1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

REAL MADRID (5th place, 12 points)
vs.
ATHLETIC CLUB (16th place, 4 points)

DATE: Sunday, Oct. 5, 2014 (9:00 p.m. CET; 12:00 p.m. PT)
U.S. TV: BeIN Sports
ONLINE: BeIN Sports Connect (http://www.beinsportsconnect.tv/livenow/bein-sports-connect)
INJURIES: Cristiano Ronaldo (ankle), Iker Muniain (back); neither ruled out. Aduriz is OUT (groin).
POSSIBLE LINEUPS:

REAL MADRID (4-3-3)

Casillas

Carvajal - Pepe - Sergio Ramos - Marcelo

Modric - Kroos - James

Bale - Benzema - C. Ronaldo

Bench: Navas, Arbeloa, Varane, Nacho, Illarramendi, Isco, Chicharito

-------------------------------------------

ATHLETIC (4-2-3-1):

Iraizoz

Iraola - Gurpegi - Laporte - Balenziaga

Iturraspe - Beñat

Ibai - Mikel Rico - Muniain

Guillermo

Bench: Iago, Aurtenetxe, San José, Morán, Etxeita, De Marcos, Unai López, Susaeta, Viguera.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What do you guys think about this lineup? Muniain at media punta and De Marcos on the right wing? I think that way you get Iker's creativity in the middle (which he used to set up our only goal vs. BATE) and then De Marcos creating havoc with his speed on the right side. Also, by having him at right wing, he doesn't have to worry about marking forwards, which Iraola is superior at doing.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
IBAI is a must for me, I would never let him sit on the bench, that is one of the things I never understood about valverde, how can he put IBAI on the bench? and last season the same thinking was in my mind regarding EKIZA, I was so sad and still sad to see him leaving, He was a calm, solid defender, and also a clean one meaning not on referees booking often times.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The news just went from bad to worse: Aduriz injured himself in practice and is out with a pulled groin.

Players called by Valverde for Athletic. Aurtenetxe sighting, but no Williams yet:

Iraizoz, Aurtenetxe, Laporte, Erik Morán, San José, Beñat, Iturraspe, De Marcos, Ibai, Iago Herrerín, Susaeta, Iraola, X.Etxeita, Mikel Rico, Gurpegi, Muniain, Viguera, Guillermo, Balenziaga, Unai López.

Players called by Ancelotti for Real Madrid. Ronaldo on the list:

Casillas, Keylor Navas, Pacheco, Ramos, Varane, Pepe, Nacho, Arbeloa, Carvajal, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos, Isco, Illarra, James, Bale, Ronaldo, Benzema, Chicharito.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The last time Athletic won in Bernabéu: February 19, 2005. Valverde was coach, and goals from Iraola and Del Horno gave Los Leones a 2-0 upset over Los Galácticos. Refs missed an incredible Orbaiz goal from near midfield that would've made the result 3-0.

f7H0DB74tGs

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
^^ I remember clearly that game. :proud:

With Aduriz out, I thinks we can rule out a possible goal tomorrow. Let's hope he'll play the next game at least. Or that Guillermo can fill his boots.

Or Kike Sola or Borja Viguera.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Im going to bernabeu tonight, I hope I give more luck to the lions than in Vallekas... a least in Vallekas 1/3 of the stadium was Athleticzale and the atmosphere was nice... I have the feeling I will end up really mad tonight, hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Im going to bernabeu tonight, I hope I give more luck to the lions than in Vallekas... a least in Vallekas 1/3 of the stadium was Athleticzale and the atmosphere was nice... I have the feeling I will end up really mad tonight, hope I'm wrong.
Enjoy your night Iribar but we are right up against it.

I try to get home as often as possible for football but will be flying into Malaga next Friday before heading to Granada on Saturday to visit the Alhambra..something I have never done.

International break...I'll probably be back for the Celta game the week after (Mrs off to Edinburgh on a hen party) if anyone wants to meet in Bilbo for a few beers before/after match.

·
Registered
998 Posts
More of the same shit, Valverde keeps ignoring that playing Benat instead of Herrera is like playing with Herrera sent off. Madrid not unbeatable tonight, but we are incredibly impotent.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It's a very long time since I knew going into a game we had absolutely no chance..tonight was such a game.

Their opener was identical to the Bate goal..free header at the back post.

The second off a set piece is just as frustrating given our height.

Time for a reality check after just 6.5 games.

We won't be playing in Europe next season and are already 5 points off 10th place.

Sustaining top flight status is our only aim after just a few games.

Pathetic...utterly pathetic...chance of a generation just pissed up against the wall...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Also worth noting we are the joint lowest scorers in La Liga.

We have serious ****ing problems and are in a relegation battle already.

People laughed at me when I predicted such a struggle 2 years ago.

Deja vu.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts