Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno but every time most people name the best strikers in the world, you always get to hear Ronaldo, Henry, Vieri, Shevchenko ,Vieri, Van Nistelrooy and even Crespo but never Makaay. Why?

The guy is a top class finisher. He hardly needs chances as he has shown this season for Bayern. For example in the game against Stuttgart, Bayern only had one chance. A Kahn goal kick which was misread by Meira and then there as a flash, Makaay was there to pounce and score. It has gone on the whole season. No service but Makaay saves the day for Bayern. For example he saved Bayern when he scored against Celtic in the first game. He cooly slotted the penalty against Anderlecht and I can go on.

Also Makaay doesn't just score 20 goals a season, he also often scores the first goal of a game or the winning goal, not like the 4th or 5th goal in a 5-0 rout like Crespo has sometimes been noted to do (said by a Italian pundit- Max Evangelista)

What weapons does Makaay not have then?? he can head the ball like none other. Roy has pace. His touch is good. I can't spot any weakness in him. He may not be such a spectacular dribbler of the ball or athlete like Henry but Roy constantly delivers the goods. His goal record is just superb.

Critics say his weakness could be that he doesn't work hard engouh and doesn't track back (Ottmar Hitzfeld said that in the beginning of the season) but his primary job is to score goals and he has done that. He probably has saved Bayerns season and Hitzfelds job!

Why doesn't he get the credit he deserves? why don't I see Makaay fans around the place? he is way better than Kluivert. What does he lack? could it be that he hasn't played for a real glamourous side like Barcelona or Milan or Ajax? with all respect Vitesse, Tenerife and Deportivo are humble sides but he's now with Bayern Munich and still he isn't imo recognized as a top 5 or 6 striker in the world. The man was Europes top scorer last season, yet he wasn't recognized by that FIFA poll either!

Also it remains beggars belief that Makaay has been overlooked by Dick Advocaat for Kluivert and even Van Hooijdonk seems to be higher than him in the pecking order!

I know Makaay is a quiet guy but what does he have to do to get recognized? drive in flashy cars and walk round in flashy outfits? :howler: or will he only get the respect he deserves when Bayern Munich win the CL? or will he have to move to a club in the real spotlight in a league that gets more coverage like AC Milan, Inter, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man U etc ?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Wally said:
drive in flashy cars and walk round in flashy outfits? :howler: or will he only get the respect he deserves when Bayern Munich win the CL?
Maybe he should get one of those hip hop cars that bounces up and down and drive it into training. Im sure a lot of people would take note.

I respect the guy as a very good goalscorer but he isnt spectacular enough which probably explains his profile. That isnt a criticism btw.

V

·
0 Posts
I agree with you, he's a top class player. I think at the moment Henry is much better then every striker in the world.

Makaay is a striker in the group behind Henry, with Raul, Kluivert (when he's in form), Van Nistelrooy, Vieri and Shevchenko.

His biggest quality is to score almost 100% from his opportunities.
But he's not such a teamplayer like Kluivert or Raul, how are better in the combination.

I think he has to win a big prize once to get the credits he deserve.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Very well put, Wally, and I agree I am a BIG fan of Makaay.

He is an extremely clinical finisher, very dependable. He is not far off being one of the world's best

D

·
0 Posts
Tremendous player. possibly the best finisher in the world. Hollands best striker IMO.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
is he a late bloomer? He only became more well known when he won top scorer last year. Before that he was scoring but not enough to be among the top strikers in La Liga.

Maybe its because of that, there was no great achievements before he won the top scorer for La Liga. Plus how many games has he played for Holland?

If keeps the form from 2002 he will probably get more recognition.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
he wasn't really a regular for Depor until last year was he ?

i remember a lot of games him coming off the bench,they even played that Argie they used to have in front of him at Highbury in 2000 ;)

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Very well put wally. Makaay is nothing short of sensational, his finishing is insane :eek: He has a great shot, good ball control, very strong in the air and a decent passer. He is certainly among the top 5 strikers in the world and deserves to start for the Dutch NT instead of the incomptent Kluivert.

Hail Makaay !

·
Registered
59,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jern Lizardhous said:
he wasn't really a regular for Depor until last year was he ?

i remember a lot of games him coming off the bench,they even played that Argie they used to have in front of him at Highbury in 2000 ;)
Yeah more of a squad rotation player but he did score around 15 in 30 games and the season before last, he was pretty injury-hit.

True what you say Liternit. Shame that Holland also has like 5 strikers who have ability. If he'd been Belgian or German he'd have already had 50 caps behind his name instead of the 25 or so 3 minutes he's got from Van Gaal and Advocaat. He even was played as a right winger most of the time by Van Gaal! :dazed:

D

·
0 Posts
Liternit said:
is he a late bloomer? He only became more well known when he won top scorer last year. Before that he was scoring but not enough to be among the top strikers in La Liga.

Last season was the second time in three years he finished top scorer in La Liga and in the other year he scored 15 goals despite missing much of the season due to injury.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
Last season was the second time in three years he finished top scorer in La Liga and in the other year he scored 15 goals despite missing much of the season due to injury.
Where did you get that info? He was only top scorer once

1992/93 Bebeto Deportivo Coruña 29 37
1993/94 Romário Barcelona 30 33
1994/95 Zamorano Real Madrid 28 38
1995/96 Pizzi Tenerife 31 41
1996/97 Ronaldo Barcelona 34 37
1997/98 Vieri Atlético Madrid 24 24
1998/99 Raúl Real Madrid 25 37
1999/00 Salva R. Santander 27
2000/01 Raúl Real Madrid 24 36
2001/02 Tristán Deportivo 21 35
2002/03 Makaay Deportivo 29 38

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/spantops.html

D

·
0 Posts
The year Depor won La Liga, or the year after he won Pichichi. When he was presented with the award, he was interviewed and he said that this one meant more than the first one.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
The year Depor won La Liga, or the year after he won Pichichi. When he was presented with the award, he was interviewed and he said that this one meant more than the first one.
according to most databases he has won only one pichichi. He came 5 or 6 goals of pichichi in 99/00 season I think.

I think this is why most people have not considered Makaay top striker, but if he has a good CHL with Bayer I think that will change.

It all depends how he fairs against RM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts