Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Round 4: Saturday, Sept. 20 (6 p.m. CET).
Stadium: San Mamés
U.S. TV: BeIN Sports en Español (8:55 a.m. PT)
Referee: José Antonio Teixeira Vitienes

Possible lineups:

ATHLETIC CLUB

Iraizoz

De Marcos - San José - Gurpegi - Balenziaga

Iturraspe - Mikel Rico

Susaeta - Beñat - Muniain

Aduriz​

INJURIES:

Aketxe broke a toe in his right foot against Shakhtar. Out 4-6 weeks, per Marca.

Ibai is also hampered by a muscle strain in his right leg and is doubtful for Granada.

As Iribar added below, Laporte is out.

GRANADA FC

Roberto

Nyom - Babin - J. Murillo - J. Carlos

Piti - Iturra - F. Rico - Rochina

Ortuño - Success

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Must win, otherwise we'll miss our start and we need to prevent it gets from bad to worse...
Agree with that...a lot of fixtures coming up..5 in roughly two weeks.

I thought the side looked shattered on Wednesday towards the end..maybe a few just short of peak fitness.

I hope we start resting players at the right time...Benat can have a long rest as far as I'm concerned! :howler:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I hope we start resting players at the right time...Benat can have a long rest as far as I'm concerned! :howler:
Yes, I agree on the Benat case, too! :D

Now we got three quite "easy" fixtures... Granada at home, Rayo away and Eibar at home. Time to fix our start in the new season!

If Athletic messes this up... urghz... don't want to think about that...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think anything less than seven points in these next three games is a failure. There are the winnable games that Athletic captured last season.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yes, I agree, Urzaiz.

I think, this is the chance to proof if Athletic this season is comparable with Athletic last season....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Benat can have a long rest as far as I'm concerned! :howler:
Beñat is not playing well, but keep getting his chance. Would not have happened in any other club at this level. We know his potential, and he get a real chance to perform.
That is one of the reasons I like Athletic, and probably one of the reasons Athletic is performing at this level! :D

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Laporte is also out.

Iraizoz, Iago.
San José, De Marcos, Bustinza, Iraola, Etxeita, Gurpegi, Balenziaga.
Morán, Beñat, Iturraspe, Susaeta, Rico, Unai López.
Toquero, Muniain, Aduriz, Viguera, Guillermo.

Toquero ahead of Sola...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Beñat is not playing well, but keep getting his chance. Would not have happened in any other club at this level. We know his potential, and he get a real chance to perform.
That is one of the reasons I like Athletic, and probably one of the reasons Athletic is performing at this level! :D
You said it. No other big club would have the same patience for Beñat, but man, if he can ever regain his Betis form... (crossing fingers)

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
In a way it's a matter of regaining his Betis form but mostly it is a matter of adapting to complete different style of play. Beñat's Betis was probably the team who played slower football in the league, kind of Argentinan style, and Beñat played in an Iturraspe' role.

Here we play fast and we use the wings, in addition Beñat is playing higher in the pitch which forces him to think and pass even faster.

He is having huge trouble to adapt but I think most of us (Valverde included) think he has the class to perform well in that position and in this team.

The good thing is that Unai and Ager have started to show they can perform in that position, in few weeks they will start making real pressure to Beñat's starting spot.

Athletic currently suffers a lot from Beñat's bad performances, we are missing Herrera a lot. We really need a better version of him, at least we have a more than decent plan b&c with Unai and Ager.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Talking about Beñat, Valverde announced there would be some changes in today's lineup as we play again on Wednesday.

The forced ones are Susaeta for Ibai and SanJosé for Laporte. Then most probable is Iraola for De Marcos and there might be a couple more, I don't discard the entrance of Unai López for Beñat or Morán for Rico.

Gorka Iraizoz

Andoni Iraola - Carlos Gurpegi - Mikel San José - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel Rico / Erik Morán - Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Beñat Etxebarria / Unai López - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz​

·
Registered
736 Posts
Beñat's Betis was probably the team who played slower football in the league, kind of Argentinan style, and Beñat played in an Iturraspe' role.
Very true! Beñat is too slow, but I believe he is playing much better than last year (well, mostly because his performances last year were terrible:))

·
Registered
947 Posts
Athletic does not impress me yet... totally not.
But yes, the game is early.

Edit:
And the ref does not impress me either... -.-

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Deserved lead for Granada...much the better side.

This is our worst performance thus far in quite some time.

No pace,passing or movement and our back line are getting tortured.

We have created nothing.

This raises serious questions about our strength in depth and ability to rotate our squad after CL games.

Possible changes at HT.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts