Xtratime Community banner

What's up with the Royals?

• As long as it's just a "friendly" turnament, I don't really care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A good initiative to promote and enhance Nordic football

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Where's Finland? :tongue:

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It has to have a connection to the CL or the UEFA Cup to be worth the trouble

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Bring it on!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I voted "a good initiative".

I think it is a good initiative, which surely has some positive factors to it.

But first of all it's important for the turnament not to be a doll friendly or training turnament, if you like. I doubt it will though. As far as I know, there's already talks about a money prize around the 10 million Dkr to the winner. Seems fair enough. :cool:
But even if the prize isn't "as big" as we could expect, I honestly doubt the players will see it as just another "winter-friendly-turnament".

The positive factors:

1. I believe the fans will be more focused on this turnament, than they've been for for instance the La Manga-turnament in the winter-break. For one it's played in "at home" and not on a foreign Island down south, which makes it easier to attend and follow.
The fans will be a big part of this turnament- lots of them and it's a succes.

2. Money from both sponsors and the fans in stands is another important factor. Remember put the money-prizes on top of that.

3. The possible CL- or UEFA Cup-spot will of course be the main factor of this turnament - a factor we probably have to live with not being possible for another couple of years, I presume. For the future, near future, indeed!

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
It's a good idea, and it will probably be fun to watch. However, if it doesn't get serious enough or catch enough fans interest, the idea will be dead in the water, and that might be a serious blow to the Nordic football. I think if there was a European Cup spot to play for, that could really make it important, but how they would solve that, I don't know. Direct CL maybe, but UEFA would never allow that. UEFA would probably allow a UEFA cup spot, but Brøndby and Rosenborg wouldn't care about that at all, since they are usually in the CL quali, and at least in the UEFA cup, so for those teams it would be nothing to play for. Money is another factor, which could make the tournament work, but I am not sure if they have enough money to make it attractive enough, and if they do, all teams in the Royal League would get an enormous advantage on the other teams.

For this forum it's like a gift from above though, it will probably be the best place on the net to discuss this, since everyone can meet here, discuss in a language everyone understands, and I think it will bring in some great discussions.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I went for the CL and UEFA connection. Mainly from a fan point of view. Sure, if this would be a friendly tournament during the summer, this could be a perfect time to take out your summer vacation and go on a summer tour in Scandinavia.
But playing this during the winter will probably leave a lot of fans at home, if even infront of the TV.
If there would be CL or UEFA spots up for grabs this could get really interesting, since there'd be a lot more prestige than without CL and UEFA possibilities and the value of the matches would obviously rise and the fans would reconsider and perhaps even make that trip to a cold and snowy pitch up north :D

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lionheart said:
Dude, where's my Finland ??? :tongue:

This league will be boring. Maybe they are afraid that HJK's superiority will take interest away from the league ? :D
Your favourite choice I presumed. :D :tongue:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
How can this league promote football in the Nordic countries ??? Why don't they include the Finnish league then ?? The Nordic FA's were all such good friends during the Euro 2008 bid and now they are stabbing Finland in the back. Nice. :groan:

It's a load of bull**** to say that the level of play is dramatic between other Nordic nations and Finland. Obviously these people know little about football or their local media has brainwashed them to believe their league is right up there with the likes of Serie A. I mean c'mooooooooon people get real. Like whatever !! :dazed: :D

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Then why is the title of the thread Royal League or not? :nitpick: :tongue:

I haven't really followed the debate on Royal League intensly but I'll give it a shot. First of all, if there's no UEFA/CL spot in it for Royal League the competition is pointless to begin with, IMO.
I like the idea that Danish (and other Scandinavian) teams should be able to compete in Europe, but it should not be at the expense of the dometic league(s) which almost certainly will be the case with this set up.

If the top three of easch country enters the Royal League it might help these teams to do good in Europe but it will be devestating for the domestic leagues. Imagine if Brøndby and FC København will put more focus on Royal League than Superligaen or even play with reserve squads domestically it will kill Superligaen. Other teams need quality opponents like Brøndby and FCK to shape up too because they will still be given UEFA/CL spots by UEFA and the quality is already bad enough as it is.

Second; Who are the top three? Should it be those three ending on top this season, or should it be based on performances over the years? In Denmark I really can't see others than FCK and Brøndby performing at top level year after year. Too many are one-season-wonderes, only to disappear the next. Look at Farum. They finished third last season and now they are crap.

Third; Imagine if Brøndby wins Royal League, but ends up 7th or relegated (hypothetically speaking ;)) domestically, are they still in Royal League, or should they be "relegated" to only play domestic football? :confused:

So to sum up my rambeling: I'd like to further the quality of Danish football to perform in Europe but not at the expense of the domestic league :)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Biancoceleste said:
Second; Who are the top three? Should it be those three ending on top this season, or should it be based on performances over the years? In Denmark I really can't see others than FCK and Brøndby performing at top level year after year. Too many are one-season-wonderes, only to disappear the next. Look at Farum. They finished third last season and now they are crap.

Third; Imagine if Brøndby wins Royal League, but ends up 7th or relegated (hypothetically speaking ;)) domestically, are they still in Royal League, or should they be "relegated" to only play domestic football? :confused:
It's the 1st till the 4th runner-up who qualifies for the Royal League from the three respective leagues.

I don't know whether the winner of the RL is automatically secured next season or not though.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The name of the league will have to change in the future. :D

HJK, Nordic league champions 2005 !!!! Yeeaah Baby, Groovy !!! :tongue: :greed:

Only one vote for "where's Finland?!" What's wrong with you people ??????? rrrrrrrrrrrr :D

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cracker said:
Sure, if this would be a friendly tournament during the summer, this could be a perfect time to take out your summer vacation and go on a summer tour in Scandinavia.
But playing this during the winter will probably leave a lot of fans at home, if even infront of the TV.
I see your point, but since the plan isn't that it's just going to be a friendly turnament, I do believe it'll get the fans' interest in the end. Maybe it won't strait away, also because it, in the first place won't have a connection to the two European competitions, and merely will be a turnament with a neat money prize and most importantly the higher level, which the players of course will need in Europe against the big guns.

The plan is obviously to get the decisive connection to Europe through the Royal League.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
forlan03 said:
Finland should definetely be in it.. ´
I´d definetely go watch HJK playing Djurgården or Brondby.
You're right. The excuse was that the Finnish league entered negotiations too late. What a load of **** if you ask me. Nordic co-operation ?? :confused:

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Frederik said:

The plan is obviously to get the decisive connection to Europe through the Royal League.
If the interest of the broad mass should be kept, this must be done! Otherwise the idea of warming up against the best Nordic teams before taking on the big daddy's of Europe is a great idea, I have no problems with that. I just hope that the motivation of the players will be as good as ours before the game :)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
lionheart said:
You're right. The excuse was that the Finnish league entered negotiations too late. What a load of **** if you ask me. Nordic co-operation ?? :confused:
Yeah, they should just stop with the excuses and be honest about it.
Finland's football teams aren't good enough to compete in the Royal League.
And Finland doesn't have royalty either :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts