Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been surfing around the net and have heard quite a few interesting things invloving the team. If anyone knows anything about any of theses things would you let me know

1 Landon Donovan is almost certain to return to Bayer Leverkusen after the MLS season

2 Eddie Lewis is going to be leaving Fulham ( thank god )

3 The most shocking is that after the Cup Bruce Arena will leave The national team in oursuit of coaching in the premier league and will be replaced by Dutch Legend Frank Rijkard. I think if that is true that Rijkard should not take over , I think the person that should take over is Bob Bradley of the Chicago Fire .

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
1. MLS has come out saying that Donovan will definitely stay. Donovan's agent says he'll only go back to Germany if he's assured playing time. Clearly this is still up in the air.

2. That's the first I'd heard of that.

3. I'd seen the Arena rumor too, but I don't buy it. His roots are too deep here in the U.S. If he chooses not to continue as the U.S. coach, I think he'll pursue some other position that will advance U.S. soccer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Rumors Rumors Rumors

Austin, Austin, Austin,

You should know better than to believe soccer rumors you might read on the internet unless you read it right here on Xtratime and its by a knowledgeable poster you know. (As opposed to one of those Bigsoccer.com poachers!):D :D :D

Oldplayer;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Leverkusen want US ace Donovan back

Thursday 20th June 2002

Bayer Leverkusen managing director Reiner Calmund has confirmed that United States star Landon Donovan will return to the BayArena in October after completing a loan spell at San Jose Earthquakes.

"We are exercising our option to bring him back in October," explained Calmund. "We believe he has an important role to play in our future development."

Calmund's comments come less than 24 hours before Donovan is due to line-up for the USA against Germany in the World Cup quarter-final.

The 20-year-old attacking midfielder, who is under contract at Leverkusen until 2007, has been in impressive form for his country.

Donovan was always likely to be recalled by last season's Champions' League finalists after starring for the Earthquakes in last season's Major League Soccer championship success.

Donovan joined Leverkusen at the age of 16, but struggled to impress under former coaches Christoph Daum and Berti Vogts and was forced to ply his trade with the amateur team in the third division before returning to his homeland.

Next season, however, he is being tipped to replace the left-sided Ze Roberto, who is moving to Bayern Munich. Donovan, though, will have to compete with high-profile signings Jan Simak and Franca for a place in the starting line-up.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
PLZ MLS cant hold on to DONOVAN

the fact is after a run like this..most US players will be shipped round the globe to teams that want em

happenes to all the teams...croatia in 98, eventhough most of our guys were playing round the world.

DONOVAN IN THE BUNDESLIGA will only improve him, as Bayer are great and need him with Kirsten retiring

Lav

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
El Mundo Deportivo reports that Barcelona is in for John O'Brien, Louis van Gaal is said to be very charmed of the versatile Ajax player.

I dunno about you guys, but I think he should stay and gain some experience at Ajax, he just became a starter last season. I think he should play a whole season as a starter and then we'll see.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think any American that is already esablished at a good team should stay put. It would be so awesome to see Johnny O and barca , but I dont think he would see that much of the field. But hey if they offer a starting 11 spot it would be hard to say no to barca

As for having all of our players shipped around. One side of me wants to see that , but the other does not want to see that. Right now is the most important time for MLS for obvious reasons.But i do think that a handful of guys will jump abroad almost immediately.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would hate to see some of the guys staying in MLS. It really bothers me that Wolff signed that new deal. He can't get any better in MLS. When these guys leave, new players will move up and take their place. MLS should send off their younger players, when ready, to get more experience.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that Wollf signed such a long contract so that the transfer fee would have to be rqaised in order to buy him. I think that was pure strategy on MLS's part they know that they are going to lose wolff soon.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Screw all those Euro-Snob F###iing teams. If Landon could only sit on the bench for your punks and Keller can't start, and Frankie can't control the ball, just F### you!

I Hope the sugar daddys of the MLS keep as many of these guys home as possible. Maybe that sissy Klose or French-German Neuvel or whatever his name, can get one with the Metro stars or some one and ride the pine. Jankers Who?

Maybe Figo can find an MLS team that needs a slick tricky pretty boy forward for the second half of the games! F' em I say!

Can you tell how I feel about this? BUT, if we let any Germans play in the MLS, I hope we tell them it's a tough league and they can't fall over just because somebody runs close to them! The WUSA would be good for some of these sissys.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry, in the previous post, I got carried away and didn't make an exception for the Dutch! FC Breda and AJAX deserve credit, praise and appreciation and FRIENDSHIP for the way they have worked with JOB and Earnie Stewart. Both have become great hardworking SMART journeyman footballers.

Let's pull for the Orange in the next Euro and wish the best to these two clubs who have taken a couple of Americans in and welcomed them with open arms.

But to H### with the rest of the over-rated Euros!

Oldplayer

·
Registered
401 Posts
MLS is crap and will continue to be if it stays in its current form. BTW I don't mean all the MLS players are crap, I just mean the ones on the National team cannot improve any more if they stay put. also, when players go to Europe they should only go to a team where they will get a chance. In the past American players didn't have many options, but it seems things are starting to change. The players have to be smart about their decisions.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Oldplayer said:
Screw all those Euro-Snob F###iing teams. If Landon could only sit on the bench for your punks and Keller can't start, and Frankie can't control the ball, just F### you!

I Hope the sugar daddys of the MLS keep as many of these guys home as possible. Maybe that sissy Klose or French-German Neuvel or whatever his name, can get one with the Metro stars or some one and ride the pine. Jankers Who?

Maybe Figo can find an MLS team that needs a slick tricky pretty boy forward for the second half of the games! F' em I say!

Can you tell how I feel about this? BUT, if we let any Germans play in the MLS, I hope we tell them it's a tough league and they can't fall over just because somebody runs close to them! The WUSA would be good for some of these sissys.

Oldplayer
Soory man but this is pure ****

u sound like one of those bigsooccer bigots

Germans falling over all game...nope i didnt see that.

And Neuville is a classy striker just look at his Champs leauge goal vs Man U.
I think u are really pathetic if u feel asthou the MLS is a strong leauge that can help these guys in the long run. Fact is MLS is a feeder league players play in and then once they are half decent they can leave for better facilities and better clubs.

DOnt be foolish by wanting to hold baack your best players cause u are bitter over a loss.

Lav

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Are u kidding me man

so what Some teams crashed out, big deal

"**** HAPPENS"

Look at it this way.

France- Every player in the French team played 60 plus games this year, some even fisinished their season 2 weeks before the WC began. Half their team had niggling injuries.

Italy got screwed and even Blatter admitted it.

England, well i hate em, but hey they lost to the best.

Croatia, well only themselves to blame and JOZIC :fero:

Ireland- made second round,lost on PK's to Spain

Spain- Beat Ireland, in the last 8

Belgium- Made second round los tto brazil, had a perfect goal ruled out

Portugal- Only themselves to blame and thier coach, who played an injured FIGO

Germany- in the last 4

Turkey- In the last 8

Poland- Beat the US 3-1, lost to Portugal

Denamark- Made the second round, lost to a EURO team

Slovenia- Newbies to the cup, have a poor squad, should not of made it

Russia- collapsed under pressure

Sweden- Beat the great argies, lost unluckily to a great SENEGAL

All in all considering that most european team had called on players who were dead tired after season in which most of the guys played 60+ games
Had NO REST before the cup, a good showing by the europeans.

sure some dissapointments but hey like i said before

**** HAPPENS

EUROPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lav

better than the south americans

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh yeah, Lav. That was a real classy dive Neuville took in the wall when Reyna (of all people) stood next to him and he flopped like a two bit whore. What a putz. That was a 10 for the dive, but only a 1.2 for the level of difficulty!

Sorry, Lav. No offense, And I'm stopping this because it's getting too personal and you've been a good poster, not like those bigsoccer wonks. It's just that I really do detect a longstanding anti-American strain in the Euro sonbs and today is just not a very good day to be going there! :cool:

Oldplayer

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Oldplayer said:
Oh yeah, Lav. That was a real classy dive Neuville took in the wall when Reyna (of all people) stood next to him and he flopped like a two bit whore. What a putz. That was a 10 for the dive, but only a 1.2 for the level of difficulty!

Sorry, Lav. No offense, And I'm stopping this because it's getting too personal and you've been a good poster, not like those bigsoccer wonks. It's just that I really do detect a longstanding anti-American strain in the Euro sonbs and today is just not a very good day to be going there! :cool:

Oldplayer
Wait are u taking obut the guy who fell over and then Reyna got a yellow

that wasnt Neuville but JENS JEREMIES

Lav

·
Registered
64 Posts
refering to a post from awhile back...

you can improve in the MLS... Do you think Clint Mathis didnt improve? Josh Wolff?
Truth is every player that plays in the MLS improves, how else do you explain the new interest in US players? Its amazing how some trash the MLS when its probably the greatest thing to ever happen to US soccer. Give the MLS at least some credit for where we have come in 4 years
Look at the starting lineups for the Nats in the WC games and you will see that a majority of the players either are still playing in the MLS or have played there. Cut the league some slack... it has grown, and with the US' success in the WC is should grow that much more.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: refering to a post from awhile back...

SCgoalkeeper said:
you can improve in the MLS... Do you think Clint Mathis didnt improve? Josh Wolff?
Truth is every player that plays in the MLS improves, how else do you explain the new interest in US players? Its amazing how some trash the MLS when its probably the greatest thing to ever happen to US soccer. Give the MLS at least some credit for where we have come in 4 years
Look at the starting lineups for the Nats in the WC games and you will see that a majority of the players either are still playing in the MLS or have played there. Cut the league some slack... it has grown, and with the US' success in the WC is should grow that much more.
I'll second that! :)

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Oldplayer said:
Sorry, in the previous post, I got carried away and didn't make an exception for the Dutch! FC Breda and AJAX deserve credit, praise and appreciation and FRIENDSHIP for the way they have worked with JOB and Earnie Stewart. Both have become great hardworking SMART journeyman footballers.

Let's pull for the Orange in the next Euro and wish the best to these two clubs who have taken a couple of Americans in and welcomed them with open arms.
:proud:

just one remark: it isn't FC Breda but NAC Breda :)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts