Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:devil: I would like to get your view on Roy Keane. He attacked **** Mc Carthy and said a of insults and got sent home. In my opinion it must have been really bad considering we cant call up Colin Healy so Mc Carthy would rather play with 22 without Keane than 23 with him. There is also a report out that he is sabbost to be having an affair and the women he is having the affair with is pregnant. Could this be the reason why he lost the head. Whats your opioion on this and the republics chances.?.:confused:

·
Registered
428 Posts
errr... sorry but are u in the right forum?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Personally I think Ireland are better off with that stupid Pr*ck.
He is so selfish, how could he do this to the Ireland fans?
I really hope Ireland do well now and I will be supporting them. They have to know prove to the world that Roy Keane wasn't the only good Irish player. Every single Irish player must now play their heart out for their team and country. What the Irish team is based on is the 'Irish Spirit' and if Keane stayed he would have destroyed that, so I say good riddance.
He must now be one of the most hated men in Ireland now. I must say what a brave decision it was by McCarthy and it was the right decision. The Irish fans must now forget about Keane and concentrate on supporting **** McCarthy and the Irish team.
Come on Ireland beat the Germans!:fero:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Keane has made a career out of intimidation.
He is pure fukin yob.
Unfortunately for him McCarthy is as hard as nails.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Keane is not hated over here - everybody is just really annoyed that he has sort of ruined the World Cup for a lot of Ireland fans...

'Hate' is a strong word and I have heard many 'fans' talking about how he is no longer an Irishman but I cannot help thinking that this whole mess could have been avoided. I do not want to judge Roy until all the facts come out...

Why did McCarthy bring Keane out in front of the whole team when it was perfectly safe to assume that he could well flip the lid???... He is not known for his calm, unassuming temperament so I am starting to think that McCarthy knew exactly what he was doing in setting this up...

Here's a good article about the whole situation - the best I have read so far (from the only English newspaper worth reading):

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2002/countries/story/0,11936,722543,00.html

Maybe they just hate each other too much to be in the same squad - In my mind I would rather have Keane than McCarthy... McCarthy is replaceable - Keane is not.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Keane was an idiot for criticising McCarthy - but the Irish preparations were terrible, and the actualy criticism was just, as the captain has the right to suggest changes. Unfortunately, Keane is rather aggressive (Understatement is a useful tool), and swears all too often (ditto). Had he just shut up, stated his opinion without exploding, then he would play a ful part in the World Cup. Instead, he's thrown away his international career - the fool.

·
Registered
547 Posts
"Had he just shut up, stated his opinion without exploding, then he would play a ful part in the World Cup. "

Yeah, but if McCarthy hadn't stood him in front of the entire team to explain himself then it might have all ended differently. As Eamonn Dunphy has said "It was a fight McCarthy didn't have to pick..." and Kevin Mitchell asks "how did he expect the most volatile force in football to react to a dressing-down in front of the players for what was, essentially, a correct assessment of the problems that have dogged Irish football for years"...

Keane is a nutter when he loses his rag, but McCarthy should have known this which is what leads me to believe that McCarthy got exactly the reaction he expected and wanted.

As a result of this whole HooHaa, McCarthy is now in a win-win situation: If Ireland get put out in the groups it is all Keane's fault. However, if they qualify and get to the 2nd round or quarters, McCarthy is a hero and they didn't need Keane anyway...

Here are Keane's comments as published in the Mail on Sunday:
http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/worldcup2002/news/0526/ire2.htm

He clearly says that McCarthy criticised Keane's commitment to Ireland in front of the whole squad. Now I know what my reaction to this would be if this was done to me and it would have been pretty similar to Keane's...

... A lot of people are also lending weight to the fact that the players are behind McCarthy, but can these players take any other stance?? Are they willing to risk their World Cup dream by riaking a run in with McCarthy?? - I think not.

- Its is noticable that many ex-professionals including Paul McGrath, Kevin Sheedy, Dennis Irwin, Ray Houghton and even Tony Adams are coming out on Keane's side...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I've moved this to the Irish Forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts