Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rui cried for Fiorentina Sunday 27 January, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan have confirmed reports that Manuel Rui Costa was in tears during his trip to former club Fiorentina last week. However, the player denies that homesickness is the root of his poor form.

“I cannot understand why I am continually talked about in these terms,” snapped the playmaker on Milan Channel. “I did nothing to offend anyone and this whole affair is very irritating. I don’t wish to act as a victim but it has gone too far.”

“Unfortunately,” added the ex-Viola captain, “someone is mixing my sentiments and emotional state with my form on the field. I am certain that if everything had gone well from the start of the season my reaction to seeing the Artemio Franchi Stadium would not have been blown up like this.”

“There is a stereotype,” noted Rui Costa, “that football players have no emotional attachment to teams or places. This week I discovered that certain journalists are closer to that caricature than me.”

The Number 10 was unable to play against his former teammates due to an ankle injury but his reaction nonetheless prompted claims he would prefer to be back in the Viola jersey.

“I walked up to the end where the Fiorentina fans sit in order to thank them and the city that for seven years gave me everything I could ever want. It was a spontaneous gesture of thanks. A sign of respect towards Florence, not disrespect for Milan.”

Rui Costa spent seven years at the club and admitted that when financial problems forced his sale to Milan this summer, “I felt physically sick at the very thought of leaving.” The £27m signing has not lived up to expectations since that move among a catalogue of injuries and uninspiring performances.

“I shall try to come back into the team as soon as possible to help out by teammates,” explained the Portuguese international, “and pay back Milan for their faith in me. I am the one who is most upset at my performances so far. I am convinced that I can become very important for this squad.”

Carlo Ancelotti also defended his reaction. “It’s only normal. When I returned to the Stadio Olimpico wearing a Milan jersey instead of Roma I was also moved. It is not a lack of respect for the current club,” assured the Coach. “The only ones lacking in sensitivity here are the press who made a point of it on the front pages.”

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
breaking news....

He always said he loved florence it's viola fans and he just had to leave beacause of money the viola needed and for him was to bigger and better things witch I havent seen yet,but I am sure he misses the viola but his new life is with Milan and I now have herd from a portuguese source are you ready for this Nuno Gomes to ACMilan maybe next summer,to me looks like Sheva is on his way out to be sold,Inzagui is hurt at the moment and ACM just got Javi Moreno so the Milan club are set to be intrested in Nuno Gomes another portuguese player from the viola on his way out.

·
6,645 Posts
He's more of a hero than Batistuta ever will be in my eyes. Sure, Batistuta like Fiorentina, but Rui LOVES Fiorentina! And Batistuta's strange desire to win has always made me lose some respect for him. He won a scudetto with a team he didn't give a rats ass about. That's....just stupid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts