Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 680 Posts

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs has called for a limit on the number of foreign players in the Premiership.

Giggs supports the view that there are too many average overseas players who are blocking the progress of young home-grown players and believes that it is time for the game's authorities to act.

"I think they've got to do something," Giggs told the Manchester United magazine. "If you ask any player they'll say the same thing.

"There's no problem when you're bringing in quality players, the likes of Peter Schmeichel or Eric Cantona, they're nothing but good for the game.

"But then you've got mediocre players coming in while there are plenty of 18 and 19-year-olds who could do the job. And because the imports are cheap, clubs think they have to buy them.

"Managers are under so much pressure to produce, they've got to be seen to be buying and it's like 'Oh, he's a foreigner, he must be good.'

"I think some sort of measure should be brought in, although it will have to be done sensibly. The previous foreigner rule caused us problems and the amount of foreign players has probably trebled since then. It's a difficult one.

"But if you look at the more successful teams – Leeds, Liverpool and ourselves – they've all got young players and a good balance."

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ryan Giggs is reportedly set to become the highest paid player in Manchester United's history when he pens a five year deal worth £55,000 a week.
The Wales international winger has been in talks with United's new supremo Peter Kenyon and will sign a contract that is designed to see the 26-year-old pledge the best years of his career to Old Trafford.
Giggs is expected to finalise the deal with the United hierarchy in December that will see him earn parity with the existing top earner at Old Trafford, Roy Keane. However, because Giggs will be offered a deal for five years, the reputed £12.5m he will earn over that period will make him the highest earner in Manchester United's history.
Giggs has 15 months left on his current contract worth a reputed £25,000 a week and was recently quoted as saying the urge to try his luck on the continent had left him.
He said: "I'm a red for life. Years ago I was tempted to look abroad, but my motive was to improve my game - it was never for the money.
"But when I look around the Premiership today, I just see great players. Maybe because of that, the incentive to move has gone."
However, despite news that Giggs is set to pen the mega-bucks deal, he will not enjoy the mantle as United's top wage earner for long, with talks with David Beckham set to start in the New Year. The England midfielder is being tipped to sign a deal worth £70,000 per week.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
I normally write in this forum but i haven't noticed Giggs lately. Is he injured? or is out of form and someone else is playing in his position? I don't normally watch Man U games but i seriously haven't heard his name at all this season. Please give some info, thanx........

·
Registered
662 Posts
He's doing fine; he had a hamstring injury and was out. He played in the latter part of the match against Tottenham and should be back with his awesome dribbling skills real soon. :)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
thanx for clearing it up for me, good news for Man U, bad news for teh other teams in the Premier League.....hahahhaa

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ryan Giggs could partner Teddy Sheringham in attack against Sturm Graz tonight with Alex Ferguson reluctant to tamper with his in-form midfield.
The United manager is likely to make few changes to the side which beat Tottenham 2-0 on Saturday for the tough test in Austria, against a Sturm Graz side which has a reputation of taking few prisoners on its own ground.
Sturm Graz have transformed in the last 12 months according to Ferguson, and he is warning his players to expect some rough treatment when they face the Austrian champions in the aptly named Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium.
He said: "They have improved. I have seen videos of all their Champions' League games so far this season against Galatasaray, Rangers and Monaco and they haven't lost a goal.
"They are very aggressive at home and have been winning their games comfortably. It will be a very hard match for us."
Last night United trained at the stadium named after the Hollywood film star who was born in Graz, and Sir Alex will reveal his line-up shortly before the kick off.
Last season United won 3-0 in Austria, and would certainly settle for a similar performance this time round.
On that first visit to Graz, United scored their goals before half time through Roy Keane, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole in front of a crowd of just 16,480 - capacity for the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium - and had to brave a tough second half as Sturm lived up to their name and threw everything at the then European Champions.
Ferguson added: "They made a lot of chances in the second half and we were a bit fortunate.
"Our first half performance that day was very good and tonight we are going into the game with our team in full flow and confidence high.
"I don't have any injuries from Saturday so I can pick the side I want to pick and I think everyone is looking forward to it."
Long-term victims Ronny Johnsen, Jaap Stam and Andy Cole are the only definite absentees.

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ryan Giggs has hinted again he wants to see out his career at Old Trafford, and he wants to get the negotiations underway immediately.
The Welsh winger said: "Why would you want to leave? We are always challenging for championships and trophies. I definitely don't want to leave. These are exciting times and obviously we're playing well.
"I think the average age is the mid-20s, so the best has yet to come from this team - because in the next two or three years a lot of players will be hitting their peaks. It's early days yet but, after this year, I will only have a year left so we just have to get it sorted out. I don't think the club want to let it go so I've got less than a year to go and I want to get it sorted out straightaway.
"I'm probably looking for four or five years so that will take me to the grand old age of 32."
Giggs also revealed that, were he unable to agree new terms with United, he would move to the continent rather than face a return with one of the Reds' Premiership rivals.
He added: "If I were going to leave, I couldn't imagine coming here and playing against the team I support and have been with for ten years. Before I said you never know what's going to happen, but now I'm sitting down and talking about a long-term contract, and I don't want to go anywhere else."

Offer him the deal!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Giggs is my alltime favourite player and it should be him on £100,000 a week not Beckham, however good Beckham is, Giggs is far the better player

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Running down the wing......

G

·
Yeah giggs is a top quality player but look at what he was doing 4 - 5 seasons ago - scoring top goals etc but i think that beckham has sort of took the lime light of him a bit and he has gone a bit quiet. I do think giggs is the better all round player, but beckham is the player i would sooner have in the team - due to consistency, range of passing, free-kicks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well they add different things to the team. They are both great at what they do but the topic about Gigg's new deal is a no brainer...give it to him :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is exactly the point I have been trying to make to you all:

Giggs - United need new faces ^top

Ryan Giggs feels Manchester United "need a few new faces" if they are to emulate the success of their historic 1999 Treble season.
The 27-year-old Wales international, who yesterday signed a new five-year deal with the Premiership champions, claims The Reds are not playing to their maximum potential.
Frenchman Mickael Silvestre was manager Sir Alex Ferguson's last outfield signing in September 1999 and Giggs predicts that the Old Trafford paymasters will have to brandish the cheque book in order to avoid being overtaken in the race for major silverware.
He said: "I look back to the start of the 1999 season and a few new faces came in - with Jaap Stam, Dwight Yorke and Jesper Blomqvist.
"All of them made a massive contribution to us winning the Treble, including the 2-1 final win against Bayern.
"At the start of this season we did not add an outfield player and while this club already has world-class players, you always need a few new faces."
Giggs believes that United have lost their "spark" in the wake of Tuesday's disappointing home defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
He told The Sun: "We're simply not playing anything like two years ago.
"The game against Bayern was a prime example of where we did not look like having that spark which would see us overrun them.
"Two years ago we had it - but now it has gone."

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Agree with u 100%.Utd urgently need to invest in some new and if possible world-class players so that there is renewed competition for places in the 1st team.Also we need a striker up front as Andy Cole is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever seen:yuck:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well I think most people thought the same thing...a fresh new signing is needed for sure. But should it be a defender, midfield or forward and any suggestions on realistic possibilities?

·
Registered
275 Posts
1) Striker - RVN,
2) CB - Sol Campbell,
3) LB - Ian Harte/Chivu,
4) Midfield - Nedved/Jeremies

We break the bank and buy for all 4 positions...we need them

Come on Utd you are the richest club in the world.....lets see you flash the cash !!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yeh not a bad shopping list but then again you gotta consider that too much competition can drive out players.
Plus we can't spend TOO much and buying too many players at once isn't wise I think. But certainly a few key players would influence the team a lot I think, even if it does contradict with the successful 'continuity' philosophy but a signing is needed and sooner the better!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Sol Campbell and RVN a must next season.Harte probably wont come so we have to do with the currently two left backs.As for nedved either he or Rivaldo,any one of them will do.:D;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I doubt that ALL the players you mentioned would realistically come to United, but even one or two of those players will definately improve United greatly and surely improve our hunger and figthing spirit.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Ruud no way. think bigger Sheva, saviola, kluivert.

I dont think the RVN is good enough to wear MU jersey!

Nesta, Sheva, Zidane, zanetti these names are being linked to Madrid, why do I not see the same for United? I feel united is a big fish in a small pond (EPL)while teams like Real, Barca, Lazio, Juve, AC want to be big fish in a large ocean.United must but themselve on this stage because you belong there so think big united open your wallet.

1 - 20 of 680 Posts