Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a nice week, first today a direct rival in the league as Betis, then the first leg of UEFA Cup against Austria Wien and on Saturday we visit Bernabeu. Do you imagine ending this week with 3 victories?:cool: or at least 2 victories and a tie in Vienna.

Anyway, for today we have Etxeberria and Orbaiz sanctioned, both were victims of Pino Zamorano:yuck: in Riazor and saw the 5th yellow. This is today´s list:

Aranzubia, Lafuente.

Murillo, L.Prieto, Karanka, Del Horno, Casas, Iraola.

Gurpegi, Tiko, Bordas, Solabarrieta, Yeste, Guerrero.

Arriaga, Ezquerro, Urzaiz, Llorente.

Mention Bordas´ return after his injury and Iraola´s and Ezquerro´s after their resting week. Tiko will take Orbaiz´s position and the rest is just speculation although it´s probable Aritz Solabarrieta will play for Etxebe after his good game in A Coruña. The newspapers say Aritz could play as right back with Iraola as winger but I believe it will be the opposite since as we saw last season with Iraola Valverde doesn´t like to give that defense responsability to rookies. There are also doubts about Isma or Llorente in attack, we´ll see. I think this could be the lineup:

Code:
               Aranzubia

Iraola     Murillo   L.Prieto   Del Horno

Tiko    Gurpegi

Solabarrieta      Yeste      Ezquerro

Urzaiz

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh my god we have a blonde Yeste today.:eek::D It´s raining a lot in Bilbao, the field will be in bad condition.

We have official lineup, in the end Arriaga will play in the right wing, I wish him luck and I hope he doesn´t waste another opportunity, aupa Joseba!

Code:
                Aranzubia

Iraola     Murillo    L.Prieto   Del Horno

Tiko     Gurpegi

Arriaga          Yeste         Ezquerro

Urzaiz

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I didn't watch the game, but judging by the result - what a game :eek:

I really thought Athletic could make another miracle,...but Ricardo Oliveira :rollani:

Don't know how they really played the game, but I have a feeling that the atmosphere of this Athletic team is getting better...At least give credits to lions who overcome 3-0 deficit :thmbup:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I´ll leave the comments for another moment, all I´ll say now is that we couldn´t calm ourselves after a comeback (again) from 0-3 and we let Betis score us with 10 men, but what an spectacle!! San Mamés is different!! And again Julen had the winning chance in the last second but this time it didn´t happen.:depress:

BTW, Yeste 3 assists, 1 goal. take that!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
The condition of the field is just terrible... well ploughed... :D

Up to 0-3, I felt your players wanted to end Joaquin's carreer ASAP. Tackles (attacks in fact) on him rise rocketly. :eek: Del Horno is fully outplayed by Joaquin. Del Horno received a yellow card for his very intentional tackle. Poor off-side strategy earns Betis the three goal lead. And then 3 corners, 3 goals. :wth: Juanito lost Urzaiz and then Assuncao missed Gurpegi. I could not expect Yeste to shoot at that narrow angle. And he did it and beat superb Doblas, Betis' keeper. Doblas earlier the match made an unbelievable save with his foot. :eek: He is not responsible for the four goals against. In contrast, Aranzubia is discoloured. His goalkicks are poor which fly too low and lack accuracy.

Lembo's second card is as crazy as the scoring. I can't see why he should get it. Body pressuring is more than reasonable and acceptable plus he didn't do anything with his arms and Yeste appeared no danger to Betis. :rollani: :blind: Benjemin came in at 20' for Fernando after the latter's slight crash. Benjemin activited his team after Joaquin scared by his opponents after the first half. :nono: He made a precise assist to Oliverie to complete his hat-trick. The latter the match, the more loose the play of both sides under exhaustion and poor field.

MoMs are Yeste and Oliveira IMO. :thmbup:

http://www.as.com/futbol/crr/partido.html?p=0139_00_23_0001_0004

·
Administrator
53,112 Posts
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooved this game :D who cares if the defendingwas awful(heh really awful. leaving Ursaiz open on corners,Oliveira getting through so easily),what a marvellous game.Yeste owned this game,what a great player :shades:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Watching again on teletext, seeing the 0-3, I'm happy in the end with the 4-4, however before the match I hoped for three points off course!

Yeste, woohoo, cannot wait for Eurogoals to see tonight, how did Iraola play?

Anyway, Aupa Athletic and let's beat Austria on wednesday (?), it's possible for sure as even we (Utrecht) had big chances against them!

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, what a game eh? We´re starting to be used to crazy football in San Mamés, not many hearts can stand this. The game was strange, as was Osasuna´s, Athletic played very bad but it was again the pride, force and union with the fans what made the team overcome a 0-3. Unfortunately after scoring the 4th they couldn´t calm down and let Betis alive, actually I think Lembo´s sending off (unfair) favoured Betis since they looked death until then. Good game by Betis anyway.

The defense was very bad, everyone knows Betis danger is the speed of Joaquín, Edú and Oliveira and we risked a lot making the offside, always wrongly. Del Horno didn´t see Joaquín who outplayed him and it wasn´t until we had the 0-3 against that Asier made the classic hard tackle to make the gaditano scared, the bético didn´t appear again. The first goal turned us crazy, our midfield was broken, Gurpegi was too worried about helping the defense with Oliveira while Tiko was too worried about attacking since we were loosing, this created a hole in the midfield that was well used by Betis, we missed Orbaiz´s intelligence a lot.

It´s funny to see how a team that has been for about 2 years without scoring a goal in a corner then comes and score 3 in one game, and what a suprise, a left footed (Yeste) from the left, not Tiko who was taking them for years. The 2 Urzaiz headers were great, as I said Llorente´s competence will make him improve. Doblas failed in Gurpegi´s goal clearly, a goalie has to catch that ball.

Some ratings:

Aranzubia (8): Unlike IH I think he played a good game, made a couple of great saves, a freekic from Assunçao and a one to Oliveira, and couldn´t do much in the goals, the 4 were 1 to 1 from Betis attackers, that´s the defense fault.

Iraola (6): He had to do a 2 men job, that is, had to defend and attack through the right wing since Arriaga simply didn´t exist yesterday. Andoni went too often to the attack to help Joseba and let spaces in his back, spaces that weren´t covered by Arriaga and caused us problems with Betis counters. Iraola missed Etxebe a lot yesterday, they work very well together, when one attacks the other defends. Some people say Etxebe doesn´t do much, well, yesterday we saw how important he´s for us.

Del Horno (3): Almost scores the 1-1 with a header incredibly saved by Doblas but nothing else. In defense, someone should remember him that´s his most important job, he didn´t do anything, Joaquín outplayed him and it wasn´t until he "catched" him that he could control him.

L.Prieto (3): Very bad, didn´t see Oliveira. Horrible making the offside, bad with the ball in his foot, one of the worst games I´ve seen him. On the other hand he almost scores his first goal for Athletic in a corner.

Murillo (5): Had to cover Iraola´s space in the right therefore let spaces in his position, he played better than Prieto but he was bad.

Gurpegi (8): As I said he had some problems in the first minutes, he saw all the problems we were having in defense and went there to help, this created a hole in our midfield. But Carlos is pure heart and he was one of the main causes of our comeback, he stole millions of balls, played them with sense and even scored a goal.

Tiko (6): Went like crazy to the attack without knowing that to attack first you must have the ball, he lost a lot of balls giving Betis the chance of making counter-attacks.

Arriaga (3): Very bad. He doesn´t take his opportunities, he shouldn´t play more, at least if he continues playing this way. Didn´t make a single dribbling, nor a decent pass and didn´t help Iraola in the defense.

Yeste (9): Pure class. He´s ****ing crazy but if he continues playing like this what can we say? Was the leader in the comeback against Osasuna as he was again yesterday. Gave 3 assists and scored a goal. But he also gave another great assist to Ezquerro who missed it incredibly, made Doblas make a great save in a free kick and leaded every single Athletic attack, brilliant.

Ezquerro (4): Dissapeared in combat, as always we play in a bad pitch. Didn´t create danger and missed an incredible chance.

Urzaiz (8): Very well in his return to the starting lineup after the injury. Feels Llorente´s competence and the best way to fight is scoring goals, scored two great headers and won every single air ball to Betis´ defense. Juanito will have nightmares with him.

Solabarrieta (-): Entered and played as right back, showing he can play anywhere. With Arriaga in such a pathetic form he should play more.

Julen Guerrero (-): Only had time to have a chance in a header in the last minutes, it was very difficult. It would have been so beautiful...

9 games without loosing in the league but we´ve lost 2 points in 5 of them, most of the cases in the last minutes. We don´t know how to kill a game, Valverde´s fault mainly I think.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4. Athletic Club: Aranzubia; Iraola, Murillo, Prieto, Del Horno; Gurpegi, Tiko; Arriaga (Solabarrieta, min.63), Yeste (Guerrero, min.86), Ezquerro; y Urzaiz.

4. Real Betis Balompié: Doblas; Cañas, Juanito, Lembo, Luis Fernández; Arzu, Assuncao; Joaquín, Fernando (Benjamín, min.19), Edú; y Oliveira.

0-1, min.4: Oliveira.
0-2, min.11: Joaquín.
0-3, min.23: Oliveira.
1-3, min.31: Urzaiz.
2-3, min.33: Urzaiz.
3-3, min.47: Gurpegi.
4-3, min.70: Yeste.
4-4, min.81: Oliveira.

Dedicated to "el gallo" Etxebe I suppose.;)

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Hmm so our defence played very bad? Because of mistakes from others several players played bad, and they were all outplayed by Oliveira and Joaquin... :thmbdown: :depress:

Ezquerro is a strange player, sometimes he's magnificent, but sometimes exactly the opposite, and what about Arriaga? I don't really think he's a winger... but still, he played there and didn't do well.

Anyway, end good all good... ;).

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About the game, we played bad, simply as that. Against Osasuna we didn´t play bad but the rojillos had the game of their life until Athletic made the unbelievable comeback. On Sunday, Betis was outplaying Athletic and they were winning deservedly, but the motivation and passion of our players and fans made us comeback against a team that was being superior to us.

Probably the comeback against Betis has more merit because other teams would have just give up against a team that was being so superior. On the other hand, it´s scary that a team as Betis can be so superior to Athletic in San Mamés during 30 minutes, and is scary that we´ve received 7 goals in the last 2 games home. We have to improve there, but as Valverde says we only like difficult things.:cool:

Knoert said:
what about Arriaga? I don't really think he's a winger... but still, he played there and didn't do well.
That isn´t his best position but he played there with Heynckens and did well, sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself for the good of the team. He just has to look to Gurpegi, he gives his best in any position in the field. Both Arriaga and Gurpegi appeared in the first team at the same time, Arriaga looked better, but now you just have to see the progression of each.

Things aren´t working for Joseba, and it´s sad because I think he has a lot of things to be a good player for Athletic, but right now it would be unfair to give him more chances while there are other players who have done more with less chances. Maybe a loan to a team where he feels he´s more important is the best for him..

bilbao2brooklyn said:
Txupa,

love the pics.

Yeste looks romanian. :eek: :dielaugh:
Yeste and his looks, we could make a thread about it.:D... He likes all the attention on him, it´s obvious. I think he has class enough to call attention without changing his look every week but well, as long as he plays as well as he´s doing latelyl I don´t care.:crazy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts