Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milan-Brescia is the Sunday evening game. I just saw the highlights of the Reggina game, but those first minutes convinced me that Nesta's return will be a very good thing.

Parma are at Udinese on Saturday, while on Sunday Inter are at home to Empoli, Juventus to Siena and Roma to Sampdoria. This round marks the halfway point, so do we hope for a good result for Roma? The winter champion traditionally doesn't win the scudetto. :)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hi guys and gals ;) I am back. Won't be posting as much as before for the next three months as I am at the moment overloaded with work. But I keep reading when I have a bit of time. :)

Good start for Milan in the new year. Loved the Roma match. :happy: :devil:

Brescia - IMO, this is the worst time for meeting Brescia. Though I am quite confident with Milan but Baggio's form worries me. I believe they are at their peak right now and really playing well. Hope Roby doesn't chose Milan to score his 200th serie A goal.

Anyway, I look forward to a victory. But it would require the max. effort from our players.

FORZA MILAN :devil: :) :star: :cool:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Nesta wary of Brescia threat Saturday 17 January, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Nesta reveals how he is dealing with the return from six weeks on the sidelines, but warns his Milan risk a slip at on-form Brescia.

“I was a little tired after the Coppa Italia game midweek,” said the defender after making his comeback in the 2-1 win over Roma.

“Obviously the knee surgery and this long lay-off has affected my overall match fitness, but to be honest I thought it would be worse.”

The Italian international had been out of action since undergoing an operation in early December and missed out on the Intercontinental Cup.

The Rossoneri have managed to maintain one of the strongest defences in Serie A without him, but face a tricky trip to Brescia this Sunday evening.

“We will be playing against a team that is on fine form and we cannot afford any slip-ups,” he explained.

“It will be a tough game, as the Rondinelle have always given us problems in the past. The fact that Gigi Di Biagio is suspended is a bonus for us.”

All eyes will be on Roberto Baggio, as the Divine Ponytail aims for his 200th Serie A goal against his former club.

“Meeting Baggio is always a great pleasure and honour,” insisted Nesta. “Other than being a legendary player, he is also a good man.”

The two will no doubt clash at the Stadio Rigamonti, but the former Lazio man was also called to answer a bizarre transfer rumour linking Christian Vieri to Milan.

“I think that is pure fantasy football,” he smiled. “We have so many great strikers here that I doubt the club is looking for any more.”

channel4

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call-ups according to acmilan.com:

GOALKEEPER: Dida, Fiori, Taddonio

DEFENDERS: Cafu, Costacurta, Laursen, Maldini, Nesta, Pancaro, Simic

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Kaka, Pirlo, Rui Costa, Serginho

STRIKERS: Borriello, Shevchenko, Tomasson

And SoccerAge match preview:

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/s6883.html

·
Registered
57,675 Posts
Hope Roby doesn't chose Milan to score his 200th serie A goal.
That would be super-special :D

He bagged 199 already ?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ruffian said:
Call-ups according to acmilan.com:

GOALKEEPER: Dida, Fiori, Taddonio

DEFENDERS: Cafu, Costacurta, Laursen, Maldini, Nesta, Pancaro, Simic

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Kaka, Pirlo, Rui Costa, Serginho

STRIKERS: Borriello, Shevchenko, Tomasson

And SoccerAge match preview:

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/s6883.html
What has happened to Abate?

·
Super Moderator
13,648 Posts
No Seedorf?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
what a nerve wracking game it was. going 0-0 for so long when we need to keep pace with roma is rough to watch. but pancaro of all people did it for us! the man who was brought in as cover for kaladze has more than done his part for us this season!

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
I would have been happy with a draw, seeing as we had a game in hand, but once again we have proved our resilience and motivation. Just like the Chievo game, we played in the evening, after Roma and Juve had won their games - I must say, no other team in Europe is this good at handling pressure. Add to that the fact that since we're European Champions everybody wants to get a piece of us...

In short, it's been a great start to 2004. And the thing that pleases me the most is the fact that we are not even at full strength.

Once Kakha regains full fitness it will be interesting to see who Carlo selects as first choice Left Back. I think he could play in the centre of defense if either Paolo or Sandro have to miss a game...What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Oh well, most important were of course the 3 points and the first win at Brescia in 9 years!
Otherwise it was a pretty lame performance today. Brescia played really, really defensive relying on counter attacks which were dangerous at times. We couldn't really open up their defence and therefore scored from a corner kick, no one other than Pancaro heading it in. We were lucky too a couple of times and could easily have conceded a goal. Those 2 freakishly tall strikers in the Brescia attack really gave our defence a hard time.

And Sheva played one of the worst games I've ever seen him play.

But it's these win we have all been screaming for so it's nice that we're pulling them of.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
No way, great performance! Such hard work against a strong tactically disciplined side that refused to yield an inch without a fight. Our players showed so much strength and determination, JDT, Max, Cafu and Pirlo never stopped running in both directions.
It's amazing how the team never gave up despite so much effort leading to nothing over and over again but still they kept fighting and trying again and again. :star: :star: :star:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Yeah you're right. Should give them some credit for the attitude. Brescia made it difficult for us and it was hard work that earned us the victory.
The best players today I think were Cafu and Kaka. Cafu has really put in some great performances lately and defensively he's better than I expected. He definitely was today.
Kaka just keep impressing me more and more. Hit the bar today with a nice chip, but should actually have scored. Had some fine solo runs as well.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Quivering said:
No way, great performance! Such hard work against a strong tactically disciplined side that refused to yield an inch without a fight. Our players showed so much strength and determination, JDT, Max, Cafu and Pirlo never stopped running in both directions.
It's amazing how the team never gave up despite so much effort leading to nothing over and over again but still they kept fighting and trying again and again. :star: :star: :star:
Agree on all accounts!

The players have to be praised first of all for their attitude. Brescia made life extremely difficult for us. If Sheva for instance didn´t play as we´re used to, instead of criticizing look for the reasons and give credit where it´s due, he wasn´t left any space what so ever.

A brave performance by Brescia, they really deserved more but fortunately Milan kept trying patiently and got what they came for.

·
Registered
57,675 Posts
I saw the match. It was pretty boring but very tactical. Brescia closed down really, really well and wanted to hit Milan on the counter-attack when possible. Roberto Baggio :star: Still a magician. Everytime he had the ball at his magical feet he troubled the likes of Nesta and Gattuso. And this lovely flick in the second half :dazed: :strong:. Too bad he injured himself after he tried to stop Pirlo. [Actually this incident happened in the 1st half but Baggio insisted on continuing the match]

Milan's best player was for sure Pirlo. Yes Kaka had a good match as you guys pointed out. And Cafu had some runs forward. BUT Pirlo was here, there and everywhere. His passes as accurate as ever. Not to mention that he assisted the all important Pancaro goal with only 8 minutes to go.

And Sheva played one of the worst games I've ever seen him play.
Well maybe he didn't play as he should be but it would be harsh, very harsh to say that he was poor. Actually his marker, Dario Dainelli played the match of his life. The whole back four had a brilliant match, with Mauri excluded as Cafu was all over him.

Gilberto Martinez, Fabio Petruzzi and Dainelli. :star:

Ambrosini had a good match defensively, he made about 484903 fouls & interceptions. Very good game. But attacking wise, he sucked. That's why Ancelotti used Serginho, to give some offensive support to Pancaro. When JDT was introduced, I felt Milan became more lively. Poor Brescia, one mistake..0-1. Terrible man-marking in the box during the corner kick, it was a free header from Giuseppe actually. Before that goal Brescia could have scored but Dida saved well from Del Nero's left-footed effort and then Mauri weirdly missed the target with the goal at his mercy. !!

Player ratings :

Dida 6.5
Nesta 6
Maldini 6.5
Cafu 7
Pancaro 6.5
Pirlo 7.5
Gattuso 6
Ambrosini 6.5
Rui Costa 6.5
Kaka 7.5
Sheva 5.5