Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday 25 March, 2005
Manuel Rui Costa is on the verge of extending his contract with Milan, according to reports.

The Portuguese ace was expected to return to his homeland in the summer but now looks likely to end his career at the San Siro.

The former Benfica ace, who will be 33 next Tuesday, is set to sign a new deal keeping him in Milan until 2007.

Rui Costa will also take a 20 per cent cut in wages in order to remain with the Italian champions.

The midfielder is no longer a first-team regular at the club but says he and Milan are ready to compete on all fronts after the short Easter break.

"We are all prepared to fight to the end in the League and the Champions’ League," he stated.

"It’s a case of taking one game at a time but I believe we have a much better side than two years ago when we won the European Cup.

"The next game against Brescia is important," he added "It will motivate us to finish the jobs we have started. This could be a very positive season."

-----------
What's your thought?
I hoep this is not true. I appreciate his contribition. But even after 20% pay cut, his wage is still huge. I remember he is earning something about 4M euros after tax. It's way too much for a bench player. Plus he is old and won't get any better. IMO we should release him and sign others.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can understand why we extend contratc with Stam, San Paolo because they are still instrumental to our defense. Stam easily has at least two good years left. I also understand why we keep Inzaghi as it's sort of reward to his great contribution to our #6 euro champion trophy. :thumbsup:

But I don't understand why we extended contract of Pancaro? Come on, he has been crap this season. :thmbdown: We have Kaladze and almost certainly Jankulovski to cover LB position, both are younger and better. Why do we keep him? And now, come on, Rui ? No disrespect to him, but IMO it's simply not worth it to pay such a huge wage ( about 3.2M euro) to an old bench player. :stuckup:

I seriously hope this is not true. :frownani:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
20% pay cut he's going to take

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terak said:
20% pay cut he's going to take
I know, but even after that, his wage is still huge.
He is earning 4M euro now.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
i reckon rui should stay look how well he played against man u .

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terak said:
i reckon rui should stay look how well he played against man u .
He did pretty good in that match. But is it worth 3.2M euro for a bench player who probabl only plays <10 games a season?

Plus, he is already 33 yrs old. He will be 35 ys in 2007. Attacking players are not like defenders, they don't usually last that long.

I reckon he should leave. We can do better with the money. Take a look at Pizarro (25yrs old), he was priced at 10M euro, experienced serie A player. why shouldn't we sign him instead? He can play in Rui's position and Pirlo's position too.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
It's hard decision for Milan board...Rui is part of the devilhood :devil: , he's instrumental in the #6 just like Pippo :devil: :stuckup:... but his performance has been in downward sloping since his first season here... :rolleyes:

If I were Galliani, I'd persuade Rui to have a 40%-50% wage cut when presenting the contract offer. If the Portuguese rejects, then IMO we should release him in summer, and look at Pizzaro, EMRE or even Rosicky(given the financial situation in Dortmund we can get him cheap :shades: ). These players may require abt 10M fee but they have at least 7 to 8 golden years ahead of them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, who has seen this guy Hugo Viana play? There is a rumor that Milan are bidding on him as an understudy of Pirlo. How good is he? What's his style? A creative center midfield? I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i've heard that too and maybe they want rui to help him settle. who knows but if we can afford it why not.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I dont want to be bashing other players but If I'm not wrong , kaka hasnt had a good season either. No way Milan is gonna sell him.

Look , Rui Costa is one of the big reasons to win the 6th CL , If we were Madrid , offcourse we would sell him like they do to all their players. But that's not what Milan is about.

Rui Costa gives something to the team on his own way , I really hope he will stay. I also agree a wage cut. But plz dont sell him .

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Genjuro said:
BTW, who has seen this guy Hugo Viana play? There is a rumor that Milan are bidding on him as an understudy of Pirlo. How good is he? What's his style? A creative center midfield? I'm curious.
he's classy, he was useless in England but for Sporting he looks classy.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Elephant King said:
It's hard decision for Milan board...Rui is part of the devilhood :devil: , he's instrumental in the #6 just like Pippo :devil: :stuckup:... but his performance has been in downward sloping since his first season here... :rolleyes:

If I were Galliani, I'd persuade Rui to have a 40%-50% wage cut when presenting the contract offer.
The King has spoken :stuckup:

Zio Fester will be looking upon this post :stuckup:

P.S. May I add that Rui Costa is just coming of age for a proper Milan squad player ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KyleLeonard said:
Genjuro said:
But I don't understand why we extended contract of Pancaro?

Pancaro is a good stand in player :thmbup: i like Pancaro :D
To be fair, he was doing great last season. :thmbup:
But based on this season performance, I should have nominated him in the "The Lunatic at your club" thread. :angel:

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Commercially, it does not make much business sense to keep a bench player earning 3.2 million Euro annually, especially for a 33 year old bench player. I wouldn't mind Milan extending Rui's contract if he's willing to accept a 50% pay cut though :veiled: Mind you with a 50% pay cut Rui Costa is still earning a whopping 2 million Euro sitting on the bench :eekani:

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
He hasn't been sitting on the bench recently, though. In fact, he's played very well in Ancelotti's favorite formation. :stuckup: If it weren't for Berlusconi, he would probably be playing a lot more.

OK, I admit it, I have a soft spot for him. As long as Milan are willing to keep him and he's willing to stay without making a fuss about being on the bench, I won't complain.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Can't blame the mgmt for putting a foot wrong in the past 3 seasons even though at the designated time it seemed rash on our part for not spending or purchasing old players. In Milan we trust. :stuckup:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Elephant King said:
but his performance has been in downward sloping since his first season here... :rolleyes:

nonsense his first season here was his worst in his professional career

so much of the team doing well is team spirit and morale, and keeping rui is clearly crucial to that.

team managment of morale is the most important factor for a coach, and the hardest, thats why only certain personalitys are brought in, the management has learned what a happy lockerroom can do

1 - 20 of 41 Posts