Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This looks tough.

Valencia at the Mestalla are 5 wins from 5 with 15 averaging 3 goals a game and only conceding 3.

In fact they have netted 3 times home and away in 7 of their 10 games.

Conversely,we have 1 win and 4 defeats on the road scoring a measly 2 goals and shipping 10.

Add to the mix the fact that they are rampant at the moment and we are in the doldrums,missing a few players,and things do not look good.

I'd be happy with a draw!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would gladly take a draw as well. Hope Valverde uses the same lineup he did vs. Sevilla.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
considering that almost everybody below us drew or lost, We should certainly aim for a win, and I dont care about how we performed and they performed, this is football,and anything can happen, and anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I didn't see the game.

A point at the Mestalla is always a good one regardless of circumstance.

4th consecutive La Liga clean sheet...if only we could find some goals.

Only one team in the division has scored fewer than us...more than ironic,we used to lament our defence.

We have 4 goals in our last 9 la liga games...thoughts?

Anyhow,forwards always get the praise so a big up to our defenders who game after game are papering the cracks in the offence.

Really not sure where we are going at the minute?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
We have 4 goals in our last 9 la liga games...thoughts?
Don't think we can blame Guillermo, but what about Kike Sola who had a cracking season at Osasuna a while ago, what happened to him?
Also, why is Muniain benched so often?
And what about Borja Vigüera?

I only see Aduriz or Guillermo appear up front...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Don't think we can blame Guillermo, but what about Kike Sola who had a cracking season at Osasuna a while ago, what happened to him?
Also, why is Muniain benched so often?
And what about Borja Vigüera?

I only see Aduriz or Guillermo appear up front...
If we don't blame the forwards who,except AA,who do we blame?

We should be playing 4-4-2 home and away with overlapping full backs...it is so obvious...especially at home.

Sola is constantly injured and Viguera from what I have seen is nowhere near the level of La Liga.

Iker is carrying an injury so that much is accounted for.

This season is about?...you know,I don't know what.

..we were in the CL in a soft group after beating a better team than we would face in our group.

We have been complete rubbish all over the pitch aside from Gorka and Aritz.

I really do not know what has gone wrong,what are we doing different or what is the solution.

What I do know is that I have never seen a team in any top flight division regress and combust like we have done in the space of 8 weeks.

I'm not paid to make such conclusions or adjustments but it is perplexing in the extreme.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
One thing in our favour for a push for top 6 is that that we have played the top three away from home and given our position a point at the Mestella is more than acceptable..how aspirations change...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Correction: 1 goal only in the last 8 games apart from Aduriz; that's shocking. I'm confused with Valverde not seeing this. And as you mentioned, we don't have a lot of chances also, we have few chances, very few for a team of our caliber.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh, there's a lot to say about this Tarquin. Doesn't even fit into this little box of notes but I'll give it a try.

First of all a good thing like you guys mentioned. Defence good and Etxeita and Laporte looks good together. My concern now is the right back position. I cry a bit when I see Iraola's hanging on to an arm or whatever he can get a hold on. He hasn't got the speed anymore. Yeah, Balenziaga is not the best on the right but he is young.

Defensive midfield is our fortress on most occasions anyways. Iturraspe and Rico are solid.

The problem lies on the offensive midfield. There is no ideas or creativity or pace. There is no movement either.

I see two choices for Valverde.

1. Change the formation with more attackers like 4-4-2 or maybe even give 4-3-3 a try? He could even give all three DM's a chance in that formation. Three dedicated forwards. I'm thinking something like this

just an example:

Gorka
De Marcos - Etxeita - Laporte - Balenziaga
Beñat - Iturraspe - Rico (All three are good in both ends)
Guillermo - Aduriz - Ibai

It's a less creative eleven maybe but a more solid one, with more dedicated attackers to get more people into the box.

2. The second Valverde could do is keep his formation 4-2-3-1 but then there will have to be a revolutionary change in the offensive three on the midfield. They must recreate them selves.

After Ander left there is no spark, no guts no nothing. Muniain is taking no risks anymore, only playing sideways or backwards. Ibai is not shooting anymore. He's got a hell of a right foot I recall from a time far from now.

Both Ibai and Beñat has totally forgotten how to cross the ball into the box. It's amazing what can be lost in so little time...?

Athletic has always relied on their lone striker to much. Remember Llorente, when he was out of form the goal scoring seized to exist. More threats from offensive midfield i a must in this formation. And we have to run without the ball. It's so simple, make space for your team mate.

One last reflection. We lack a midfield general of Orbaiz or Gurpegi measurements. Someone who always give a hundred percent and acts as roll model. Herrera was a good character in that department too. Not only a technical genius but also a great hard worker with a killer instinct.

Lets face it the captains are not delivering anymore. Gurpegi, Iraola and maybe Gorka too? The backbone will have to transplanted. Who can step up to be the captain? Valverde have a few thing to consider if he's still around next season. This seasons medicine seems to bee risk minimizing ala Mourinho that's the most point giving. But let's not call Caparrós just yet.

Maybe there's a way of getting back to creativity and pace?
I used to love Athletics games when we could change a game just by shear energy. When was the last time we won a game when we were down 0-1?

Back to the roots Valverde!

Now bedtime for wannabe managers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts