Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By PA Sport Staff

Atalanta president Ivan Ruggeri believes his star midfielder Cristiano Doni is good enough to give a few tips to France's World Cup-winning playmaker Zinedine Zidane.

"He is a player like Zidane, but in my opinion he is stronger than the Frenchman," Ruggeri told the Italian press.

Doni joined Atalanta in 1998 from Brescia and the 29-year-old midfielder is in the goalscoring form of his life with 16 in 27 games this campaign.

"They Doni and Zidane have the same class but Doni is prepared to give more of himself," added Ruggeri.

"Whoever gets him will do a good deal, if he went to a foreign club it would be a crime for Italian football."

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
seriously glen doni has so much abilty u cant say what he is saying is totaly untrue...i see little difference between zidanre and doni apart from fame

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Indeed I can... with no reservations whatsoever.

Doni is GREAT, and I'm thrilled Juve has been made media favourites for his signature. We dearly need his creative qualities in midfield.

That being said. A quarts bracelet may look punkin pie, but it ain't no diamond.
Doni has had an absolutely amazing season, but he is 29, and had he been this much of a player- he wouldn't have been a nobody until last season. That is in fact what he has been.
Let's not take anything away from Doni here. He is clearly great, but many players have been awesome for one season, at a small club, and done NOTHING when they should make it big at a big team. We have a Fiore who was onto something similar at Udine (for the first part of the season at least), and utterly failed to make an impact at Lazio. Your own favourites I believe- Domenico Morfeo was a counterattacking GOD at Atalanta last season and most of the time when this year at Viola when he has been ready.
When he was at Milan however, or the first spell at Viola when he had alot of pressure and competition... nothing.

Zidane has been making it big on the biggest stages, and in the biggest teams possible- for years on end, consistently.

I adore Doni, but making this comparison is as unfair to Doni, as it's laughable for Zidane.

If Doni reproduces this kind of form at Juve or elsewhere next season + makes an impact with Italy this Summer... let's at least debate it.
Now it's... a non-topic. Really. You gotta agree with that.

Ciao.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Glen is 100% correct with his statements. It is a little silly even mentioning bith players in the same sentence.

but then again, Pirri's opinion is always right judging by other posts he has made :tongue:

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
this was a long shot CUG i know doni isnt quite as good as zidane but he isnt far off..btw im not wrong about much dude..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Doni is good, but he can't be compared to Zizou, that's like comparing Inter with Milan :D

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
pirri, you make me laugh...not wrong about much dude...good one.

Artur's comment was great as well......gottaa love humour

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
I think you should move this topic to the "Humor forum" (in "away from soccer").

If Doni was 18...why not; but, as they have got the same age, it is nonsense.

Zizou achieved nearly everything (the champions league is the only cup missing, but not for any longer....). What has Doni achieved? except the tremendous love from his coach....

·
Registered
268 Posts
hypno said:
I think you should move this topic to the "Humor forum" (in "away from soccer").

If Doni was 18...why not; but, as they have got the same age, it is nonsense.

Zizou achieved nearly everything (the champions league is the only cup missing, but not for any longer....). What has Doni achieved? except the tremendous love from his coach....
Myself, I don't really care who is better even if Zizou has clearly proved that he is. All I care is that Italy meets France once again and defeats them. The frenchmen big heads are going to shrink a little. You know what's even more funny then the Doni to Zinedane comparison. It's the claims that Barthez is the best goalkeeper in Europe. What a joke that is. I would call him the luckiest goal keeper in Europe and the game today. He belongs at Manchester, fits right in :D

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
You are right; Barthez might not be the best goalkeeper in europe, Franck Leboeuf is bigheaded ( he is the only one really bigheaded).

Our defense line has weakened ('till it has to be proven on the field) and Italy's defense is the one of the best if not the best in the world.

But our attack line, as our midfield, is frightening!!!

France beat you twice lately in 2 important tournaments ; you can win of course but if we meet again and we win our 3rd match...you might no have many things to add.

·
Registered
46,333 Posts
France is the last team I would like to meet (Argentina the second-last). I think that Doni is a really good player but I think that he is FAAAAAAR from Zizou. No comparison in technic and intelligence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts