Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 3572 Posts

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by our small discussion in the website topic I decided to open up a thread about the greatest city in the Netherlands (the people's capital), also known as Rotterdam! :cool:

Basically anything concerning R'dam can be discussed here, funny things like the 'groetzone' our college of B&W wanted to install :D, or events/parties that are going to be held here but of course also news in general involving the city.

Here's a site in English with an amazing amount of photo's I just googled, for all of you to enjoy, Rotterdam!

I personally live in the neighbourhood called Feijenoord. It's a great place to live although people from outside of R'dam might think it's a bit dangerous. We have over 100 nationalities in this neighbourhood alone, so it's a bit of a cultural mix.

For nightlife, IMO Rotterdam's the best. Clubs like Off Corso, the new Now & Wow, Thalia etc are excellent with a lot of different themes every week.

Now I know Monte (used to?) live here as well as for instance Boyo, but Wally's in Leiden and Rataplan I don't know, are there anymore people on these forums from in and around R'dam?

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Drulo said:
For nightlife, IMO Rotterdam's the best. Clubs like Off Corso, the new Now & Wow, Thalia etc are excellent with a lot of different themes every week.

Now I know Monte (used to?) live here as well as for instance Boyo, but Wally's in Leiden and Rataplan I don't know, are there anymore people on these forums from in and around R'dam?
cool topic :cool:

certainly is better than Leiden when it comes to nightlife. People complain that Hollywood is a kids disco but just take a look here at Leidens only disco In Casa :eek: nighttown, ministry of dance..all better than what you got here :rollani:

What I also like about Rotterdam is the Solero Summer carnival and the dance parade. Reminds me a bit of the Notting Hill carnival, always nice to go to. Been to the dance parade 3 years ago. Also the Rotterdamse filmweek. I'm not such a film freak but I know people who love it and they're probably tonnes more events I forgot or don't know :eek:

I've got family living in Rotterdam and I'll even be spending Christmas there, so expect me to contribute to this thread even though I now am in the town of ballen :eek: :D

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure no-one will object if we give you the title of :star: honorary Rotterdammer :star:, Wally. After all, even though you were surrounded by dimwits, you managed to choose the path of wisdom, also known as Feyenoord. ;)

Holly we call Snolly over here. Yes I admit, when I was 15/16 I used to go there a lot, like all teenagers over here, but it'd be sad if I went there now. I could end up in jail for even as much as looking at those young girls. :D

Carnival and the dance parade are indeed great and are exactly what I mean with cultural diversity as those are days that our entire city seems to be partying. Although I'm usually gone for the summer.

I'm sure you already told me but I forget a lot of things (half of my old classmates for instance :D) so don't feel offended, but where in R'dam does your family live? I recall something about West?

BTW I assume you live in Leiden for your studies? If so have you got any plans for when you've finished?

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Nah, not west, have an aunt in Hillegersberg. I know, pretty posh and stinky :eek: :D and I got a couple of cousins who live in Kralingen (van Persie land :shades: and the land of Loovens too I think :howler: )

BTW isn't Zuidplein near you? and if I remember correctly you once played with Chung Gog Song who was a nice bloke :cool: any other players you met around there since I know most foreigners from Feyenoord live there

As for my plans, I'm not sure. I actually like it here but I also don't mind the hussle and bussle of a big city like Rotterdam or London. Depends on where I'll get a job probably :D but if I won't make it a secret that I'd love to one day live in London again. Even though I am Dutch, I do have an English heart in a way I guess. How about you?

As for the Hollywood, not on Thursdays though right? I been a few times and it didn't look that young and at least they had a sort of control. Here on students night in Leiden (also Thursday), they just seem to let anyone in, probably need the money I guess :D but on other nights it's a disgrace at Hollywood, I agree.
Have you been to the Baya beach club btw? never been there (only once tried to get in with mates when I was only an eerstejaars. Failed miserably course :D ). Anything to look out for or just ordinary?

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
nice topic :cool: I love Rotterdam, lived near Zuidplein which has some crappy houses in its vicinity (which I hate) I dont like Kralingen.. anyways, I think I'll be back someday soon.. if not there then Ill live in Amsterdam (dont slap me :D) I must admit that I love that city as well and some aspects of it are really missing in Rotterdam :cry: (echte gezelligheid, het door de stad slenteren/fietsen na middernacht etc) so I dont completely agree with saying Rotterdam is our capital but Roffa certainly isn't the dump and crime hole people say it is! I must say that I always say the exact opposite to people who plan on coming to NL, I tell em to forget about A'dam :D I just love the willemsbrug and erasmus at night, best panorama in the country.

Anyways, sure Wally I have been to Baya and it's nothing special, hooters all over the place ha ha no seriously can be chill if you like it. Streetlife to pool, breakaway cafe to chill.. i dont know, enough options there :)

Whats everyone going to be doing for oud en nieuw?

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
I'll be spending New Years at the parents of my "in-laws" in the Hague. Probably will go out later but planning to do nothing too special really in these festive days, like having a dive in the North Sea like some people like to do :D

As for crime holes, Rotterdam definitely isn't one if you compare it to Tottenham, yep the area in London where my fav English club comes from. Brixton too you have. You don't have things like the Crays in R'dam :D

btw. I've made this topic sticky and made all the others unsticky (I thought there were too many, got too jumbled :eek:). so now only this and the fixtures/guide to Feyenoord (more for non kenners of Fey/ opposing fans really, though I better change it since Ive rated guys like Mtiliga in it :eek: :D ) is sticky. Complain if you want me to change it back.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Nah, what can I say... it's at least better than Amsterdam :p...

I've not been much in Rotterdam as I live in the south-eastern part of Holland (above Venlo), I've been there only for football matches and for the world tennis tournament... but from what I've seen Rotterdam looks good to me.

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
City of artists and thinkers

artists:

:D

and last but not least.... :proud: :shades: :D

I'm sure I've forgotten a few :eek:

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cool pics guys, way to go! :)

And thanks for making this a sticky Wally, this can be our OT thread since almost every forum has one.

To answer your question, yeah Song once came to our own little 'pleintje' where we actually played some football with the guy, very cool experience and seemed very nice (probably why I feel sorry for him). I've met plenty of other Feyenoord players just walking through this neighbourhood. Samardzic, Lazovic, Leonardo II and the coolest out of all Shinji Ono :cool:. I've also seen a lot of them without having talked to them, like your man, Julio Ricardo Cruz.

As to where I want to live. I'm pretty satisfied here, I've got my friends here, play football, go out and chill, basically I'm a levensgenieter. After a couple of lousy attempts at HBO I'm doing the right thing for me finally. Journalism in Utrecht, with sports and leisure as minor. If I had to move to let's say Italy or Greece (or even Argentina :cool: ) for work, I would, but that's just fantasies for now. How bout you guys, whatcha studying and how long have you got left?
Anyway I understand how you'd go back to your roots and London is a big city. When it comes to football clubs it reminds me a bit of Belgrade. There's tons of them, only the level is much higher of course. I take it you'd become a regular at White Hart lane then Wally?
And no Monte, I won't slap you :D, how could I slap a sister from the same hood?! :) To each his own I guess and the other city must have something, otherwise people wouldn't go there, I just fail to see it. BTW Where do you live now Monte?

For Oud en Nieuw I'm staying close to home, I bought some fireworks for the first time in a while and I'm gonna stay put instead of going out to overcrowded clubs like I've become used to. How 'bout you?

PS About Baja, most of Serbia's NT players spent the night there right before their quarterfinal clash with Holland. They were living it up from what I gathered and doesn't suprise me one bit. ;) But yeah, hooters everywhere, although they're more the cheap kind. Not to my taste, but who knows, it could be your mekka Wally. :D

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Thanks for the link Drulo. :)

In the late 70's my family and I lived in Delftshaven, in the mid 80's we moved to Overschie for a few years, and eventually to Kralingen. When I moved out on my own I got a small flat in het Centrum, and since '97 I have a masionette also in het Centrum. Quite a nice place, and an excellent location.

It's really a remarkable city to live in. It has a very specific feeling that you don't get in other Dutch cities. I guess that's because of it's modern centre. When I showed Nedved! around town a few years ago she found it resembling Singapore. :)

In the past I went to Nighttown quite a lot, also Parkzicht when it was still a decent place (long time ago ;)), when Baja came along I wasn't into clubbing so much anymore, I went there a few times but it's not really my thing. Nowadays I mainly stick to the Oude Haven.

Regarding crime, I also don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be, of course there are certain areas that you'd best avoid late at night, but that's the same with every large city and I actually think a city such a Utrecht is far worse in that respect. Annoying junkies everywhere there. While in Rotterdam it's mainly 'straatkrant' sellers, like that guy who's always in front of de Bijenkorf "wie maakt mij blij, wie koopt een krantje bij mij". :D

I think the gemeente has also done a lot to improve it, not just the current council, but before that as well. There is still quite some work to be done of course, but that's what Rotterdam is known for.

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
grrrr had to rewrite the post since the site went down :(

Now, Boyo, the ultimate (and most important :boxing: ) question , what's your fav club in Rotterdam? :D
Drulo said:
But yeah, hooters everywhere, although they're more the cheap kind. Not to my taste, but who knows, it could be your mekka Wally. :D
don't think my other half would appreciate it :pp

As to what I'm studying now, currently doing English and management. Whether I'll become a teacher or pennenlikker achter een bureau, I'm not so sure, but I'm not scared to stand in front of a class, and that's something which is important if you want to go in that direction. Currently got 2 years left (including this one) , fingers crossed. :D great to hear it's going well btw Kris :cool: to those wondering, I'm Walter btw :D
As for the Belgrade - London football comparison, how many clubs does Belgrade have in the top 2 or 3 divisions? you probably know about Londons clubs (if not, I'll go through them one by one :D) the only clubs from Belgrade I heard off are obviously Red Star, Partizan then OFK and Arkans former and now his missus' club Obilic. There more? also a thing I been wondering is how are the clubs politically since I know clubs in Russia or Egypt had certain allegiances to certain factions (CSKA - army , Zamalek, Al Ahli - Sadat, Nasser etc. ), but how is it with Red Star and Partizan? is it like I'm guessing by looking at the names that Red Star was from the old communist party (hence Star in the name) and Partizan (from the nationalists) or am I totally wrong :eek: :D

Becoming a regular at WHL would be hard btw :groan:. They have a long waiting list :( and unlike the :ass: , we aren't planning to build a new stadium or won't be able to epand the current stadium (transport problems and area). Groundsharing with a rival club is an absolute no-no so Spurs fans on a waiting list probably will just have to wait till 2012 and hope that Londons olympic stadium will be given to us just like how Man City got their new stadium. Anyways before dreaming on becoming a Spurs season ticket holder , I better visit de Kuip more often now I'm here :rolleyes: haven't been once this season :embarass:

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boyo said:
While in Rotterdam it's mainly 'straatkrant' sellers, like that guy who's always in front of de Bijenkorf "wie maakt mij blij, wie koopt een krantje bij mij". :D

I know exactly who you're talking about! Also there's a Surinamer, always wears white and carries a large stick. He always tries to lead people to God's path and is a very entertaining individual. There's tons of colourful people like these 2 on the streets of R'dam.

Oh and thanks Wally, good luck to you too, with your education finding a job abroad shouldn't be too hard either, right?

As for the Belgrade-London comparison. Yeah I know London, from West Ham to Fulham, Millwall to Chelsea, Tottenham to Arsenal. The city's filled with clubs. In Serbia we call our highest division the 'tram league' since you can basically visit more than half of the clubs through public transportation in BG. So the 4 you named plus Zeleznik, Cukaricki, Hajduk Lion and from BG suburbs also Radnicki Jugopetrol and Zemun. That's 9 our of 16 teams in the first division :eek:! The Serbian second division also has a lot more BG based teams.
About the politics. While both Red Star and Partizan were founded as communist clubs (RS=people, Partizan=army) nowadays neither of them have any affiliation to political parties. Although Red Star did become the symbol for Serbs and Serbia during the almost 50 years of communism in Yugoslavia where any form of nationalism was forbidden.

I didn't know things were like that at WHL. But that's only a good thing looking at it from the club's perspective. Even though you aren't exactly going through your best times, the fans keep on coming. Now that's loyalty! :proud:
As for the Kuip, yeah, I'm only 5 minutes away from it and yet I too haven't been all season, except for the open dag. I'm usually busy during the weekends, but I should really make some time.

As for crime, well sadly only last week a stabbing took place near my old street, on the Beijerlandse Laan. And like 3 weeks before that a deadly shooting took place around that area as well. But this isn't a problem that's strictly related to R'dam. It has more to do with the radicalisation of society as a whole. :eek:

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Drulo said:
Oh and thanks Wally, good luck to you too, with your education finding a job abroad shouldn't be too hard either, right?

As for the Belgrade-London comparison. Yeah I know London, from West Ham to Fulham, Millwall to Chelsea, Tottenham to Arsenal. The city's filled with clubs. In Serbia we call our highest division the 'tram league' since you can basically visit more than half of the clubs through public transportation in BG. So the 4 you named plus Zeleznik, Cukaricki, Hajduk Lion and from BG suburbs also Radnicki Jugopetrol and Zemun. That's 9 our of 16 teams in the first division :eek:! The Serbian second division also has a lot more BG based teams.
About the politics. While both Red Star and Partizan were founded as communist clubs (RS=people, Partizan=army) nowadays neither of them have any affiliation to political parties. Although Red Star did become the symbol for Serbs and Serbia during the almost 50 years of communism in Yugoslavia where any form of nationalism was forbidden.

I didn't know things were like that at WHL. But that's only a good thing looking at it from the club's perspective. Even though you aren't exactly going through your best times, the fans keep on coming. Now that's loyalty! :proud:
As for the Kuip, yeah, I'm only 5 minutes away from it and yet I too haven't been all season, except for the open dag. I'm usually busy during the weekends, but I should really make some time.

As for crime, well sadly only last week a stabbing took place near my old street, on the Beijerlandse Laan. And like 3 weeks before that a deadly shooting took place around that area as well. But this isn't a problem that's strictly related to R'dam. It has more to do with the radicalisation of society as a whole. :eek:
Hope not but I haven't really done any research either yet into the job market. About the Belgrade clubs, which club would you say is the third biggest? I remember seeing Obilic playing in the qualifiers of the CL on eurosport and they played in a real small stadium (looked like an amateur stadium :eek: ) . It seemed like a club which didn't have a real following and I've read a thing or two about their former chairman using intimidations so I guess they're not the third biggest right? despite once winning the league a few years back.

About Spurs fans, not all think so about them :D yeah we haven't won anything for ages, but our fans aren't the most supportive you can get (ok still supportive if you compare with Spaniards or others who just go to the stadium to boo their whole team when things aren't going well :howler: but for English standards, our fans can be a bit fickle . There were even people doubting Jol after he lost his first 3 games ), but other than that, it indeed is pretty impreesive we get full houses week in week out, unlike the :ass: who got average crowds of less than 20000 when they got relegated in the mid 1980s :D about Goran Bunjevcevic and Acimovic, it's a shame they didn't really adapt. Acimovic's career was almost over after that huge miss he made against Fulham plus he looked a tad slow for the EPL, though good to hear it's going better with him now in France while with Bungy a little bit the same but he at least is still with us and I haven't heard him complain once despite not playing regularly. He's currently injured but usually a bit part player who plays at LB or CB when needed. Either he likes the money :D or he just is a guy like Gyan :cool:

about the crime, it's just the usual muggings and drug shootings though right? or do you think there is more :eek: a thing I noticed too was that crime was reported less when I came over to Holland but I think we're just hearing about it more now since it's getting more into the spotlights, or am I totally wrong?!

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
OFK Belgrade would be my pick for 3rd Belgrade team. If it weren't for Zvezda, I would go for them ;) Wally should go to Belgrade some time :D I dont know if those intimidation stories about Obilic are true (read Johan by any chance Wally?) I remember hearing Nenad Grozdic say how satisfied he was with how things were at Obilic and how the team was motivated, he said this when he already played for Vitesse.

Actually Drulo Im looking for a place in Amsterdam now with a couple of others cause we've continued our stuyding there :eek: I get why you don't really like Amsterdam because like Boyo described there's something about Rotterdam that's unique. But Leidseplein at night is great. I've practically lived everywhere in NL apart from the north, thats what you get with busy parents ;( in the South (where I am at the moment because of my sis) East (thank God we're gone :D) and West (around Amsterdam.. and Rotterdam zuid - where Ill be soon because of the family).

I still need 1,5 years to finish economics but I love this life, dont want to be working at 23 already, so I guess Ill continue my law studies OR try to get some other bachelor OR fail some tests ;) Journalism seems really nice. I've always loved writing as well.

I want to go to London for New Years. But it's just vague plans. Paris as an alternative. Life in a big city is nice but there's a dilemma rising - what if I have kids? Will I like seeing them grow up in Rotterdam for example? There are benefits (attitude) but big cons as well (having pets, gardens..safety etc.) I will definitely be satisfied with my own apartment there in the near future but later on.. Im not so sure. Some friends of mine have permanently left for the UK and my best one :( even for Sydney. Im thinking of leaving as well but the big Q is where to? Serbia is out of the question, Greece is great but I do not understand Greek. Australia is too far. UK is too rainy. New York too busy.. sigh.

Ive never doubted Jol, he's a great guy. Wally, any recommendations about London? Where to go , which clubs? I know you were young when you lived there but you must know more about its nightlife than most people ;)

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
As for going to Belgrade, who knows! I've been to Prague, Budapest, haven't been on a real holiday for a year or two (don't count going to Berlin or Brugge for a weekend as one :D) so it might be an idea if I can save.

About Londons nightlife as you said I was a tad young when I was there (until my 14th and unlike here, that'd really mean you'd never be let in anywhere if you did try) so I'd be waffling were I to recommend nightclubs to go to :D I do know in my area in West London, the place to be was the Hammersmith Palais (Boy George (yep him!) DJs there ;) :D ) but other than I'm as useless as anyone else , sorry :(

However most of the places to go out are in the Soho area and they're musicals round Leicster Square you can go to if you're into them (like Les Miserables which I have seen). http://www.timeout.com/features/newyear/ is a link which could help wth parties to go to on the 31st.
If you got questions about shopping then I can help you though ! and where to stay etc.

How about Belgium Monte? , I dunno but whenever I'm there, you feel the southernness/ more warmness (probably just their accent which I like) . Might be just me :D but yeah the weather ain't much better there as well. About Obilic, I don't know where I read it but it wasn't Johan since I never read that. I think it was world soccer but I guess Johan started the imtimidation stories, right?

DEFOE just scored for Spurs now btw :D as I type. 1-0 to the Spurs against Palace :cool:

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
The musicals are probably a bit too expensive but Ive heard about the Soho area yeah. thx for the help offer :). Belgrade is nice in May/June, great food for a few bucks and good nightlife :D Did you like Prague and Budapest?

I dont like Belgium because its more dirty and a bit messy there. Holland is so organized and clean, basically compared to any other country Ive ever been to. Belgium has better healthcare IMO though and a better insurance system but it is no real improvement over Holland. Their accents remind me of kanslozen from Jambers :( Holland isn't bad though, not at all ;) Just this crap weather and huge taxes, plus no real places where one can enjoy nature.

YES! Defoe is in my team :D

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
monte said:
YES! Defoe is in my team :D
You got a fantasy league team? :confused: :D it's 1-1 now btw and also the final score :mad: Typical of us to throw away points against the weaker sides :( :thmbdown: actually pissed at this. It always happens when we're on the up. Typical!

Yeah liked both, but Prague more than Budapest. Probably was more put back by Pragues buildings :D The trip to Hungary was cos of school. Spent most of the time there in Debrecen in the east.

hmmmm about where to live, I reckon London would be best then if you do want to move ( other than the weather.) I lived in west London and there's plenty of nature near where I lived (Richmond Park which is huge (known for its deers) and Barn Elms). Taxes are also lower in England, their economy is also growing more than ours right now but the downside is course traffic :D and the high living costs.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Yeah a fantasy team :D I am pissed as well cause Naybet didnt play and I counted on keane as well.

Traffic.. in what way other than that they they drive on the left :mad: ? :D I mean we have these files everywhere too. If it weren't so small, Malta could have been the final solution - a sunny island and you can even speak English :tongue:

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Which league? got a team on http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ and XT has a mini league too you can enter.

Got Hislop;
Hreidderson (scored today :D but put him as reserve :mad: :mad: ), Edman, Mellberg, Jaidi
Duff, Lampard, Downing, someone from Villa I think
Defoe, Henry (captain course), Pederson :eek:

now going to find someone to smack :D boy am I disappointed :eek: (despite expecting us to cock up :rolleyes: )

1 - 20 of 3572 Posts