Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After his huge transfer from Fiorentina in 2001 so much was expected from the Portugese star.But has he really delivered and brought his old form of Fiorenina with him to Milan?Can his time at Milan be called a success or a failure also?Personally aside from the last couple of seasons where Kaka has taken over in Rui's role,I have thought that Rui Costa has been rather dissapointing since joining us and never did enough to justify his huge transfer fee. :thmbdown:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
success

honestly, how someone can call rui costa a failure at milan is totally beyond me. the guy is still our best playmaker, i still dream of the christmas tree (if only silvio would agree :sigh: ). it is not his fault that carlo plays him quite seldomly.

the goalscoring argument is just nonsense to me. i doesn't matter who scores the goals and when rui plays all the strikers just look so much better.

Grande :star:Rui Costa :star:
Forza Maestro

Attachments

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helcifer said:
I'll say it again.. if only Rui Costa can score goals, I will take him over Kaka.
I'd still take Kaka,the frustrating thing with RC is that even as more of a regular he never scored enough unlike his days at Fiorentina. :irritate:

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
I wouldnt call him a failure, but I dont think he quite lived up to the expectations we had when he was bought. He has however helped us to trophies and despite a lack of goals, he has graced us with some of his magic. I dont regret Milan buying him at all.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
If you put "$28 million signing" in hte equation, then I suppose he is a failure. For that fee he should have been playing every week and scoring at least 7 goals a year. He has never been a goal scoring machine. He is more a true playmaker. That said, he has been a solid contributor and at times our best playmaking midfielder. In that context, he has been very helpful and successful. But given teh expectations of four years ago, I think it is hard to call Rui Costa, role player, a resounding success.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,801 Posts
Well, he can't be called a very good signing because we spent huge on him but he played as a starter for only 2 seasons. Yet there's no denying of the fact that he was one of the key players in our CL win, so he certainly wasn't a failure too.

Too bad that his finishing was on the level of a Serie D defender, otherwise he would probably still be in the starting eleven.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Andy Christ said:

Too bad that his finishing was on the level of a Serie D defender, otherwise he would probably still be in the starting eleven.

Rui is a brilliant finisher from 30 yards. ;) He has a cannon outside the box shot. But no, he is not a playmaker in the mold of Totti or even Zidane who score goals with more frequency. He is more a central midfield playmaker, setting the pace and distributing and making through passes. Maybe a Pirlo but 20 yards farther up field. Maybe something like Veron when he was allowed to quarterback the offense with Parma and LAzio.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,801 Posts
Dae said:
Rui is a brilliant finisher from 30 yards. ;) He has a cannon outside the box shot. But no, he is not a playmaker in the mold of Totti or even Zidane who score goals with more frequency. He is more a central midfield playmaker, setting the pace and distributing and making through passes. Maybe a Pirlo but 20 yards farther up field. Maybe something like Veron when he was allowed to quarterback the offense with Parma and LAzio.
Actually he was a decent goalscorer when he was in Fiorentina. At least as good as Zidane. I don't know what happened with his goalscoring skill in here.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Like I said earlier, Rui should have been scoring seven or eight goals a year to be called a real success with Milan. I agree that his scoring disappeared, but I was just pointing out he has never been what you'd call a scorer.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Honestly, was he bought to score or distribute the ball? I can assume the braintrust understood what they were paying all that money for, and it wasn't so he'd be a scoring machine. Didn't we win a scudetto and a CL Championship when he was on the team? By all, except maybe cheater's logic, that is a good result and return on the investment. Plus, unlike a lot of high-paid players, he never disrupted the team when he was sat down and didn't start. I'd vote success, but then I have loose standards I suppose.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
he is welcome to come back anytime :lick:

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
In my book he was a better player when he was at Fiorentina, but without him, there wouldn´t have been a number 6.
I feel honored to have witnessed such a skillfull and loyal player play for us. That is realy a rare thing. Had he been playing in any other team he would have been a starter.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Heather said:
Honestly, was he bought to score or distribute the ball? I can assume the braintrust understood what they were paying all that money for, and it wasn't so he'd be a scoring machine. Didn't we win a scudetto and a CL Championship when he was on the team? By all, except maybe cheater's logic, that is a good result and return on the investment. Plus, unlike a lot of high-paid players, he never disrupted the team when he was sat down and didn't start. I'd vote success, but then I have loose standards I suppose.

Yes, we won a CL and scudetto when he was on the team, but then so was Marco Boriello . ;) :D

Again, he was successful, but given the price and the reason he was purchased (to be our playmaker) he has not really given the full goods. His first season, he simply stunk. After that, he found his game again and was more a victim and squad choice and being a second of third option for Ancelotti; not exactly his fault.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hitmannq8 said:
The only failure i see here is you for opening this topic
The sad fact is that you're a born loser disowned by your own parents. :rolleyes: :doh: :finger:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Rui Costa wants Milan answers Friday 21 April, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manuel Rui Costa has told Milan to underline their faith in his abilities or allow him to join another club.

The Portuguese ace is growing frustrated with his bench role at the San Siro as Brazilian ace Kaka continues to be handed the fantasista shirt.

Now he’s urged the outfit to make their intentions clear regarding his status at the club after another campaign in the shadows at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.

“I have great faith in myself and I’m convinced that I can help Milan,” he said. “However, [boss Carlo] Ancelotti and [chief Adriano] Galliani need to be sure too.

“I still have one year left on my contract and I want to know whether they still believe in me at this club.

“I don’t like the sensation of being a burden or a player who people don’t rate. That’s why I left the national side.

“If the team don’t have faith in me then I think it is only right that I consider another solution for myself.

“There are two roads to go down. If I no longer think I’m up to it then I’ll quit. Otherwise I would like to return to either Benfica or Fiorentina.”

The classy playmaker hit the headlines in his home country while at Benfica where he caught the eye of the Viola.

He joined Milan in 2001 after the Tuscan club tried to clear rising debts.

channel4

1 - 20 of 51 Posts