Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the international break it's at home to Rotherham. They are Rick bottom and are looking doomed already.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The big question for us, is who will play right back.

The candidates:

Jamie Hanson
Chris Baird
Richard Keogh
Ikechi Anya

That seems to be the main for option unless someone like Stabana is brought up from the academy.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Anya is a good shout. In this current system we need our full backs to be the main width to the team. It showed we lacked that with Hanson in the second, it would be even worse with Baird or Keogh playing there.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anya would give us the attacking option we want, but would he be good enough defensively?

I'm sure he's played right back before.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Anya has played right back for Watford and Scotland before, not sure how often though.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the worry with Anya is his height, or lack of. Wouldn't be too good defending crosses. His speed and tenacity will probably see him alright defending down the wing.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Anya playing Right back for Scotland.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Anya hobbled off injured, ffs

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Hopefully that's the case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We saw enough from the second half at wolves to see that we need an attacking full back with the way we play. Anya looks capable, but will probably need. Bit of time to settle into his defensive duties.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Yeah really think Anya should be given a chance. At least until January.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't understand the situation around Anya. Derby pay about £3.5 million for him and then, during television coverage of England vs. Scotland, Clive Tyldesley says that Anya isn't in Derby's first team. Does that mean that he's not in Derby's first team even when he's fully fit? If so, who is keeping him out? £3.5 million seems a lot for 'just a squad player', or maybe it just seems that way to me because Burton, who I watch more often than I watch Derby, can only dream of spending that kind of money on a player:D.

Any news on his injury yet?

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Since McClaren returned, he has played Johnny Russell in the left wing position that Anya had previously been playing in. Incidentally the Scottish Russell doesn't even make their squad and hasn't for quite a while.

That left wing position is probably the most up for debate at the moment. I guess Russell for the nod as he was a regular in McLarens first spell so he knows what he brings to the team, but Anya can feel a bit hard done to to have been left out.

Although in my opinion I think Andreas Wiemann should be first choice left winger and he can even get on the pitch. He was a snip though at £2 million.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was a suggestion that Anya just had cramp, as there has been absolutely no news of an injury from the club, I'm guessing that is the case.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anya did very well when he first came in, but now playing 433 I think Russell and Wiemann are both more natural attacking players. The same with Vydra, where perhaps Bent is showing he is more suited to te lone striker.

These are the problems you have when you let a manager sign new players and then sack him I guess.

Both Anya and Vydra need to find where they fit into this team now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts