Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they were in da UEFA wateva final some yrs ago and st perterson destroyed bayern (lol )

That league is attracting some quality playas and some clubs do have money , so can this league compete with the big 4 leagues in da future?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Yes, Russia will be one of the top-5 leagues in Europe very soon. Maybe they won't ever get as high as England, Spain or Italy, but they are not far behind Germany and France anymore and I expect the Russian league to make further progress.

Just a shame that they reversed all those cool communist-era names. If only St Petersburg was still called Leningrad ... it'd have been so nice to see a European final with the name Leningrad involved :depress:

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
They have the money, their problem is players moan about it English weather, so obviously Russian weather is kind of next level.

But it's certainly competing with France and Germany as somewhere players go before they come to the big three now. I think it's overtaken Holland.

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
The RPL is a pretty good league and improvements can be noticed through out the last decade.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
and the distances. One of the few negatives of the Russian league IMO is that so many teams in the premier division come from the Moscow-St Petersburg area. Russia is bigger than the whole of Europe but so many clubs come from that one area of the country, imagine the potential of Russian football the day that the rest of the country gets fully exposed to football. It just is weird that apart from Luch Vladivostok no eastern Russian or central Russian teams get into the top division (where are the teams from Ekaterinburg, Irkutsk, Vladikavkaz, Kamchatka, ... ???). Imagine the huge potential of Russian football if those areas would get involved, there must be an incredible amount of talented players that may remain unnoticed due to their geographic location.

PS: the day that Spartak Belushya Guba gets into the premier division, I promise I will travel to see their first home game :proud: Groundhopping trip of a lifetime!

·
Registered
70,596 Posts
and the distances. One of the few negatives of the Russian league IMO is that so many teams in the premier division come from the Moscow-St Petersburg area. Russia is bigger than the whole of Europe but so many clubs come from that one area of the country, imagine the potential of Russian football the day that the rest of the country gets fully exposed to football. It just is weird that apart from Luch Vladivostok no eastern Russian or central Russian teams get into the top division (where are the teams from Ekaterinburg, Irkutsk, Vladikavkaz, Kamchatka, ... ???). Imagine the huge potential of Russian football if those areas would get involved, there must be an incredible amount of talented players that may remain unnoticed due to their geographic location.

PS: the day that Spartak Belushya Guba gets into the premier division, I promise I will travel to see their first home game :proud: Groundhopping trip of a lifetime!
Well, Tom' and Amkar also play fairly far from Moscow. Though I agree that in a 16 team league having 7 teams from Moscow and around Moscow is a bit excessive.

Alania Vladikavkaz won the Russian title in 1995 btw. Hopefullly they'll be promoted this year as they have a great fan base.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Vladivostok is the one who have most rights to complain: every away game they have to travel several time zones, while the Moscow teams only have to make such a far travel once every season. Vladivostok borders China actually, about 8000 km from Moscow (some Zenit fans last season were crazy enough to drive to the away game in Vladivostok in a very old car... Halfway the drive back their car stopped working and they were stuck in a desolate area halfway Vladivostok and Moscow :))

Actually there are several cities further east than Vladivostok. Imagine Uelen in the premier division (unlikely for such a small town), that'd be a 10000 km travel for Zenit and the Moscow teams.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Would be great to have such teams in D1. Some more arctic teams would make it very interesting to me, like Murmansk or Archangelsk (or Dikson :D).

I once suggested on another forum they should consider one team from Ulan Bator, which has no local professional team and in an amateur league also cannot really afford to go professional. If they would play in a fully professional Russian league against well-known teams like Zenit, CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow etc I think the new Ulan Bator club could make it big as they'd have no competitors in that area. I am not sure if FIFA would allow it though, as Russia is affiliated to UEFA while Mongolia is affiliated to AFC.

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
isnt distance quite a problem? Travelling to vladivostok looks like a fair journey.
12 hours or something like that..

:howler:

Imagine how the players feel, that must be the only game of the season they want to be either injured or sick :howler:

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Just a shame that they reversed all those cool communist-era names. If only St Petersburg was still called Leningrad ... it'd have been so nice to see a European final with the name Leningrad involved :depress:
No it wouldn't

St. Petersburg >>>>> Leningrad

1 - 20 of 38 Posts