Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Ruben Pardo play for Athletic or Euskal Selekzioa? He has come of age this season at Erreala since Illarramendi left for RM!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read at the weekend he has a 30m euros buy out clause, but that goes up to 60m euros if Athletic wanted him!!! I also read that he is from the La Rioja region so wouldn't be available for Euskal Selekzioa like Griezmann presumably!!!

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
In normal conditions he could be eligible for both.

It has to be said that the euskal selekzioa never calls players who aren't basque born (or basque lived since small kids as De Pedro, Valverde or Amorebieta). People as Aranzubia, Griezmann, David López or Ezquerro never played for the Euskal Selekzioa even though they lived for many years in Euskal Herria.

The reason is probably that it becomes a bit complicated to know where you should put the limit as EH is not an official country and therefore these players can't get the basque nationality. If the Basque NT happened to be official these players could logically be called in case they get the nationality and wanted to play.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
This btw, contrast with the catalonian nt which calls Iniesta even though he went to live to Barcelona at the age of 13.

Different approaches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I now understand how complicated it is with the Basque NT not recognised by UEFA/FIFA!! Maybe one day?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also with it being World Cup year will we be getting our chance to pick our Basque NT squad again! I have enjoyed doing it in the past???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts