Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this tournament deserves it's own little thread as well since the games soon kick off.

Group 1
Rosenborg
Brann
Odense
Helsingborg

Group 2
FC København
Brøndby
Hammarby
Lillestrøm

Group 3
Elfsborg
AIK
Vålerenga
Viborg

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FC København seem to be in an easy group assuming Hammarby lose as many players as indicated in the papers lately and Lillestrøm losing Mifsud and Koren.

Not very familiar with the strength of Odense and Helsingborg, so not sure how group 1 will turn out, but I suppose both Norwegian teams will progress from it.

Luckily, there seem to be more big teams this year than last season, so hopefully there will be some interest in the media. Will be nice to avoid things like 61 spectators at a Start game last year. I'm confident the Norwegian teams will attract crowd of several thousand at least.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Jinxter said:
Not very familiar with the strength of Odense and Helsingborg, so not sure how group 1 will turn out, but I suppose both Norwegian teams will progress from it.
OB Odense are a top 3 team in the danish league this season and their UEFA results so far this season is that they won their UEFA Intertoto Cup final against Hibernian (Sco) to qualify for the UEFA cup.

In the UEFA cup 1st round they then eliminated Hertha Berlin (2-2 away, 1-0 home) to qualify for the UEFA cup group stage, where they so far have lost 1-2 at home to Parma (Ita), but then outclassed Heerenveen (Ned), beating them 2-0 away, so I think it's fair to say that OB Odense look very strong this season. The question is however, what to expect of them in RL. No doubt they are going to think of the RL as 3rd priority behind the Superliga and UEFA cup.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah yeah, I had them mixed up with Viborg :) Should pay more attention to Danish footy I guess :D Weird they're not higher in the table if they're this strong this year. Heard Brøndby was doing horrible this season.

We'll see.. I assume they'll use reserves in the RL from what you say, but they might be keen to prove their worth.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I dont watch much nordic football(including swedish).. Of the teams in Royal League, I know only Helsingborg, Elfsborg and Copenhagen quite well at the moment.

How are Rosenborg doing these days?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rosenborg won the Norwegian league, so I guess they're doing alright. They had a lousy spring season, and an insane fall season where they won almost everything. Pretty much the opposite of Brann who had a great run in the spring, crappy in the fall.

Rosenborg isn't as strong as they were a few seasons ago, but definately among the best teams in Scandinavia.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rosenborg - Brann 1-3

The first Royal League match in group 1 was played today. Rosenborg outplayed Brann the first 10 minutes and got an early lead. Brann finally began playing football and the first half ended 1-2 after three fairly easy goals and a red card to the infamous cheat Riseth.

In the second half, Rosenborg started off well again, created a few chances, but nothing came of it. Brann just controlled the match against a reduced Rosenborg. The victory should have been greater, but Brann was very inefficient.

1-0 Storflor (4mins) A good pass back from Essediri finds Storflor all alone in the box. Nice Rosenborg move, but lousy defense by Brann.
1-1 Bjørnson (11mins) The former striker gets clear in the box and easily heads in the cornerkick.
1-2 Huseklepp (33mins) Second-goalie Lund Hansen was expecting someone to head the ball away, instead the ball went between his legs and into the goal.
1-3 Ystaas (83mins) A messed up freekick finds Ystaas on the 5m line who scores easily.

Yellow Cards:
Bakke, Vaagan Moen (Brann)
Kvarme (Rosenborg)

Red Card:
Riseth (rbk) was sent off after receiving two yellow cards, for mouthing off and shoving appearantly. The second card wasn't the most obvious one, but I'm sure he deserved it. He usually gets away with way too much of his tricks.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Jinxter said:
Rosenborg - Brann 1-3

The first Royal League match in group 1 was played today. Rosenborg outplayed Brann the first 10 minutes and got an early lead. Brann finally began playing football and the first half ended 1-2 after three fairly easy goals and a red card to the infamous cheat Riseth.

In the second half, Rosenborg started off well again, created a few chances, but nothing came of it. Brann just controlled the match against a reduced Rosenborg. The victory should have been greater, but Brann was very inefficient.

1-0 Storflor (4mins) A good pass back from Essediri finds Storflor all alone in the box. Nice Rosenborg move, but lousy defense by Brann.
1-1 Bjørnson (11mins) The former striker gets clear in the box and easily heads in the cornerkick.
1-2 Huseklepp (33mins) Second-goalie Lund Hansen was expecting someone to head the ball away, instead the ball went between his legs and into the goal.
1-3 Ystaas (83mins) A messed up freekick finds Ystaas on the 5m line who scores easily.

Yellow Cards:
Bakke, Vaagan Moen (Brann)
Kvarme (Rosenborg)

Red Card:
Riseth (rbk) was sent off after receiving two yellow cards, for mouthing off and shoving appearantly. The second card wasn't the most obvious one, but I'm sure he deserved it. He usually gets away with way too much of his tricks.
Go, Brann Bergen. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Jinxter said:
Go FC København København as well :D

Brann and FCK would be the dream final imo, hope we both make it :)
I doubt we will make the final this year, as usual a lot of youngsters will get to play. But I'm not sure that our youngsters have the same level as before, only a couple of them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Jinxter said:
We'll see.. I assume they'll use reserves in the RL from what you say, but they might be keen to prove their worth.
According to OB manager Bruce Rioch, then OB are going to rest most of the team for the Rosenborg match in RL, so that 9 new players get the chance to prove their worth. No doubt because of a tough match schedule, having played UEFA Cup only 3 days ago against Lens and also having to play a decisive away match against Osasuna from Spain on November 29.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Korup said:
Not looking good for us, lost both matches against LSK. But theres still 4 matches to go. Come on FC! :thumbsup:
FCK just need to field some more regular starters.. or, like OB Odense, atleast replace them with some of their regular Superliga reserves and not field youth players like Mads Laudrup, Saban Özdogan and Lasse Qvist.. Özdogan is only 16 and Laudrup 17, getting their 1st team debut in RL... It just wont do..

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Final results:

Final:

15.03 Brøndby - FC København 1-0

Semi finals:

08.03 FC København - Helsingborg 3-1
08.03 Brøndby - OB 2-1 e.e.o.

Quarter finals:

01.03 Brøndby - Brann 3-0
01.03 Vålerenga - Helsingborg 1-2