Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Russian billionaire plans ?00M Man Utd takeover
tribalfootball.com - December 30, 2003

Russian billionaire Ralif Safin is being linked with a takeover of Manchester United.
Safin, 49, is the co-founder of Russia's biggest oil company Lukoil and a prominent politician. He also is one of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's biggest rivals.

The City has being buzzing with talk about a Russian investor stalking United - now valued at almost ?00 million.

Henk Potts, a top City analyst at Barclays, told The Sun: "Given how far United shares have moved this year - and considering the big players have strengthened their positions - Mr Safin would have to pay an absolute fortune to takeover the club."

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Russian tycoon linked with United

Manchester United shares rose three per cent as a Russian oil mogul became the latest millionaire to be linked with a bid for the Premiership champions.

Ralif Safin, one of the founders of Russia's largest oil company Lukoil, is reported to have contacted a London-based investment bank about a possible offer for the club.

Rumours of a move for United by a mystery Russian businessman have circulated in the City for months following the takeover of Chelsea by Roman Abramovich.

Shares in the Premiership table-toppers rose three per cent to stand 8.25p ahead at 264.25p as the markets added Mr Safin to a list of potential suitors that includes Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer and racing tycoons JP McManus and John Magnier.

The club will not comment on any takeover speculation but one city analyst played down the likelihood of a firm offer for the club from Safin, whose 20-year-old daughter Alsou is a Russian pop star.

Henk Potts, of Barclays stockbrokers, said: "Given how far Manchester United shares have moved this year and considering that the big players have strengthened their positions, Mr Safin would have to pay an absolute fortune to take over the club."

Safin first contacted London bankers several months ago but decided to wait until after Russia's elections before making a move, according to the report.

However, the City expects any takeover of United to be launched by either Glazer or Cubic Expression - the investment vehicle of McManus and Magnier.

Glazer upped his stake in the club to 14.3 per cent last month while Cubic Expression holds more than 24 per cent after making a number of purchases this year, including buying out the interest of BSkyB.

The club is currently valued at just under £700million after takeover speculation helped shares more than double in the last year.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy Christ said:
Russian oligarhs are planning to take over EPL:D
:howler:

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Dammit, why can't these russian playboys buy someone like Dynamo Kiev or Spartak Moskow? It would be cool seeing Kiev become a superpower, and develop more Ukrainian talent. Imagine Dynamo Kiev winning the CL, bidding for the highest talent, and Ukraine becoming a genuine challenger for trophies. It would be cool because it would be different.

D

·
0 Posts
Safin is being linked with a takeover of Liverpool, a far better deal for him in every way.

Get Trimi's family to buy the club. He reckons he earns over £100million a year and that his family are one of the richest in Britain.

D

·
0 Posts
Chris said:
Dammit, why can't these russian playboys buy someone like Dynamo Kiev or Spartak Moskow? It would be cool seeing Kiev become a superpower, and develop more Ukrainian talent. Imagine Dynamo Kiev winning the CL, bidding for the highest talent, and Ukraine becoming a genuine challenger for trophies. It would be cool because it would be different.
Because they all want to get out of Russia and take their money with them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
why would he buy liverpool.man liverpool is a team who is supposed to play champions league football but them they are going towards relegation.if i was safin i wouldnt spend my money on liverpool.i hope safin is not like perez.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Get Trimi's family to buy the club. He reckons he earns over £100million a year and that his family are one of the richest in Britain.
Hahahaha that was one of my friends taking the piss :howler: :tongue:
btw I dont live in Britain

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
super-giggs said:
why would he buy liverpool.man liverpool is a team who is supposed to play champions league football but them they are going towards relegation.if i was safin i wouldnt spend my money on liverpool.i hope safin is not like perez.

Liverpool has huge potential for development business wise, while Man Utd are a much more expensive club that already have a massive business exploration in every sense.

And to get Liverpool to the top is not exactly a difficult thing to do, considering the history and potential of the club.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Liverpool has huge potential for development business wise, while Man Utd are a much more expensive club that already have a massive business exploration in every sense.
Totally agree with that. Man United are worth over £700M and only a fool would pay that much, when thye could buy Liverpool for way way less than that. And as Ze said, they have a huge potential to be a world super power again, and the guy who buys them will make a fortune from the club

·
Registered
368 Posts
on liverpool he has to spend hundreds of millions to get out some profit as he will have to spend about 200 million to get the club at the very best whilst he wouldnt even be able to get 150 million out as the profit in his life time.whilst if he buys man u he will have to spend 700 million and then he could take out profits of around hundreds of millions and then sell man u back at 700 million so what he gained was 100's of millions whilst he didnt have to spend money to bring man u to the best because man u is already at the best.only a moratti could buy liverpool and then spend all your money and dont even look towards profit but there arnt moratti's available any more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts