Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auxerre boss Guy Roux says 22-year-old French international Phillipe Mexes looks set to sign for Liverpool in the summer.

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has been linked with the player several times over the last couple of seasons and it is widely reported that a formal bid has been registered with his club.

"Mexes knows Liverpool is his destination when the season finishes," said Roux. "It is true he has been followed by the great European teams, including Juventus, but nobody has made a concrete offer for Mexes except the Reds."

Roux's quotes first appeared on the internet over the weekend after they had been translated into English.
==============
Theres also a story on the Official LFC site and they wouldnt make it a story if they didnt have any grounds i dont think, looks like it's positive but i wont hold my breath till he's in a red shirt.I made a thread because i think he would make no end of differance because our defence is beyond a joke, this is a 22 year old French international chased by the big guns.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
One thing about Houllier is that he can attract some of the big names in the game.

I hope this report is one of those that is true for a change:)

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
good news for Liverpool fans,bad news for football as Le Toad gets his stinking mitts on a great talent and regresses him a couple of years.

still at least when Houllier is eventually sacked he can get on with his career again and become a top player and hopefully help Liverpool back to the top. ;)

·
63,337 Posts
RazorUK said:
Much like Stevie Gerrard has regressed.....................;)
we'll never know how Gerrard would have developed under another manager,maybe he would have been hitting the heights he now is two years ago?

it certainly can't have improved his development playing in this shambolic side ,having to carry the workload of at least three teammates.

·
63,337 Posts
JKris said:
Or maybe it have, just because of that
yes maybe,but if they wanted him to progress even more then surely a loan to Leicester City would have been much better for his development,he would probably have been the best player on Earth now ;)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
All rumours about Liverpool heading the chase for Mexés came from the same source. They've simply been moderately twisted by all the various "news" sites.

It was exactly the same when France Football told that Kapo had been to Turin to sign a pre-contract with Juve. Two days later everything was denied by multiple sources; Kapo was seemingly dead certain to go to Valencia (or Bolton :rolleyes: ) and the same story came up in 10 different variations on various sites.

Then a week went and it was confirmed, by Moggi and Kapo, that he was indeed going to Juventus.

In the same breath- Moggi said that the club was interested in Mexés. Lots of subsequent column inches have mentioned a score of teams, most often headed by Roma or Liverpool (and often not even mentioning Juve, who has professed an interest, with both agent, Auxerre and Mexés ignolledging that Juve has been there to scout him repeatedly), to be interested. Even if Roma has little means to pull off such a transfer... and simply because that can be paired with an even juicier story of Samuel going to Chelsea or elsewhere.

It is all crap. We can believe none of it.

Today Planetfootball runs a story where Mexés' agent dismisses the claim that Liverpool is heading the chase. Saying that no formal contacts have been made by ANY side, and, like Mexés himself, reiterates how Mexés will either end up with a team playing Champions League football, or stay with Auxerre.

None of this stuff can be believed. There are too many teams who are desperate to change things around in defence for Mexés not to leave Auxerre along with Cisse and Kapo. Whether it will be Liverpool (should they qualify for CL), Juventus, Madrid... or some other team... it's anybody's guess.

I'm not believing anything until I see official confirmation from Mexés himself and the interested club... or when I read it from one of the few gospels of thie football world (or the only one- to my knowledge) - France Football.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
so what's Guy Roux's previous like then ?

does he normally come out with blatant lies in order to stoke up a bit of interest in his players ?
Well this is his last season in management I believe, he's great friends with Houllier and to be honest I can't see him deliberately lying in order to get an extra million or so for Mexes.

He said 2 years ago that Cisse would be coming to Liverpool, and although that hasn't happened officially yet, all the right noises are coming out of both clubs and the player.

On the flip side there is the Boumsong fiasco, we wanted him, he wanted to come and then Rangers offered him more money and off to a second rate league he goes....

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
so what's Gur Roux's previous like then ?

does he normally come out with blatant lies in order to stoke up a bit of interest in his players ?
He could as well have been talking about icecream and had his words twisted... mmm icecream. :)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
AGENT RUBBISHES MEXES RUMOURS

From the Offal

Philippe Mexes's agent has dismissed reports that the Auxerre defender has agreed a summer move to Liverpool.
Olivier Jouanneaux claims Mexes will leave France in the summer but will only move to a club guaranteed Champions League football next season.

And he has rubbished claims from Auxerre chief Guy Roux that the talented defender has already sealed a close season move to Anfield.

"There has been no contact with Liverpool - with me, Philippe or Auxerre," said Jouanneaux.

"I spoke to Guy Roux on Friday and he told me this was not true. If he has been saying something then it is not helpful to Philippe. He has also been quoted in the Italian press about clubs there.

"We don't really expect the club to speculate like this. Guy Roux told us at the beginning of the season that Philippe was free to leave and we could talk with other clubs, but it is impossible for us to negotiate with any club as Auxerre have not told us how much they want for him.

"We are worried about the situation with Auxerre, because they need to inform us about what they want for him.

"I did ask Roux about Liverpool and he has not pushed Philippe to them or any club. I asked him and he said he would not do it, because he knows Philippe will not be pushed into joining any club he doesn't want to.

"He wants to play in the Champions League, it is as simple as that. If he did not want that, then he could remain with Auxerre.

"If they do not qualify then it would be impossible, although we have not had any contact with them anyway. We don't know whether there will be contact in the future, but we have not talked with anyone."

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
RazorUK said:
One thing about Houllier is that he can attract some of the big names in the game.

I hope this report is one of those that is true for a change:)
I actually don't agree there, Andy :)

He can lure the above average.. especially if French.. but we haven't been able to get anyone in the skill range of Pires, Henry, Makelele or even Wiltord (who are all French).. and with Diouf his 'biggest' signing to date (Cisse will be in the summer).. I can't say he's been successful at that at all.. Ok, Diouf WAS a big name signing at the time (God, how I wish he didn't give in those good foot work displays at WC2002!).. but even so.. I can't compare him to Reyes moving to Arsenal for instance..

As I was saying in the rumors thread.. it's about time we start buying the calibre that deserve to be playing for Liverpool.. and Liverpool deserve them as a club with their history, expectations and hopes.. Mexes fits that bill.. but Cheyrou, Diouf, Diao, Biscan and even Heskey and Smicer don't!..

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
so what's Gur Roux's previous like then ?

Jrn; I don't know his style well enough to comment really, but it's not my impression that this is like Roux at all. What I think is much more propable is that he never even said anything specific about where Mexés was going to end up in the first place. That's what the agent claimed too.

I went to the Auxerre forum http://www.aja-net.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and there's nothing on this. There's nothing on L'Equipe either. Mexés is Auxerre's captain and a future dead certain French NT starter. If someone was about to nick Gerrard from Pool.... you would know, and you would discuss it. Auxerre fans know Mexés is leaving (as you can read on the site), but there's nothing concrete in te French press and Roux 'comments' aren't even debatted.

I think it's all a hoax, and incredibly poor journalism.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
To be fair Yasir at the time we signed some of those players you mentioned as not being good enough some of Europe's finest clubs were sniffing around them.

Diouf, Diao and Biscan were all being looked at by some of the big clubs when we snatched them up. Just because they've not produced at Liverpool doesn't mean that they were not coveted signings at the time.

I'm not commenting on how they've performed at Liverpool, just merely that Houllier seems able to attract some of the bigger names (especially in the up and coming category of players) in football.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
I dun rate Diao, Diouf and Biscan in the same catagory as maybe Chivu or Nesta which the big clubs really wanted. Ok maybe Diouf might start based on the hype from WC 2002, but that's about it. Every decent player seem to be linked to some big clubs somewhere. Of cos players like Biscan might get signed by the big clubs like his countryman Simic and Tudor were, but I can't imagine Biscan as high on the piority list for the big clubs.

Certainly they might move to a big club but they will find it hard to start. We belong to the 2nd catagory of clubs along with maybe Virrareal or Sttugart in terms of pulling power.

Having said that, I rated Biscan highly then. Too bad he got played out of position for 3 seasons.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts