1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vs

Getafe v Atlético Madrid: Preview
PA

MADRID, February 18 (Primera Liga) - Atletico Madrid coach Pepe Murcia believes his side still have a way to go to win back the respect of opposition teams as he prepares his side to face local rivals Getafe on Sunday.

Atletico have won four games on the trot to put them back in the top half of the table, but face a tricky derby against Getafe, who would love to complete the double over their more illustrious neighbours.

Argentinian defender Mariano Pernia scored from a free-kick in the Vicente Calderon to earn Getafe a 1-0 win earlier in the season, but they have struggled of late and currently lie in 11th place, two points behind ninth-placed Atletico.

``One of the objectives I have set for the side is to win back the respect of the rest of the league,'' said Murcia.

``We are getting it back little by little and we hope to put the club back where we want it to be soon.

``Everyone is committed to this task and we are determined to play with character and the commitment that has been the hallmark of the club in the past.''

Murcia went on to deny that there was an excess of euphoria in the side after their recent run of form.

``We go into this game feeling confident because we have all worked very hard to get ourselves into this position of stability,'' he said.

``We aren't overconfident. We face the game with the same humble outlook as before and are simply looking for consistency.''

Murcia loses Colombian centre-back Luis Perea to suspension and has a doubt over right-back Juan Velasco, who is struggling with injury, while Argentinian winger Luciano Galletti is out for a month with a torn muscle.

Getafe defensive midfielder and former Atletico player Diego Rivas insists his side are eager to put one over their city rivals.

``I have nothing to prove to Atletico after my spell at the club,'' said Rivas. ``All I am interested in is winning the derby to make us the second side in the city behind Real.

``In my role it is vital to try to prevent Atletico's playmaker Ariel Ibagaza from doing well. He's in good form at present so I will have my work cut out.''

Some indifferent performances of late have seen an element of friction develop between Getafe and their fans as they have drawn two and lost one of their last three games.

But Rivas believes that will all disappear in the atmosphere of a derby.

``I know a lot of our fans also support Atletico, but I am sure they will get behind us and make it difficult for the visitors,'' he added.

Coach Bernd Schuster has lost striker Ivan Riki and midfielder Fabio Celestini to injury, and cannot play Cosmin Contra due to a clause in his loan deal from Atletico.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=188569&cc=5739

La Liga | Sun, 19 Feb 06, 21:00 | Coliseum Alfonso Pérez

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Getafe ->[/b] Pos: 11th P: 23. W: 8. D: 6. L: 9. Goals scored: 32. Goals conceded: 29. Points: 30. Top Scorer: Güiza 8 goals
Atl. Madrid -> Pos: 9th P: 23. W: 8. D: 8. L: 7. Goals scored: 27. Goals conceded: 23. Points: 32. Top Scorers: F Torres, Maxi 7 goals

Probable Starting XI
25 L Franco [18 (1) matches, 17 goals conceded]
_2 Velasco [16 matches]
22 Pablo [21 matches, 1 goal]
_5 García Calvo [3 (3) matches]
_3 A López [21 matches, 2 goals]
23 Luccin [16 (1) matches, 1 goal]
_8 Ibagaza [10 (5) matches]
17 Petrov [20 (3) matches, 1 goal]
11 Maxi [21 (2) matches, 7 goals]
10 Kežman [15 (2) matches, 5 goals]
_9 F Torres [22 matches, 7 goals]

Probable Subs
1 Cuéllar 4 Colsa 15 Molinero 18 Valera 20 Gabi 27 P Sicilia 28 Del Moral

Injured List
6 Zahínos 7 Galletti

Banned
21 Perea

Out of the Squad
29 Azcárate 30 Falcón 31 Mario 32 R Llorente 33 Roberto 35 Basilio 36 A Moreno

Kick Off Time: 21:00, 19/02

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atl. Madrid

25 L Franco
_2 Velasco
22 Pablo
_5 García Calvo
_3 A López
11 Maxi
23 Luccin
_8 Ibagaza
17 Petrov
10 Kežman
_9 F Torres

Subs: 1 Cuéllar 4 Colsa 15 Molinero 18 Valera 20 Gabi 27 P Sicilia 28 Del Moral

Getafe

13 Calatayud
12 Matellán
_4 Belenguer
10 Pulido
_3 Pernía
_6 D Rivas
16 Vivar Dorado
_7 Cotelo
14 Paunovic
22 Gavilán
19 Güiza

Subs: 1 L García 5 Cubillo 8 Gica 17 Pachón 18 Redondo 21 Nano 24 Alberto

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am speechless !!!

RED IN WHITE UNTIL THE DEATH ...

Atléti - HASTA LA MUERTE!!!

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
how did Petrov play?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
we are great now without the bastard bianchi......i couldnt see the goals because the ball was white and there was alot of snowing so i know a goal only when the players run like maniacs :D :D

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
This was another great win for us, we are really flying now, its good to see Torres scoring also! if we can keep this up we could maybe even qualify for the Champions League!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts