Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RUSH: IT'S FATE WE DREW JUVENTUS

Ian Rush says Liverpool's pairing with Juventus in the quarter finals of the Champions League owes a lot to fate.
Twenty years on from the Heysel Stadium tragedy in Brussels, the two clubs will meet again for the first time with a place in the last four of Europe's premier club competition up for grabs.

Rush, who played for both clubs, feels it appropriate the two teams will meet again next month, and is even backing the winner to go all the way to the final.

He said: "I think it's fate the clubs have been drawn together just as the 20 year anniversary of Heysel is approaching.

"I was pleased to hear Rick Parry say there will be some special events to bring the fans together. There has been a long healing process since 1985 and I think the fact the clubs are meeting now is appropriate.

"The friendship has been there for 20 years, not only starting when I moved to Turin but also when I returned. The deal to bring me back to Liverpool in 1988 was agreed and completed on the telephone. That showed the level of trust between the clubs.

"Contrary to the myth, I enjoyed my time at Juventus and this will bring back a lot of happy memories.

"I fancy whoever gets through to go all the way. It's going to be very difficult for Liverpool but they've got a great chance. Anfield will be special for the first leg and they could achieve what they did against Roma a few years ago in the UEFA Cup. No-one fancied Liverpool, but they succeeded."

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Fated it does seem so. THere has to be an end to the sad memories of Heysel. This tie could be the moment when European football witness a change in terms of club relations and how deep the passion runs in the hearts of fans. I just hope with that being the case, no idiot fan would appear as a hooligan and ruin the occasion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts