Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after we have won tonight against Valladolid, i'm confident that we will able to win this mid week match and make 3 more points on those above us. The return of Puyol from injury and Van Bronckhorst from suspension will be welcomed even if we played wellish :tongue: without them. Iniesta shouldn't have much of a problem filling in for red card Ronnie! :eek: When we played them at the Camp Nou it was a tricky match made worse because of the injury to Ronaldinho :mad: I'm sure we can pick up all 3 points but again it won't be easy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that Iniesta will play on the ronaldinho place but i want to look at Quaresma... maybe Rijkkard need to give a chance to him and start like this...

--------------------------------Saviola-----------------------------

-Quaresma ---------------- Xavi---------------------L. Garcia--

---------------------Davids----------Cocu/Motta------

Van Brockost--------Oleguer------Puyol/Cocu------Reiziger

-------------------------------Valdes------------------------------

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
I would be surprised to see us lose all 3 points here but it will depend heavily on the game of Betis' wingers.Its clear though that these kind of games are the easiest for us.We always seem to score on counters on the best moments and then defend well(not the most awe inspiring of tactics against these minnows but it works well)

Can't wait seeing Iniesta as a starter

·
Registered
167 Posts
Iniesta won't start. That would surprise me very much. I think that Rijkaard will opt for Luis Enrique or Overmars on Ronaldinho's place, most likely Overmars. I hope I'm wrong though, I would really like to see Iniesta play from the start.

Why haven't Spain's U21 left-back Peña gotten a single chance on the first team this season? Surely he must be pretty good, no?

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
without Ronaldinho, I think Barca becomes a cat without it's claws.

I see a very tough match.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Betis is losing at home against Mallorca (!) tonight. We are the best away team in La Liga and should absolutely be able to get all three points against the green shirts. Betis hasn't had a good form curve lately, while Barca has 11-2-0 on their last 13 games in La Liga!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Yes, Betis will probably lose today (88 min 0:2) but I have bad feeling because everybody wants piece of Barcelona now and Betis is not that bad team.

I hope Iniesta will start the match.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Evra said:
Iniesta won't start. That would surprise me very much. I think that Rijkaard will opt for Luis Enrique or Overmars on Ronaldinho's place, most likely Overmars. I hope I'm wrong though, I would really like to see Iniesta play from the start.
I think Iniesta willplay from the start. I would be shocked to see Overmars start for Ronaldinho, surely not even Rijkaard is crazy enough to go back and play with two wide when FCB has shown all season that they play terrible that way.

If Iniesta doesn't start, it would send the wrong message to him, he is supposed to be the substitute for Ronaldinho and deserves the start. As much as I love Luis Enrique, he is not a player to start in the place of the Brazilian.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
So we're playing two games in the space of a week right? Hmm, that's tricky. The fact that Real Madrid have three tough games leads me to believe that the goal of the season should be to try and be ahead of them, they only have 5 pts ahead of us if we pull out a victory here.

I think Iniesta should start, but Luis Enrique did play well in place of Luis Garcia. Perhaps we'll see both of them play together behind Saviola?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Why to change the system? We have to exchange one player for other. Iniesta can do great, he's a great talent and I'm sure he'd do great. The rest of the team shouldn't be touched just because Ronaldinho's absence.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Why to change the system? We have to exchange one player for other. Iniesta can do great, he's a great talent and I'm sure he'd do great. The rest of the team shouldn't be touched just because Ronaldinho's absence.
In away games yes with the exception of Luis Garcia who is not contributing at all in the past games. At home if opponents play defensively WE MUST CHANGE cause we don't score goals with that system. We are going to lose the league for not being able to score against defensive teams.

·
40,147 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
In away games yes with the exception of Luis Garcia who is not contributing at all in the past games. At home if opponents play defensively WE MUST CHANGE cause we don't score goals with that system. We are going to lose the league for not being able to score against defensive teams.
This system has worked so far. It's true that we have had problems to score, but I think it is due to the physical form of the team. But we can't forget that we have win everything with this system, except 2 matches in La Liga and the Celtic matches (in this case, we were really unlucky in both games). When Rijkaard has done experiments, we have suffered too much, so I think it's better to leave it this way.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Koeman4 said:
This system has worked so far. It's true that we have had problems to score, but I think it is due to the physical form of the team. But we can't forget that we have win everything with this system, except 2 matches in La Liga and the Celtic matches (in this case, we were really unlucky in both games). When Rijkaard has done experiments, we have suffered too much, so I think it's better to leave it this way.
I think it is to do more with how the team is structured than tiredness. If you look at our wins during our great spell they were achieved in away games playing counterattcking football or at home against teams that came to play offensively. Zaragoza put a wall in the Spanish Cup and we were unable to break it. So did Celtic, Real Sociedad, Bilbao or Villareal. I don't think it is a coincidence that Barcelona have more points away than at home.

Our wins at home in the League were against Albacete, Mallorca, Atletico Madrid and Real Sociedad. I think that only Real Sociedad came to Barcelona with a defensive mindset. Manzano and Luis Aragones put their defensive line very high up in the pitch and that favours our game. Our troubles start when the opposition pack their box, and then I don't know if the system or the men used are the main culprits but something deosn't work.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
I think it is to do more with how the team is structured than tiredness. If you look at our wins during our great spell they were achieved in away games playing counterattcking football or at home against teams that came to play offensively. Zaragoza put a wall in the Spanish Cup and we were unable to break it. So did Celtic, Real Sociedad, Bilbao or Villareal. I don't think it is a coincidence that Barcelona have more points away than at home.

Our wins at home in the League were against Albacete, Mallorca, Atletico Madrid and Real Sociedad. I think that only Real Sociedad came to Barcelona with a defensive mindset. Manzano and Luis Aragones put their defensive line very high up in the pitch and that favours our game. Our troubles start when the opposition pack their box, and then I don't know if the system or the men used are the main culprits but something deosn't work.
I believe that in the games fast passing and counterattacks are the key. Let the opposition arm their offense well into Barca's half of the field and try to counter other options is to dominate and try to get fouled close to the box and freekick it. Barca needs those great strikers from long distance like Roberto Carlos and Nedved.

As far as Iniesta playing, that would be much better than adding Kluivert. Although there is still Luis Enrique higher in the heirarchy. Maybe Iniesta will see game time late in the game. I hope he starts though eventhough I'm not sure if he can handle the whole 90 minutes.

Let wait and see...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Ronaldinho, Oscar López and Puyol are the noticeable absentees. Van Bronckhorst and Márquez return to the squad, but Márquez is expected to be on the bench. Cocu (!) and Oleguer will play in the centre of defence with Reiziger and Van Bronckhorst playing wide. Motta will be the anchorman and there's a big chance that Iniesta will take Ronaldinho's place :happy:

We have to watch out for Betis' aerial balls and of course, Joaquín. But I have a good feeling about this game. Força Barça! :fero:

·
40,147 Posts
Puyol's absence is being too long. I thought it was not so important, he's injured since the Real Sociedad match. I don't like the solution of Cocu as central defender, we lose a good midfielder to earn a poor defense. If Marquez is ready to play, he should start, if not take a B team player. I wish Iniesta can do a good match, it's the best "pedrera" player I've seen in years.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Soccerage, you never seem to amaze me
Reiziger will be the glue that holds Barca's defence together. He will need to win those aerial battles to ensure that Barca are not surprised on Wednesday.
Is your defence that bad to have Reiziger be the "glue".

Prediction:
Heart (for Davids): 2-0 for your guys
Heart (for Depor): 3-1 win for Betis

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, our defence is really bad! Barca have let in 8 goals in their last 13 games. Terrible statistics.

Marquez, Oleguer, Puyol, Reiziger and Van Bronckhorst has hold the defence together superbly in 2004.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Saviola!!!
1-0

¡¡¡¡Goooollll del Barça!!!!! El mismo Saviola lanza el penalty, Prats despeja en primera instancia el balón y el mismo Saviola remata de nuevo a gol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts