Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're visiting the home of the desperated Málaga, La Rosaleda. With the situation of La Liga and the game of Benfica next week, I think that they won't have the right concentration for this game, as it's happening lately, but it would be good to achieve 3 more points and get closer to the title.

The game shouldn't be easy, because Málaga really need to win and this is a final for them. They play at home and it's one of the last chances. We're missing many players (Puyol, Edmilson, Márquez and Messi), especially in defense, so somehow it will be a test for the game in Lisbon. So I expect to see Oleguer and Motta in the CB, who should be the ones to play in the CL.

Considering the situation of Málaga, if we score first, we would have a good option to get the 3 points... all this, with Real Madrid to come next week.

Saturday, 8 PM (local time)

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I think a rest for Eto and Ronnie would be perfect at this time. At worst cases if Barca lost and other teams won the points difference will be 9 points! I think Barca are loaded enough to win it even without their big guns.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
i would hop eobviously that we can win this game, yet at the same time taking into account malagas plight and all of our injuries, i dont think a loss or draw would be atotal disaster, especially since valencia and RM are stuttering at best. a full strength barca would walk this game, but im gona predict a score draw cos we will leak goals with motta and oleguer

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
This game needs to be played at a slow tempo, we can afford to lose points.. the main thing is not to exaughst the players. Second this is a very good chnce to test out the "new" defense, as the same back line will feature against Benfica.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
We can't rest too many players. We already have half of our defense gone and if we rest Ronnie and Eto'o we will have our ordinary offensive trio gone too. We can't relax, even against Málaga. I remember the game in La Rosaleda 2003 when Puyol was injured and they won the game 5-1 with them scoring an OG too. We'll need to focus in the beggining and hopefully close the game in the first half so we can rest our cracks in the second half.

I just hope we don't get any more injurys...

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
We should try our utmost to win this game, give 100%. There's no point in resting now, is there?

Ronaldinho had pratically 2 whole weeks off from playing football a few weeks ago, thanks to suspensions, so he should be played every game until after the Benfica second leg, then we can look to rest him then. Eto'o can be subbed in games where we are winning, but we need his goals in this patch of games. Obviously, Messi will come back having missed several games, so he won't need to be rested at all when he comes back. Puyol is missing this game and the next game through suspension, so he must also play every game we have left after his suspension ends.

This is one of the "should be won" games, so we should give our best to win it. Remember last year at a similar stage, we drew the game before the Madrid game, then lost that game, then suddenly our huge lead didn't look so huge. I'd rather kill Madrid's and Valencia's lingering hopes altogether by putting all our efforts into winning the next 2 league games.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Its always good to go into a champions league game after a win, especially when were full of injuries. Imagine the doubts in the backline after a defeat in Malaga. We cant afford this and need to build confidence in the makeshift line instead.

Anywho I like the Malaga pitch generally. Ignoring the freak result of two seasons back its quite spacious and we can take profit of this as they need to attack for the points. Hell, the defence of ours may even encourage this.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I'd like to see this line-up:

-----------------Valdes-----------
-Oleguer---Rodri------Motta----Sylvinho---
----------------Iniesta-------
--------Van Bommel-------Deco----
--Larsson/Giuly--------------Ronaldinho--
---------------Eto'o------------

- Belletti has completely lost it so i don't even consider him as an option for this game. The rest of the defence is simply what we have available.
Motta was good vs Getafe eventhough they didn't threaten us much in the 2nd half so i think he can at least used as an emergency replacement for our depleted defence.

- For midfield i'd continue with the same second half midfield wich played against Getafe.
Iniesta as a deep lying playmaker will help us to retain possession and speed up the game when needed and the other two will do their usual job.
Van Bommel needs to step up in this game. He has been a big disappointemnt this term.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Its the best lineup considering the situation but i so hate to see injesta being pulled back.. did you see that through ball he played on to Etoo, but etoo missed one on one?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
It was a Xaviesque pass. Simply perfect.
About his positionning i don't see anyone who can do a better job than Andres there plus we really are short of options.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
yeah a Xaviesque pass :)

you're right there are no options, he is the only one who can be the link between the defense and the front lines. He wont be defending in his position... our game has to be simple.. possession football ( against Malaga and Benfica)

we dont want this back line to be tested. we are without the "Heart" of the team puyol :( i dont want to imagine a full 90 minutes without him.. plus we'll be vulnerable in the aerial balls so NO FOULS near the box and no crosses , the full backs should prevent crosses.

the more possession we have, the better.....

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Carles said:
I'd like to see this line-up:

-----------------Valdes-----------
-Oleguer---Rodri------Motta----Sylvinho---
----------------Iniesta-------
--------Van Bommel-------Deco----
--Larsson/Giuly--------------Ronaldinho--
---------------Eto'o------------
I would like Giuly to start ahead of Larsson in this match, I think he deserves his chance to score a goal and I believe that him and VB are close to scoring a goal if they have more minutes. Later on in that match, I would prefer Larsson to sub Eto'o.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
FC Barcelona9 said:
I would like Giuly to start ahead of Larsson in this match, I think he deserves his chance to score a goal and I believe that him and VB are close to scoring a goal if they have more minutes. Later on in that match, I would prefer Larsson to sub Eto'o.
Well it's a matter of preference.
I know Giuly played well on Tuesday and was one the best players on the pitch but i think Henrik deserves it more.
He has been playing extremely well since Eto'os departure to the ANC scoring on a regular basis and also effectively helping the defence without interruption all this despite his age.
I truly admire Larsson and i hope he can start as many games as possible.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I think we should really go as soft as possible in this game.

I have to disagree with you, VBI. I know Ronaldinho had quite of a rest a while back, but he shouldn't play against Malaga. I wouldn't want to risk our alien getting injured before the crucial Benfica game. The league is almost in the pocket, so we cannot prioritise La Liga at the expense of the Champions League. As for the league, if anyone has doubts about the champion, we can lose the Malaga game and then tear a brand new hole in Madrid to clinch the title. It can't escape anymore. I would rather relax in the league and have the CL semis guaranteed, than win the league early and be eliminated from Europe. You have to risk a little to achieve such huge success, but I wouldn't even call this a risk. Osasuna are hardly a threat (and I'm not underestimating them), Madrid is a shame and Valencia turned out to be weaker than I had thought they would be. There's no need to worry.
And Malaga isn't even so strong so we wouldn't be guaranteed a defeat if we played without Ronaldinho and Eto'o.

I think it's absolutely neccessary to give the advantage to the CL at the moment. La Liga isn't going anywhere, not with Osasuna and this Madrid as our contenders.
Worrying about the league in our situation is simply a case of being too cautious.

So play with the subs, let them have a go, rest our key assets and hammer Benfica, then concentrate on Madrid and kill any doubt over who's the new/old champ, if there are doubts to begin with.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'd like to see
1) Rodri start in central defence with Oleguer, he needs more practice before the Benfica game
2) Motta in defensive midfield where he belongs, he's no defender
3) Iniesta ahead of van Bommel, who has been fairly useless lately
4) Eto'o rested and Larsson play instead, together with Giuly and Ronaldinho.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
It's not all about the resting. We need to protect our players from red cards. I think Santiago Rodriguez is delegated for the match :scared: He could keep his hand into his pocket all the time. I'm not easy with this game vs. Malaga.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts