1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roberto Carlos Wants To Go For Gold In 2004
News Archive

Give me more ! (Allsport)
07/11/2002. Real Madrid left back Roberto Carlos has sensationnally revealed his next personal ambition is the Golden Medal at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. Brazil missed out on the major accolade two years ago in Sydney with Cameroon beating them in the Semis. Now Roberto Carlos - and probably Ronaldo - will do what they can to grab the Gold in Greece.

soccerage ;)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Can they do that?

I thought the Olympic games are for the U-23 NT.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was wondering the same thing too...i thought that each team was allowed to use 2 players who are over 23 or something...

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The Olympians

Oh yes, they can use up to three older players, the remaining 18 guys must be within the age limit. The Olympic Gold Medal is the single footballing honour Brazil never won, so Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Rivaldo, they all want to play the Olympics.

The problem is, only three experienced guys can go... So i think we need to select the U-23 team, and call up the players needed to strenghten the team, so we can complete the best squad possible. So if we have a very good under-23 leftback, we don't need to waste one of the 'older' spots with Roberto Carlos. If we don't find a convincing young goalie, well, we can use Marcos (the first team's GK) as one of the three experienced players. If the available defensive mids don't inspire confidence, we'll just call up a more reliable guy. :)

So I think it's too early to go choosing the 'older' guys, it has to be done carefully to take maximum advantage of the three spots available. ;)

Peace.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
it's also possible that the under-23 team will be so good that NO over-age players will be selected, like in the last olympics. the team luxemburgo put together was fantastic! really, it was a joy to watch them. real shame they didn't win, but they were too cocky.

the players who finally win the olympic gold for brazil will be remembered forever, so all the over-age players want to go.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Falcao,
taht team was not fantastic....i even told you before the tournament they were not all that and that they would not win, that they would flop bad and that is what happened.

I think the 3 over 23 players that will go will be: Emerson, Ronaldo, Rivaldo.

The team in the top of my head without even thincking would probably look something like this in a 442 formation:

1. Rubinho

2. Maicon ? 3. Edu Dracena 4. Marquinhos (Corinthians) 6. Kleber

5. Emerson (Rockemback) 8. Fabricio

8. Kaka 10. Rivaldo ( Gil or Pinga)

9. Ronaldo (Ewerthon) 11. Adriano

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Some Olympic Candidates

Ze da Fiel said:
The team in the top of my head without even thincking would probably look something like this in a 442 formation:

1. Rubinho

2. Maicon ? 3. Edu Dracena 4. Marquinhos (Corinthians) 6. Kleber

5. Emerson (Rockemback) 8. Fabricio

8. Kaka 10. Rivaldo ( Gil or Pinga)

9. Ronaldo (Ewerthon) 11. Adriano
Well Ze, if you selected this without thinking I sure hope the manager thinks. :D Rubinho?!?? :yuck: Get serious. Is Kleber still under 23? I guess he would be an option then, but he really doesn't impress me very much.

Also -- is that Emerson you put on midfield the Emerson from Roma? I thought he was a slow, dim-witted thug in you opinion?
:confused:

I agree that Rochembach, Fabricio, Kaka, Pinga, Ewerthon and Adriano should be there. Maybe that young midfielder from Barcelona as well... whatsisname, Thiago Motta or something...? The players are going away so early these days, we don't really get a chance to know many of them before they mature.

There are others, and this year's Brazilian Championship will feature many youngsters, because all the clubs are going down the drain; the more experienced players are all going away like sand through our fingers. So I guess we'd better wait until the Championship begins, as it's almost certain that several talented kids will 'appear' in most of the big teams. ;) :rolleyes:

Don't they always? :smileani:

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Yes that is Emerson.

I'm putting what i think Felipao would do in a 442....but i think he might continue with his 352.....although our 2 defenders are simply WORLD CLASS;) :cool:

About the new players.

Flamengo is coming up with dowzens...VAsco too. But let's see, I have not been following the COpa dos Campeoes closely.....after all it is only a mickey mouse tournament for the ALL POWERFUL CORINTHIANS...as we are already in the LIbertadores.

Hope Ricardinho stays!;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
But let's see, I have not been following the COpa dos Campeoes closely.....after all it is only a mickey mouse tournament for the ALL POWERFUL CORINTHIANS...as we are already in the LIbertadores.
It's making you needed money!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
ze, if you don't think our last olympic squad was hot, then i guess you don't remember some of the games they played in qualifying. with alex and ronaldinho leading the charge, they played some of the most beautiful football any brazilian team has played in the last 10 years. if that crook luxemburgo had taken the job seriously instead of thinking about increasing his bank account all the time, that team would have EASILY won the first olympic gold for brazil.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Easily, Falcao? I don't think so...

Yeah, that Olympic team was very good - but not the best in the tournament, sadly. IMO Cameroon outplayed us - I don't like it but we have to face these things. :( A better team knocked us out, and once they reached the final they were still the best team and, hey, this time the best team won. Cameroon's final victory made me feel better.

I love football enough that I don't mind it too much when the best team wins. :rolleyes: I mean, of course I get annoyed right after the defeat itself, but time heals all wounds. ;)

And if we don't recognize other teams' merits, how can we gloat about our own merits properly? :D

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
we were all class from top to bottom in that olympic team. the only flaw was the coach: luxemburgo. we should have won that gold. going into the tournament, we were playing really well, good enough to overcome anyone. it was a major disappointment for me that we didn't do it.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Falcao,
BAiano was a joke.... MOZART ?? what was that??:eek: Marcos Paulo an invention of LUxemburgo.

He could have taken a better team with Denilson, Felipe, Pedrinho and Edu. But he took his $$$ frineds $$$ and got what he deserved

I told you we would lose falcao, you din't beelive me and there was it......we lost!:devil: :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts