Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01/24/2004. Flamengo's General Director, Leo Junior, has stated that his Brazilian club will soon be signing Ruben Olivera from Juventus.

The Uruguay forward plays with the bianconeri's youth team and has not found much space amongst the first team during these past 2 seasons.

Junior said he already spoke with the player and the final step is to start the negotiation with the Italian club.

"I already spoke with Olivera on his return to Uruguat after he player with his national team for the Olimpic qualifications and he gave me his willingness to come," said Junior. "All I have to do now is speak with the Juventus executives, but I don't think there will be any problems. By tomorrow everything will be done and Ruben will come to us and play as an attacker."
SA Europe

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think this will be great. But I want Ruben to play his natural position as "El Enganche", and not as a straight out forward.

Juventus has warped his growth, 2 years ago, he was something special, and so far he is just another one of those players that hasn't broke out yet.

I really do think it is because he is Uruguayin. If he was Brasilian, or an Argie, he would have got alot more chances with Juve.

Well now I just want him to go to Flamengo right away, and start playing on a weekly basis, so he can get into form.

I think the world of Liguera, but he has fallen off form, ever since he left Fenix. Mallorca has just dropped him, so maybe he can come back to Uruguay and play and get his form back, but if Ruben is on form, I think he will be better.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hmm...hopefully he can get a position there, because no doubt a team like Flamengo would have a heap of talent to work with.

But still better than a rot in Juve

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
This is a great move for him and he will play as enganche.. if Flamengo have the money to buy him and offer him a contract no doubt they will get the best out of him.. He will shortly be back in form and in Europe in no time.. Juve are going to regret ever letting him go..

And i'm hoping that Liguera will stay in Europe.. There are a few Italian teams after him so he will most likely go to them.. Most likely the clubs after him are bottom of the table but that's where he needs to be right now.. in order for him to get his form back...Some clubs that i think maybe after him.. Siena? or Samp? Reggina, Peruggia, Brescia (because Baggio is retiring at the end of the season)?? or even Lecce ?? They like Uruguayans.. Let's hope he plays..

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ivan Alonso To Be Transfered

Liguera's agent said that the most interest in him is from Italy.

I would love for him to go to Lecce. If Lecce were to get him, he could really feed Cheva some goals, and they would survive relegation surely. Liguera is exactly the type of player they need. But they also need some better defenders.

Also, Giamocozzi should be back soon, its been months since he had his appendix removed, but I havent heard anything from him he could really help Lecce also.

Also Ivan Alonso should be leaving Alaves before January.
Portsmouth in England have been looking in to him. There coach is flying to Spain, to check him out personally. Also Reggina have inquired for him.

I'd rather him go to England, Reggina are fighting with Lecce for survival, and I'd rather Lecce survive.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Just to clarify - if it goes through, this deal will be just a loan. Olivera will still be a Juventus player, and the bianconeri will even pay his wages while he's at Flamengo. Flamengo needs quality forwards and Juve wants Olivera playing regularly, so it's a good deal all around IMHO. :smileani:

One question, though... looking at Flamengo's squad, I believe they want to use him as a support forward. I take it from your comments that it's not where he plays best?
:confused:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When he was with Danubio, which was also when he made his name, I believe he played as " El Enganche" which means the link between the midfield and the forwards. Much like Nedved plays with Juve, Kaka with Milan, and so on.

This is his natural position. However with Juve & the NT team he has been shifted from left to right midfield, and from left to right support striker.

He is at his best when he is behind the forwards.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
He a mini Recoba.. they both come from the same place, both trained and grew as players in the same pitch.. He is an "enganche", plays behind the forwards.. Thats where they both do their magic.. although if the coach needs them to play up top they will not decline, it is the easiest thing for an enganche to move up to play forwars.. But these kind of players like to show off and give the people a show..:tongue: I hope they don't play him as a forward.. And for midfield.. he doesn't really play on the sides.. If he absolutely has to, then like every player they will help out their coach and play the left, but i have never seen him play on the right?? :confused: If on the squad sheet he is written on the left it usually means that he is moving up behind the strikers.. but let's hope they use him where he is more useful and he keeps on getting called up for the NT.. BTW is Flamengo in the Copa Libertadores??

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Mathias04 said:
... BTW is Flamengo in the Copa Libertadores??
No, but they will play the 'Sulamericana' in the 2nd semester. They're currently rebuilding their squad. Flamengo's top players include Julio Cesar, a keeper who has been called to the Brazilian NT for several Qualifiers' matches recently; Junior Baiano, a veteran centreback who played for Brazil in WC 1998; and Felipe, a playmaker who played for Vasco and Galatasaray. After signing several prospects from smaller Brazilian sides they turned to Olivera, who made a good impression in the pre-Olympics, to boost their attack.

After dismissing Edilson (a veteran forward who played for Brazil in WC 2002, who was fired due to unprofessional behavior) Flamengo needs some reinforcements upfront, and I suspect that's where they intend to use Olivera.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not going to start talking sh*t, I'm just gonna say wait and see what he does with Flamengo.

I really believe in the kid, becuase I have seen him play in real life, and I seen him on television, when he is on form. You have to remember he hasnt played proffesionally for almost 2 years since he went to Juve. I mean he's played games, but not consistently.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
According to today's papers the deal is off; Olivera did not want to play in Flamengo, probably because they will only have continental football in the 2nd semester.

I can't blame him... and I wish him good luck. ;)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Manya said:
That would just be great...we should make a move for him again because we already tried at the beggining of last year.
Unless he ends up with Penarol is a a phucking idiot. I havent heard any rumors of anyone else signing him, and so he would rather waste away at Juve then join Flamengo. This would have been an excellent chance for him to grow.

If better end up somewhere, and the transfer market is only a fews days away from ending.

·
Registered
742 Posts
So finally he got loaned to Atlético Madrid. I hope he does well but we'll probably see him warming the bench, again.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty sure he is going to play. I dont think its in the contract, but I read somewhere that when the deal was signed, it was made clear that Ruben would have to play, since Juve are still paying his salary.

The Torres thing was just good timing, but I would rather have Ruebn competing for the spot, than to see such a good player out of action.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts