Fair play to him.'Rooney to sue The Sun'
Wednesday April 20 2005
Wayne Rooney has launched legal proceedings against The Sun after the newspaper alleged that the Man Utd and England striker slapped fiancee Coleen during a nightclub row.
The claim – which the Sun reported was supported with a sworn statement from a witness – has been categorically denied by both Rooney and Coleen.
The player, who quit as a columnist for The Sun last year following public outrage that he was collaborating with a newspaper still boycotted in some parts of Merseyside because of their shameful coverage of the Hillsborough disaster, believes that the publication is currently running a campaign against him.
"Wayne has been subject to a campaign by the Sun and a lot of it has been totally untrue," a 'source close to the player' told the MediaGuardian. "[Sun editor] Rebecca Wade has made it clear that Wayne is not a proper role model and is looking for a scalp. The campaign against him has become very personal."
Last month the newspaper also carried a story alleging that Rooney had assaulted a student in a Manchester nightclub. The allegation was subsequently dropped.
Rooney has apparently hired media law firm Schillings to begin proceedings against the Sun. MediaGuardian reports that, 'The Sun confirmed it had received a letter from Schillings and said its lawyers were dealing with it but refused to comment further.'
The Sun will definitley be out to get him even moreso now, even if he wins his case.