Xtratime Community banner

Russian players in foreign leagues

2K views 45 replies 8 participants last post by  AAB fan 
#1 ·
I can't remember if there was a thread like this, but I think this might be a good idea for some international discussion.

Most people think that fewer and fewer Russian players leave the country because of the high wages paid by Gazprom, Lukoil and co.

BUT they are out there.:) Most of them play there for a long time and seem to have been forgotten. Let's start with two interesting players.

First of all Ivan Saenko: This former Voronezh player (23 years old) has scored 5 goals for Nürnberg this season. Let's see if he gets more call ups for the NT. Yesterday he scored.

Yevgeni Levchenko: A 29 year old midfielder who plays for Groningen in Holland. Has scored against Ajax today.

#2 · (Edited)
Let's continue with Alexandr Kerzhakov, 24 year old striker with FC Sevilla and

Andrei Karyaka, 28 year old midfielder and bench player of Benfica.

Any more? :)

Edit: Kerzhakov scored today! Well done, Kerzh! :)

#4 ·
He played for Fakel Voronezh and came to Germany (Karlsruhe) as a young player. Nürnberg signed him from there in 2005.

#6 ·
Any info to which club he will return?

Doesn't Smertin play for Dinamo?:)

#8 ·
Good, so we have another one in our list. :)

#9 ·
Saenko scored for Nürnberg against Bayern. 1-0 at halftime.

#14 ·
Thanks! I've checked one site which said he was Russian but he's Ukrainian indeed.

#15 ·
Saenko does it again! 2 goals inside 2 minutes!!!!

#23 ·
Pavlyuchenko - Kerzh are the first choice, true.

Saenko's tally stands at 9 now. Of course one should mention Nürnberg plays with 3 strikers, with Schroth as a target man and Saenko and Vittek behind him. So Saenko might be the perfect choice if Russia tries a similar system.

#24 ·
Kerzhakov just scored against Barcelona! So great to see him flourish in the Spanish league!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.