yarder from Diego Forlán screeched past Valdés.

Eidur Gudjohnsen missed a sitter for 3-1 and so, 10 minutes into the second half, did Samuel Eto'o. Thirty seconds later, Rafael Marquez blundered and Aguero didn't. 2-2. "Kun! Kun! Kun!" Agüero went down, no penalty; Forlán missed a sitter for 3-2, Henry made it 2-3 and Eto'o and Messi should have made it 2-4. The man doing the scoreboard thought they had. Immediately, an Atlético player went down and Barcelona attacked. Halfway up the pitch, the referee finally saw his linesman frantically waving like a contestant on Going for Gold and went back to give the penalty. Forlán made it 3-3. Ninety minutes ticked up, Kun bundled through, Valdés went down and so did the stadium. 4-3!

"We love this football!", wrote Juan Cruz. "That's our Atléti!" screamed the cover of AS, conveniently switching support. "Super-Canguelo!" laughed Marca. "Enough already!" pleaded El Mundo Deportivo, as La Vanguardia went through a thesaurus. Barcelona, they said, *"collapsed, broke down, fell to bits, hit the canvas."

On TVE's new-look Estudio Estadio, the round-up show "uninterrupted by advert breaks" (except the 20-minute one at the start and the chicken burger, pools coupon, transit van, beer, and text-message ones that form part of the programme), they asked that very question: are Barcelona in crisis?

It might seem an odd question. Barcelona remain four points clear and should win the league. As a face-off with Madrid, this three-game run was always going to be the season's hardest: barring the Madrid-Barça clásico at the Bernabéu, from now on Madrid probably have harder fixtures week by week. Drawing 2-2 away with Betis is no disgrace, Espanyol was a derby and losing a lead to Atlético is not unusual – it's happened in each of the last four seasons. Even Johan Cruyff's 1993-94 league champions blew a 3-0 lead to lose 4-3 at the Calderón. Against Betis, Barcelona dominated, against Espanyol they were down to 10 men and last night they certainly had the chances to win it.

But something's not right. Barcelona have conceded eight goals in three games, they are making mistakes and Valdés is, as the Spanish put it, a colander. Even before this run they had started stuttering slightly; they needed a hand from the referee against Numancia, produced a comeback against Osasuna, needed Messi to come off the bench to defeat Racing, and got a fright in the Copa del Rey against Espanyol.

Every team is now facing them for the second time. The squad is short, they've played every three days since the new year, while Madrid have played every seven – a situation that will continue if their respective Champions League results go as anticipated – and there is no escaping the fact that they look tired.

The fact that they have dropped eight points in three matches they have played knowing Madrid's result suggests that even if the delivery of Dodotis is premature, the pressure is starting to tell, too. There may not be a crisis in Catalonia but there is, unexpectedly, a title race in Spain.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
will be ****ing hilarious when we win you this weekend and all this book you wrote wouldnt mean shit :D :D

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Maxi, have you lived in a cave for a million years? :D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Once again, Real Madrid has fought and scraped back into contention where all others simply fell away. It doesn't really even matter if the title is won or not. I'm proud of this team because it doesn't just die in the face of battle.

You can forget that other team, this is the team that is "More than a Club".

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.marca.com/2009/03/03/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1236039136.html

What an idiot. It seems he didn't learn from his ridiculous 3-0 prediction ahead of the Liverpool 1st leg. Now he's saying Barca are only a point ahead because we're going to beat them at the Bernabeu. :rollani: It's okay for fans to say things like that but when the President (albeit an illegitimate one) of Real Madrid makes comments like that it only proves counter-productive.

I am already starting to dislike this clown, even more than Calderon.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Why make a thread for a club that is 2nd round CL fodder? :confused:

It's like making one for Werder Bremen in the CL, ie teams who do nothing in the CL.
lol, such a very poor attempt LCF. You can do far better mate.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.