Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
from Soccer365.com

AC Milan midfielder Rui Costa is promising to produce more magic during his second campaign at San Siro. The criticized Portugal star was beset with injuries and inconsistency last season.

"Milan haven't seen the real Rui Costa yet," he declared. "I'll be like a new signing next year.”

"I've been massacred by injuries - Just ask the doctors and they will confirm it,” added the £27 million man. “Next season, Milan don't need a revolution, we just need to be a bit more lucky and avoid injuries to key players."

Rui Costa was also quick to applaud the acquisitions of Holland international Clarence Seedorf and Denmark World Cup marksman Jon Dahl Tomasson.

"Clarence is a great player and I also want to give my congratulations to Milan's directors for signing Tomasson - They were both intelligent deals,” he said.

The fancy attacker went on to express hope that Il Rossoneri could hook Lazio defender Alessandro Nesta as well.

”As for Nesta, he's a great talent and would be a top signing,” he estimated. "There are a lot of teams looking at him, but sometimes our president Silvio Berlusconi is able to surprise everybody.”

”He did that last year by signing me and it could happen again."

At some point the question between Pirlo and Costa must be answered. A healthy Costa is second to none, but Pirlo delivered last year and Rui didn't. A tough one.

G

·
Taking vows is one thing, furfilling them is quite another. Rui Costa apart from a few brief flashes of brilliance in the odd match has been disappointing both last season and during the World Cup. Milan should assess who starts between Pirlo and Rui Costa on their relative merits and their current form. And on the latter point i think Pirlo should get the nod for a starting place.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Well he can talk bout it all he wants.....but till i see him return to firoe form...its PIRLO ALL THE WAY!

Lav

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I happen to agree, but I am a huge Costa fan so I still have this burning desire to see a healthy Rui playing for my favorite team.

If Milan go with Pirlo, then Rui gets sold immediately. He's too expensive to sit. And it's for that reason that I believe he'll be starting for Milan and Pirlo will either be sitting or playing the left wing role he played a bit last year.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Rui costa will play better this season barring any injury set backs? He was not crap at the world cup , he was actually one of the few players who did a good job for Portugal while he was in . If he repeatedly gets injured as he did last year , it's time for him to go to another less physical league?

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps. He seemed to have a lot of muscle problems which leads me to question his fitness.

I think Rui would do very well in the EPL as he as a quick passing game, great vision and can play the open fast paced game. Spain would be a good choice for similar reasons.

I think he does just fine in Italy as his record shows, but he needs to come in with a fresh mind and body. I would love nothing more than to see him shine.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Dae said:

If Milan go with Pirlo, then Rui gets sold immediately. He's too expensive to sit. And it's for that reason that I believe he'll be starting for Milan and Pirlo will either be sitting or playing the left wing role he played a bit last year.
Pirlo and costa in the same team, playing together.:eekani: :rollani: , Ancellotti will kill you for those thoughts. He would rather die than let both play together.:sob: ;) .

Ciao

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Dae said:

I think Rui would do very well in the EPL as he as a quick passing game, great vision and can play the open fast paced game. Spain would be a good choice for similar reasons.

I agree. I think Italy has a more aggresive game that tends to hinder creative play. So a move to the EPL or La Liga would benefit him greatly IMO.

That said, I don't want him to leave Serie A. I love watching Serie A and we have some coverage in Canada.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
milano77 said:

Pirlo and costa in the same team, playing together.:eekani: :rollani: , Ancellotti will kill you for those thoughts. He would rather die than let both play together.:sob: ;) .

Ciao

Very true, but he played Serginho and Rui together and that is about the same thing.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Dae said:

Very true, but he played Serginho and Rui together and that is about the same thing.
But Serginho is no Pirlo, I mean he is not a playmaker which Pirlo is. Pirlo is a player who is more similar to Costa than Serginho. Therefore my conclusion that Carlo is not going to put Pirlo and Costa in the same team, unless there is some emergency.:eek:

We all know the tactics of Carlo, and its a safe bet to say that Pirlo-Costa won't happen in normal circumstances.

Ciao

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I meant the same or similar in that they are both totally offensive players on the left wing. Yes, Pirlo is a playmaker, but he played left wing when Milan lined up in the 4-4-2 a few times.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Dae said:
I meant the same or similar in that they are both totally offensive players on the left wing. Yes, Pirlo is a playmaker, but he played left wing when Milan lined up in the 4-4-2 a few times.
Never mind How much U or Myself or others want this to happen, It is highly unprobable as long as carlo is the manager.:depress:

I understand What u meant as playing Pirlo as a winger. But he played in that position when both Rui and Serginho (If I am not wrong) were absent through injuries. i.e another extreme circumstances.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, don't believe for a second that I actually thought Carlo would line them both up together. I just threw it out there as a remote possibility. :)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Dae said:
Hey, don't believe for a second that I actually thought Carlo would line them both up together. I just threw it out there as a remote possibility. :)
I will second u on that, never mind the remoteness of the possibility. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts