Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Players called-up by Ernesto Valverde:

Iraizoz, Iago.
Aurtenetxe, Laporte, San José, De Marcos, Bustinza, Etxeita, Gurpegi, Balenziaga.
Beñat, Iturraspe, Susaeta, Rico, Unai López.
Ibai, Muniain, Aduriz, Viguera.

Suspended: -
Injured: Iraola, Guillermo.
Out: Aketxe, Toquero, Sola.

PROBABLE XI

Gorka Iraizoz

Óscar de Marcos - Xabi Etxeita - Aymeric Laporte - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel Rico - Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Unai López / Beñat Etxebarria - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz

Taking a look to the list I don't discard De Marcos playing as AM and Bustinza entering the lineup.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This looks like a tight game with the possibility of few goals.

We have incredibly had two draws and two wins in our last four games despite scoring only 2 goals!!

AA is back tonight but has been training alone this week so his fitness may be an issue.I'd like to see us get behind Espanyol and run at them with ball at feet instead of the usual possession football followed by the all too predictable cross.

A win is well within range tonight but remember this lot did the double on us last year..3-2 and 1-2 in SM...we must remember to avoid getting countered with our high defensive line and their breaking pace.

Onwards and Upwards.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
I think tonight is the closest we play to a 4-4-2 with Valverde since his comeback.

Valverde starts with:

Gorka Iraizoz

Óscar de Marcos - Xabi Etxeita - Aymeric Laporte - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel Rico - Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Borja Viguera - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz

Bench:

GK Iago Herrerín
DF Unai Bustinza
DF Carlos Gurpegi
DF Mikel San José
MF Beñat Etxebarria
MF Unai López
FW Ibai Gómez

Probably Viguera will play behind Aritz and not as striker partner but still, he won't have the usual midfielder role of Athletic's AMs under Valverde.

Unlessssss....Viguera plays on the left and Muniain as AM....

·
Registered
736 Posts
2-0 Wonderful play by Aduriz to set up Viguera on a Counter-attack. Beautful play by Aduriz and beautiful touch by Viguera :D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Great interplay and understanding between the two strikers and a lovely..good for Viguera's confidence to open his goalscoring account.

However overall a very moderate performance if we are being honest and we are slightly lucky to be 2-0 up.We are giving the ball away far too easily and playing too many square and backward passes.A lot of overplaying at the back as well.

No pleasing some people :smileani:

They have had a few opportunites..but the win is the main thing and hopefully we can shut up shop in the second half.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Agree, it has been a poor half, but I don't see that Espanyol team coming back.

We have trouble, but at least we are solid in defence at the moment...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Great 3 points and some nice stuff played in the second half when they had to come and play and left us plenty of space.

Iker terrorised their left back and got half their team booked..great effort.

Disappointing to concede that soft late goal and spoil what would have been 5 consecutive La Liga clean sheets.

Thats being churlish though and I'm delighted with the three points to keep our mini run going.

Onwards and upwards

·
Registered
736 Posts
Iker terrorised their left back and got half their team booked..great effort.
Well, he is good at that (getting their team booked), but would like some more assists and goals as well...

And yes, Aritz is half the team. Felt thought that Viguera got some important confidence. What if his shot in the second half would have been a goal :D Would be better than Iturraspe's goal...;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts