Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If reports from Spain are to be believed, Chelsea are currently in talks with Barcelona midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme. Roman Abramovich apparently wants to sign the Argentine only to loan him to Corinthians for a season, with who the Russian is said to have ties with. Riquelme is currently on-loan with Spanish side Villarreal, and they want to make his deal a permanent one, but Barcelona president Joan Laporta could decide to do business with Deportivo La Coruna, who are also keen on Riquelme as it could facilitate a move to Barca for Alberto Luque.

So, if he goes to Corinthians then we will have Tevez, Mascherano and Riquelme playing in Brazil. I don't know how it will affect the NT's performance in WC2006 with so many Brazil-based players. But on the other hand, the three will know each other's game pretty well which might help us in WC2006.

Deportivo La Coruna might be a better option, since he will stay in Europe even though they are only doing okay in La Liga.

I would prefer for him to stay in Villarreal were he is doing great this season and if they finish were they are presently in La Liga they will make it to the CL next season.

Anyone got any thoughts of how this would go?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
i think riquelme wouldnt be suited to the english game, no doubt he is a quality player but the epl may be a bit too fast paced for him, i could be wrong though

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can't see it happening. As the poster above pointed out, he is not suited to the style of English football.

I could see a move to Depor materialise, however?

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Rumors...only rumours ...they sell papers and fans illusions !!!!!! :veiled:

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
I can't see it happening. As the poster above pointed out, he is not suited to the style of English football.

I could see a move to Depor materialise, however?
It depends, if the team he falls decide to play with ball possession, and players for that, he can grab the Premier easily, remember every game of him against Newcastle, Celtic, and so on and they had lots of problems to control him...of course if he plays with a team that can't make three consecutive passes he will fail, mainly because he will receive few balls.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
We'll move him for a quality CB. If he goes to Depor, Andrade better be involved.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Veron problem was to accept a def mid role like Beckham did/does in Madrid, plus at the minor injury he take himself out of the team, specially in Chelsea were the games he played was really good. He even being a false playmaker, a really great off mid (old 8), or at much an organizative 5, CAN'T be just a role player, but many sacred cows were already there, and sincerely from Scholes to Beckham, what other characteristic he was adding?, and in the pure def department he can't slightly compete with even an aging Keane...

Veron was a buy "a la Real Madrid", buying a player just for his name, and not for his characteristics, and like rEal they just thrwo him to the pitch, he in some way also was calm and accept to play everywhere, and he can't play everywhere.
Somann, how many players are better than Veron in long balls anyway?

To al this bad coctail add that he didn't went only for the money, he virtually RAN from justice, as far as he can't get.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Riquelme would fit in at Chelsea because they don't really play a typical English game, the only thing i see is wrong is that he would have to take Lampard's position and Lampard is a fans favourite.

also i think Mourinho would see Riquelme as a luxury player, he has the mentality that all players have to track back and run all game.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Waste of time Fangio mate! The mentality in Britain is to play it fast, and get the ball up the park fast. It'll never change sadly... it's just the way the game is played here. If it was up to me, it would be different :(

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
It will be bad idea to go there, I was thinking good things to happen for Veron and Crespo but it proved not.

I would like to see him in Italy with Milan, Inter or Juve... if not, please stay in Spain for the good for him and our NT.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Delantero said:
Waste of time Fangio mate! The mentality in Britain is to play it fast, and get the ball up the park fast. It'll never change sadly... it's just the way the game is played here. If it was up to me, it would be different :(

Chelsea are the exception, apart from they sometimes use the long ball, they can come backwards and forwards a lot compared to the rest of the EPL.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
forget it.... chelsea already have lampard its not gonna happen roman will stay in spain .. plus he gets to pick which team he wants to go to .. he said in an interview he picks where he plays thats in his contract

·
Registered
699 Posts
Fangio said:
Veron problem was to accept a def mid role like Beckham did/does in Madrid, plus at the minor injury he take himself out of the team, specially in Chelsea were the games he played was really good. He even being a false playmaker, a really great off mid (old 8), or at much an organizative 5, CAN'T be just a role player, but many sacred cows were already there, and sincerely from Scholes to Beckham, what other characteristic he was adding?, and in the pure def department he can't slightly compete with even an aging Keane...

Veron was a buy "a la Real Madrid", buying a player just for his name, and not for his characteristics, and like rEal they just thrwo him to the pitch, he in some way also was calm and accept to play everywhere, and he can't play everywhere.
Somann, how many players are better than Veron in long balls anyway?

To al this bad coctail add that he didn't went only for the money, he virtually RAN from justice, as far as he can't get.
Certainly not complaining about the quality of his long balls.......but he just overdoes these days....but again i've been watching Inter play and he's getting back to his old ways.....moving all over the pitch and I am happy seeing that.........afterall Veron is one of my all time favourites(but based purely on his time in Italy...especially Sampdoria and Parma)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts