Xtratime Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the World Cup only 8 days away i thought i would open up a Russian World Cup Thread :) Post all articles and all opinions about Russia at the WC in this thread :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
My predictions for Russia:

Win against Tunisia
Win/Draw against Japan
Draw against Belgium

They will probably meet Turkey in the 2nd round, which I think might go down to penalties, with Russia winning :D then they will lose the quarter final to Argentina.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Win against Tunisia
then 2 draws

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Russia beat Tunisia 2-0 in their first game, no surprises there. Titov scored which is great ;)

Next match against Japan on June 9 in Yokohama. I am expecting a draw for this game. 2-2 probably.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Japan leads 1-0...but there should have been a penalty for Russia in the first half!!

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I expected a bit more from Russia tonight. It was a bit of a disappointing performance, despite the absence of Mostovoi. They are in a bit of bother now. They must beat Belgium in their last game to have any chance of qualifying for the 2nd round.

But Beschastnykh missed a sitter :eek:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Romantsev Quits Russia
Belgium - Russia | News Archive

Stepping aside (Allsport)
06/14/2002. Russia coach Oleg Romantsev has quit his post after seeing his side eliminated from the World Cup by Belgium.

The whole of the back-room staff have also resigned and a Russian press officer said: "It was not an immediate or emotional decision. They discussed it for 40 minutes before deciding to resign."

After Romantsev revealed at the beginning of the tournament that a first-round knockout would force him to resign, this move is hardly surprising.

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Nielsen Emerges As Candidate For Russian Job
News Archive

06/26/2002. Israeli coach Richard Moller Nielsen has emerged as one of the leading candidates to replace Oleg Romantsev as Russia's coach.

The Dane is set to step down as coach of Israel when his contract expires at the end of this month and has been tipped to take charge of Russia.

Nielsen guided Denmark to the 1992 European Championships.

soccerage ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.