Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you thoughts on this? He has played there for the last couple of games. Although he performed quite well I just mesmorized how can Rijkaard use a right footed player so deep on the left.

He did drop to the right and roamed a bit, but I still think he should start from the center and then drop where he wants to drop. Specially if you consider the option for the middle Iniesta

What are your thoughts

Garrincha, End, Ze, Rob, Kaiser, Mineiro?!?!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Funny thing is, in the beginning of the season Barça played 4-2-3-1 with Ricardo Quaresma on the right side, Ronaldinho on the middle and Luis Garcia on the left. Now Ronaldinho went to left flank and Luis Garcia switched to right side. If Rijkaard wants to see Ronaldinho as a winger, wouldn't it be wiser if he used him on the right side, leaving Luis Garcia where he was?

I think Ronaldinho should play as a central playmaker. He will do well in any position around the attack since he is a fantastic player, even if they put him as a centerforward he will do well. But putting him as winger limits his game too much. One of his best things is his "dash", the transiction he makes from the middle to attack carrying the ball with amazing speed and technique...doing this on the flanks isn´t as useful as it is on the middle. On the left, even worse, for several times today he lacked his left foot and couldn't go on crossing or shoting.

Even playing in a position which I consider not the best for him, he played a good game and managed to make at least 3 amazing long passes which Luis Garcia and Saviola missed. But these long passes came from plays where he seemed more like a central, making horizontal runs from the left side to the center.

Now Barça plays in a 4-5-1, using 3 defensive midfielders (Xavi, Cocu and Davids) and two wingers (Ronnie and Luis Garcia) and just little skinny Saviola upfront. This is clearly because Rijkaard does not trust his defense, which seemed horrible today (especially Marquez, who's good tecnhnically but lacked speed and good positioning today) so he´s trying to tighten his midfield so the poor defense line won´t suffer a lot.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He would only cross with his right foot doing a trivela on the left side and Xavi was non existent today on the pitch, he lacks the strenght to play as a DM. But Cocu and Davids had a nice game.

Roberto you want to bet that once Iniesta is back he will be the "central playmaker" :D

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I don´t think Xavi was bad today, Gerrard came in from him and didn´t do anything especial. Davids showed that he´s a fighter and Cocu tried two good long shots, and that was all.

If Xavi isn´t strong, I would say the same about Maldonado, Albertini or Pirlo. All great DMs but not very strong physically. Of course they need "guard dogs" at their side, like Augusto Recife and Gattuso. Xavi has Davids.

Iniesta played in the last match as a right-winger, and I think that Rijkaard´s idea now is to not use central playmakers. This is how it worked in the last two matches.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets see if its true then, I think he might play Ronaldinho - Iniesta - Quaresma/Garcia

About DM, I do agree about Pirlo and Albertini but Maldonado is pretty strong. But know Barça has Davids to be Xavi´s Gatusso, although Davids ventures a little bit foward then most guard dogs

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I think what Rijkaard is doing is, because Ronaldinho is always performing to a high level, he's trying to move him aside to at least let him do what he can while other guys try. I can't really come up with a good explanation though.

If he's going to insist on 3 AMs, then at least put Ronaldinho on the right of the 3, and put Iniesta next to him. That way, The creative pressure isn't just on Ronaldinho, and the little time he and Iniesta have played together they have been immense. Plus, he would be on his right side.

It seems pretty obvious that a coach would want to play guys on their natural side, Rijkaard has played Ronaldinho on the left, but played left winger Luis Garcia on the right wing. And the game tonight he played Gerard, Davids AND Xavi. Xavi and Davids would be a good pairing defensively, and both being able to attack as well would be able to support an attacking 3 of Overmars/Garcia, Iniesta and of course the Boss.

But of course why do that when you can play magicians like Ronaldinho out left, play 3 defensive mids, lead the line with tiny Saviola alone, and play midfielders in defence.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
I see nothing unusual in putting right footed player on the left flank. This way, he is much more dangerous when he is dribbling into the middle, since he will have the ball at his best foot. I remember Capello using Savicevic (left footed player) on the right flank in Milan and Savicevic had a fantastic season that time. The only question about Ronaldinho is, whether he would not be more effective in the middle, where he could play more balls? I think it would be better if Ronaldinho played in the middle, however in principal, I think putting right footed player to the left flank is just one of possible options.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
OAnimal said:
I see nothing unusual in putting right footed player on the left flank. This way, he is much more dangerous when he is dribbling into the middle, since he will have the ball at his best foot. I remember Capello using Savicevic (left footed player) on the right flank in Milan and Savicevic had a fantastic season that time. The only question about Ronaldinho is, whether he would not be more effective in the middle, where he could play more balls? I think it would be better if Ronaldinho played in the middle, however in principal, I think putting right footed player to the left flank is just one of possible options.
In discussing Ronaldinho alone, there is no doubt that he could do it better than 90% of natural left wingers. But if he starts on the left, it's obvious he will drift in towards the middle and towards the box a lot. And with central midfielder turned emergency left back Giovanni van Bronckhorst, we're going to be pitifully weak down the left side, and other teams will take advantage.

If we had a really strong left back (and I mean like a Maldini type), Ronaldinho could play there and that would allow both defensive strength and various attacking options. But for me Ronaldinho has to play central. He can still roam the pitch and do his thing, but the flanks will be covered by 2 side specific players each.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a good point there Visca, all the good attacks came from the right side of Bilbao. At least on the second half Gio was supporting to much the attack and leaving a huge open space.

That would only work if Xavi was covering that side, but it seems there is no tactical scheme there is no such thing as cover.

OAnimal yes if he cuts in he will have the good leg, but the best part is crossing on the run on counters and that makes a little bit more difficult. Forcing him to dribble will just result in more mistakes and maybe even cost a counter attack. Like Visca said put him on the right and give him some freedom to move in and let Overmars on the left, but I don´t think he can play 90min.

Much better than having Quaresma or Luis Garcia on the right and Ronaldinho on the left. At least Overmars and Ronaldinho have better shots.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Rijkaard is nothing more then a fool. Last night, we should have definately won that game. But what in the hell was Rijkaard thinking, playing without a right-winger? Ronaldinho moved to the left wing position in the 2nd half but he more or less had a free role IMO. Kluivert should have been playing the whole game. No doubt in my mind that the ref was horrible, that penalty on Roni was as obvious as they will ever come. A blind man would sense that it was a PK.

Not to mention, Rijkaard doesn't seem to let both Kluivert and Saviola play. I don't blame him because Saviola is way too weak, but the guy needs to get it together. Last night, Barca outplayed Bilbao with their talents but got out-coached. Simple as that.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Visca, I agree with what you wrote too, I just think that Rijkaard probably tried this on training as an option and then he tried it in the game as well. It's a possibility, but Ronaldinho's place is in the middle as you said.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Ronaldinho IMO is so good that he can play anywhere. He is right footed but just like Candela used to play right defender with Zeman, he now plays left wing under Capello. And in his days he was great there. So sure, Ronaldinho can give more on the right or center but even in the left he can still give a lot to the team.
IMO.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ze da Fiel said:
Litenit:

I have not seen 1 single game of Barcelona this season... so whatever i say it cannot be applied;)
Ok, but come your mommy Dina ;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I just saw the 3 lobs that he did in the defender though. Classic.;)

Cafu did taht to Nedved a couple of seasons ago.... humiliation at its best:D :D :D :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

that's my BOY:cool:

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that was pretty brill :D if he was in Brasil the defender would probably bust his knees. It was not something with a purpose he just did to piss of the defender, the cool thing was that he did a couple of embaixadas before the lob :howler:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts