Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ronaldo, Farewell and Thank You!

On the day or the week where Ronaldo is expected to announce his retirement, this thread serves as a tribute to possibly the best striker that ever graced a football field. I have started watching this legend since his day at PSV at 1995 and since then he has taken the football world by storm with his unbelievable talent. Deep down, I bet all Ronaldo fans ask themselves what if he hadnt missed 5 years of his career due to injuries, would he have exceeded Maradona and Pele? We dont know, but what we do know is that despite the injuries, he remains one of the World's best forwards ever.

Thank you Il Phenomeno, becase you are truly a Phenomenon, for all the great goals and astonishing plays that you gave us accross the years, we are truly lucky to have seen your talent, your great goals and your unbelievable comebacks!

Some of my favorite Ronaldo moments are:
- His incredible goal against Compostela in the Spanigh League after toying 5 defenders
- His unbeliavables comeback in World cup 2002 after 2 years without playing proving he has a god given gift that enabled him to score 8 goals, 2 of them in the Finals against Germany
- His debut with Real Madrid scoring 2 goals against Alaves
- His hatrick against Manchester United in the champions league that earned him a rare standing ovation at the old trafford (he was subbed in the 66th minute. Had he stayed, who knows how many goals he would have scored)
- His 2 goals in the Last game of the 2003 La Liga that won Real Madrid the title
- His last minute goal against Palmeiras in his second game with Corinthians.

Feel free to share your favorite moments of this unbelievale player and offer your tribute to him.

Once again, Thank you Ronaldo for the great memories!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a Cruzeiro fan, the club that revealed Ronaldo to the world, I must say it's a very sad moment because of all that he has done fotr Brazil and the football in general.
I'd like to show you one of my favorite moments of Ronaldo playing with the blue jersey of Cruzeiro, the day he scored 5 goals (yeah, you read it right, five) in 1993, one of them, the funniest goal i've ever seen (the last one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFHwsOq1sI

(in the end of the video he says: "man, did you record that last one?)

·
Tomboy / Second Place Winner, March-April 2011 Ph
586 Posts
Ehehe, cool video :D

As a Barca fan i will always be thankfull for his part in Bcn history ... in the season 1996/97 we finished 2nd in la liga but won 3 cups with big Rolando contributions .... goal that will always stay vivid in my memory as with it we almost won the league (besides that hattrick vs Valencia) :

yE4iVFHHihk

Guy of skills, instinct, speed and no fear ...

Obrigada Fenômeno :heart:

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
The other thread in WFF was invaded by retards and haters, so it's good theres a nice alternative to say goodbye to imo the greatest striker ever, and atleast untill his injury the best player i've ever seen alongside Messi(In his peak he was even better or more impressive then him so i'll say the greatest i've ever seen period, with all due respect to Messi)

I didn't always love him cause of the obviuse reasons (him going to Madrid/Milan), but I always respected and acknowlaged his greatness and I could just never truely hate him... a true phenom.

The fact that he used and abused the football world not even comming near to the peak of his career in Barca and Inter, speaks volumes about how amazing he really was.

I thank god for being able to watch him grow up, even seeing a few of his PSV games where he just mocked the entire dutch league...just like that 'Nike' commercial had back in the day(like 97 or 98) if you guys remember, the "What if you asked god to be the worlds greatest footballer - and he was actually listening" - thats exactly the old Ronaldo.. preety much a perfect striker.. no flaws.

Thank you Fenomeno:( you'll be missed.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
lol can't believe I actually found that ad - there it is.

VOSLYMkXjHs

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Technically wise, my favorite player of all times. It's a sad day, but I knew it was coming sooner and later, as will come for everyone eventually.

Thanks Ronaldo, thanks for everything, for every moment of joy that I experienced when I watch you score goals and rush past defenders like a breeze. :proud:

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Couple more nostalgic vids about him.. very emotional.

TwJnXU5DaaQ

TpD6bKzXRSI

And this is from the french team getting ready to the final in 98 talkin about Ronaldo

6oz1HhLjT9c

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Thanks for sharing Stanko!

My favorite moment was definitely the WC02 final. It was the culmination of a great tournament full of his goals and our victories!

Next would be the CL quarter finals against MU.
I was watching it with a bunch of college friends in a sports bar. they were all man u fans and no barely anyone liked Ronaldo. It was awesome to be celebrating there with his success. 3 wonderful goals!

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
Oh man, that French squad video brought back so many more memories of football back in my early childhood.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Good post Stanko and others too. :thumbsup:

R9, amazingly he was the best but his was also a story of what might have been, which is scary. I used to just wait up for Barca or Inter matches to watch him, his graceful running, the explosive style, the technique, the clinical finishing. Everyone remembers the signature goals but I just loved watching him do things even when he wasn't near the goal, taking a man on in the middle of the park or just creating panic when on the ball. To think how much brutal marking/tackling he used to endure, 'my father would always say, look at him he just gets up, doesn't complain'. A sad day, he hasn't been himself for years now but still when it's official it kind of sinks in.

The distasteful comments of some in the other thread about a player who behaviour was always exemplary is nothing short of disgusting. The guy never wronged anybody in his career while many tried to take advantage of him.

Apart from his talent such a likable lad, I really wish him the best after football.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
I wouldn't say he never wronged anybody tho Lobo, we preety much stabbed us and turned the knife over in our backs moving to Madrid etc and then "hushing" us when he scored with Milan :D

But when you see the likes of Cristiano, Neymar etc it sure makes you appriciate the way he conduct himself on the pitch.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
I wouldn't say he never wronged anybody tho Lobo, we preety much stabbed us and turned the knife over in our backs moving to Madrid etc and then "hushing" us when he scored with Milan :D
Well apparently he didn't like Cuper but we really know Seedorf shouldn't have gone near his wife. :D

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Man I remember that match, Brazil were absolutely brilliant that day, scoreline was real flattering to Argentina. It ended 4-2 but they had several goals disallowed and probably could have scored 10.

R9 :proud:

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Brings back so many memories.. awesome clip, thanks WFA!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Poor Rivaldo, he scored a hat trick that day - the first one to that since Pele in 1963 I believe - and he is overlooked! Ronaldo at his peak.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,467 Posts
Ronaldo born to dribble collection:

[tub]X5Ah5VTcViA[/tub]
Part 1

[tub]V92-xE7LfLk[/tub]
Part 2

[tub]OL35_DwiR1k[/tub]
Part 3

1. Pele
2. Maradona